Northwest Native: Confessions [2.1.17]

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Confessions [2.1.17]

It's been a while, so I'm excited to link up with Nadine & Kathy for Confessions!

These things are amazing. They're made in Oregon, so I don't know if they're distributed around the country, but if they are you should try them! They also come in plain peanut butter and dark chocolate peanut butter, but I haven't tried those yet.

We've been wanting a bookshelf for quite some time now. Our books filled half of our storage coffee table and then we had some that were just sitting around. So on Saturday we found a bookshelf for only $28 at Target and used a $25 gift card on it. I set it up while Michael played basketball and when it was all done and I stood it up...it looked like this. :(
See the raw edge on the bottom sides of the shelf? *Sigh* We're just going to get black paint and paint that part. It was a cheap bookshelf and it serves its purpose (and it's just in a guest room). Side note: those are all Harry Potter Funko Pops. Michael is obsessed with collecting them and has accumulated those in about six months.

Also on Saturday, we bought the Ecobee Lite thermostat that I wanted. We bought it at Home Depot because we had $100 worth of gift cards from Christmas and Michael's birthday...and then we got home and realized you have to actually do something with the furnace itself. Our furnace is in an attic crawlspace and we only have a four foot ladder, which isn't tall enough. We opened the thermostat, so I'm not sure if we can return it. I'd prefer to get a full-size ladder and get it done, but we also don't know if we're savvy enough to even figure out how to do it once we can reach the furnace. Does anyone else have experience changing out their thermostat for a "smart" one and having to mess with the furnace? Is it difficult?

This Muslim ban crap has me so angry. In November, I decided I would start a monthly donation to some sort of social justice organization. I ended up going with the ACLU, and I'm so happy with that decision now based on all that's happening and how they're fighting. I was also super happy to see the below message in my Bloglovin' feed, to see Starbucks planning on hiring refugees, and to see companies like Lyft pledge large donations. I'm also proud to see Nike (founded and headquartered here in Oregon) making a statement (okay, technically it was an email to all employees, but it has since been published online) against the ban. (Obviously, the happiness over these things doesn't overpower my burning rage, but it's nice to see like-minded businesses and individuals fighting for what's right.)

Michael is a Twitter fiend, and he saw a tweet where someone suggested volunteering at your local mosque. He found our local mosque and saw that they do have volunteer opportunities as well as interfaith meetings. He contacted them and we've been added to the volunteer list. I'm excited to meet people who are different from me and to support a group that is being marginalized unfairly. I never would've thought to do this, so I wanted to include it as a PSA to anyone out there who isn't sure what they can do! Obviously, it's not an action that will change political policy, but it's a way to stand in solidarity with your fellow human beings.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

20 comments:

  1. BEEN THERE with the bookshelf mishap. Like, how hard would it actually be for them to just finish all the damn edges... lol.
    I'm impressed with Michael's Funko Pop collection. I have thought about starting a collection many many times, but I just see me spiraling down a rabbit hole and waving goodbye to any and all money...
    Good call on the donating! And that's so awesome that Michael found a mosque to volunteer at!! I didn't know that was a thing but I will have to see about the ones a little north of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a snack, gimmie those puffs, yum!! We have many a cheap bookshelves around our house and yep, all that matters is they hold our entertainment treasures!! I hope you have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing - good for you for your recurring donations to ACLU and your potential volunteer opportunity. I think that's all we can do right now, right? Just do whatever little we can to feel like we're doing SOMETHING. Also, that bookshelf would've driven me nuts too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the bookshelf I thought it was interesting that the bottom was narrow, but thought it was the design- LOL. Then I looked closer and noticed it was just the edges, but painting it will totally fix it and for that price you definitely can't complain! So awesome that you guys are going to volunteer at your local mosque. I think I say like 5x a day that this can't be real life-- which isn't helpful, but I still can't wrap my mind around what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen those peanut butter puffs, but they look amazing. I am going to look online and see if they are sold locally. I wanted that thermostat too. I saw it at Home Depot as well, but we haven't decided if we are getting it or not. Let me know if you like it if it gets installed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you volunteering. That's so inspiring. Its going to take people taking action in a positive way to make a difference in all this choas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two are AMAZING!! Volunteering at a mosque is an incredible idea! I also started monthly donations to PP and ACLU after the election, but made two extra donations this weekend. I couldn't help it! I love all the company's that are pledging their support. Even had my favorite game app (Two Dots) opened with a statement and a link to the ACLU donation page on Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh dont get me started on Target's cheaper shelves. I bought two of 3-shelf ones from the same collection as yours last week and I worked on one of them for an hour because it just wasnt going together right..and then I realized one of the shelves was cracked. I was so angry I boxed that crap right up and it will be going back. I am not even opening the other one. GRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did that when I put together my bookshelf and I had to take it all apart and fix it - so frustrating!

    I love that you and Michael signed up to volunteer - so inspiring! I can't even look at Facebook or Twitter lately without getting super stabby feelings. Ughhh

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a bummer about your bookshelf, but at least it's kind of far away from everything else in a guest room, and I bet that the black paint will fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so great you were added to the mosque volunteer list! :) Those puffs look super good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah sucks when those things happen like what happened with the bookshelf had it happen to us with different shelves

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay. I am sitting here with my hands over the keyboard because I don't know how to convey how proud of you I am without sounding condescending or patronizing. I think volunteering at a local mosque is an incredible thing for you and Michael to do, and I look forward to hearing your personal stories from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol on the bookshelf! I feel like putting together furniture like that and messing up is almost a right of passage, ha! I love all the HP stuff! And GREAT idea about the mosque volunteerism.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a Target bookshelf too! Luckily, my bf at the time volunteered to put it together for me, although I think he had some extra screws leftover or some other semi-concerning thing, nbd. And HOORAY for volunteering! That's so cool!! I called my Senator for the first time ever this week, which is something I never thought I would do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so great you guys are volunteering there. Nice try w. the bookcase-I wouldn't want to take it apart and switch the panels either-black paint sounds ideal

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've definitely made the bookshelf mistake before when putting items together! I'm glad you found an easy solution! -Janell (3arrows.weebly.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a Muslim it moves me to hear of how people are coming out to support us and learn to look past all the hate and find out what Islam is really about.
    as for the thermostat Home Depot is pretty lax with its return policy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ughh sorry the thermostat might not work out! We just returned a whole bunch of stuff to Home Depot and now it feels like Christmas because we've got store credit haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh those sound crazy! We have a ton of those cheap shelves. It's a bummer when a piece gets put on backwards. : / OH well, paint is a good solution. That's so many Funko pops! I like them, KC got me two for xmas but we aren't really collecting them. Everything about politics and really a lot of society just makes me so angry right now. I just cannot even. I've been hiding in books this month... but January was BRUTAL. :( XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete