Northwest Native: Show Us Your Books [March 2017]

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Show Us Your Books [March 2017]

It's time again to link up with Steph & Jana to talk about one of my favorite things--books!
Life According to Steph

Read...

The Girl Before - J.P. Delaney ****
I really loved the bulk of this book. It had my attention and kept me guessing. I just wasn't crazy about the ending.

Picture Perfect - Jodi Picoult ***
Based on my reviews of this book and Second Glance, I'm thinking I'm just not a huge fan of Picoult's earlier work. My Goodreads review: I liked the story and the characters, but at times it was slow and felt really long.

One Plus One - Jojo Moyes ****
I found the first half to be pretty boring, but loved the second half!

The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland - Rebekah Crane ****1/2
I loved this book. I had pretty low expectations because it was a Kindle first book. I also thought it would be more on the younger side of young adult (I mean, it's about teenagers at summer camp) but I thought it was on the older side, and it was totally enjoyable as an adult.

The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd ****
I found this book to be really endearing. I loved all the characters and the whole "coming of age" aspect. I feel like the whole 'I was prejudiced and didn't know it' is so prevalent today--maybe more people need to go live with people of different backgrounds for a while and realize it...

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey ****
I'd say this was a four through most of the book, but the ending was more like 4.5-5. I don't want to say more because I don't want to give anything away. I actually read this for Erin's Book Challenge Bonus Round (book set in my state) and I'm so glad the challenge made me do it, because I wasn't very interested in it before. Along with the story itself, I loved the name-dropping of all the places around where I live!

Currently reading...

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Next up...

In no particular order, I intend to read a mix of books I own (they're accumulating quickly--I've never had this problem before!), popular books that are going to become movies soon (because books are always better!), and the oldest books on my TBR (from 2011) since I seem to always add more and then read the newly added ones first. If I still want to read a book more than five years later, I figure it's about time I read it.
Owned: The Butterfly GardenMe & Earl & The Dying GirlThe Mutual Admiration SocietyOnly the TruthSisters One, Two, ThreeWater for ElephantsEverything We KeepCan You Keep A Secret?Let Me Explain, The Practice House, Boy Meets Depression
Soon-to-be movies: Everything, Everything & Before I Fall, Thirteen Reasons Why (which is becoming a Netflix series, not a movie)
Oldest on my TBR: The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes & The Things We Do For Love

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

33 comments:

  1. I like how you've organized/planned your books to read. Makes sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Me, Earl, & The Dying Girl and Everything, Everything. I was able to get through EE in a day, because it was such an easy read. It definitely reminded me of a YA version of Me Before You, but I cannot wait to see the movie.
    I'm definitely wanting to read Before I Fall (the movie looks great) and Thirteen Reasons Why (before April, because I will 100% binge the show!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Adding One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland to my TBR list now!
    Also adding Sisters One, Two, Three and The Mutual Admiration Society :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved One Plus One, though I agree it started a little slow. I added Everything, Everything to my TBR after reading Jana's review. Excited to hear what you think too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you're also looking at the bottom of your TBR list. I've read a lot so far this year, but haven't even touched one of the six books I own that I wanted to read before June, so I need to get on those. So happy to hear you liked Loving Grover Cleveland so much, I haven't heard much about it, but it's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything Everything is a priority for me before the movie!! I liked One Plus one a lot!! I'm in the middle of The Girl Before right now and I can already tell I am going to have to finish it tonight. Cannot stop thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cant wait to hear what you think about Everything Everything! I loved that book. & saw where they're making it a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grover Cleveland is in my Kindle (which is probably the weirdest sentence I will ever write).

    Picoult's earlier stuff is hit or miss. The Pact was excellent if you haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the last two. Grover is also on my kindle and I'm waiting on The Girl Before from the library.

    Have you read Plain Truth? It's my favorite earlier Jodi Picoult. I also liked The Pact as Jana mentioned above. The only book of hers I hated was The Tenth Circle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read The Secret Life of Bees in high school and remember really enjoying it! One of my friends in a different English class had to read it for school, and she enjoyed it so much she gave it to me as a birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Everything, Everything. Can't wait to hear what you think! I need to read The Secret Life of Bees soon. I felt the same way about One Plus One. The first half was super boring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never read a Picoult book before, but everybody seems to love her so maybe I'll give her a try eventually. I'm adding The Odds Of Loving Grover Cleveland to my TBR list because it sounds really interesting! You had another great month of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed One Plus One and The Girl Before. I've only seen the movie of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and it was really good. I should read the book and see how it compares. Generally, I like books better than the movie, although sometimes when I see and like a movie first, the book isn't quite as good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland sounds like a good one! I'm going to have to look for that. I loved The Secret Life of Bees!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really need to read more by JoJo Moyes! I'm so excited for the Thirteen Reasons Why series - I hope you get to read it soon.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Girl Before is on my list. i'm intrigued about the ending. one day i'll get there lol. i loved one plus one <3 i need to work on the oldest books on my tbr. i hope you like butterfly garden when you get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I see your next up and just so you know, I adored Before I Fall and the movie? Is amazing too! Also, 13 Reasons Why is phenomenal, I can't wait for it to come out on Netflix. And get tissues prepared for Water for Elephants (the movie is nowhere near as good).

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Secret Life of Bees is one of my all-time favorites. :) Glad you enjoyed it! Surprisingly looking into the odds of loving grover cleveland. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the Girl Before, but I do feel like the ending could have been way better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Water for Elephants! Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so embarrassed to say that I haven't read most of these books :( I must catch up! I absolutely LOVED Water for Elephants and Everything We Keep however. Thanks so much for sharing (and helping me expand my must-read list!). Also I just saw Erin's post about this--I love this fun linkup! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh man, Secret Life of Bees--that takes me back! We had to read that going into college! I remember it being sweet too--and one kid's name being Zachary Taylor (maybe? definitely the same name as some obscure president!).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bought The Secret Life of Bees at a used book sale and have been meaning to read it. Heck, I have about 157 books I've "been meaning to read" LOL! I just need to carve out the time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 100% agree about One Plus One. As soon as I hear a book is about to be turned into a movie, i move it to the top of my "to-read" list! always gotta read the book first!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm currently reading Everything Everything. The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland on my kindle. Can't wait to read it!
    Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Invention of Wings by Sue Mon Kid is also really wonderful
    I also enjoyed Water for Elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for making me add more books to my to-read list! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland was my book club's pick last month, but I couldn't go to the meeting so I didn't read it. I'm gonna add it to my list now! The Secret Life of Bees has been on my list forever. I also need to go through the books I own and get those out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have been wanting to read one plus one, but haven't yet. I will add it to my list. I also wanted to read The Girl Before. Sad that you didn't like the ending, but that the book was overall good.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think we have the same interest in books!!! My lists look soooo much like yours! Lets be friends on Goodreads!! My profile: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/184371-kristi
    I found you through Book Challenge By Erin 6.0!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i hope you're liking everything everything. i read that last month and enjoyed it, but my opinion may have been a little skewed because the two books i'd read before it were dark and boring.

    also the secret life of bees, YES. it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just wanted to stop by and say I've been thinking about ya, friend! Hope all is well! <3

    ReplyDelete