Northwest Native: Show Us Your Books [January 2017]

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Show Us Your Books [January 2017]

Since posting my review of what I read in 2016, I've finished eight books. Three of them were read fully in 2016, so that brought my 2016 total up! Linking up with Steph & Jana and hopefully making this a monthly thing!
Life According to Steph

Read...

I made the mistake of reading this right after reading A Mother's Reckoning. While I rated both five stars and recommend them both, I do not recommend reading them one after the other. It took an emotional toll for sure.

I've heard so many mixed reviews of this book over the years. My Goodreads friends who have read it have rated it every single star rating. Some of my friends hated it, some absolutely loved it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought the writing was great in this book. It just has a haunting feel, even during the setup. I don't know if that makes sense at all, but it might if you read it. Anyway, it would've been four stars if it hadn't been SO. SLOW. A couple of my Goodreads friends (including Steph herself, actually) said the same in their reviews, so fair warning.

As you know, I love me some psychological thrillers. There is a HUGE twist that I totally didn't see coming and I loved it. There's a slightly smaller twist that I half expected, but it was definitely a great thriller (but I wouldn't call it scary at all, if you're worried about that).

So, I really loved this at first, then at one point I was like, "Why is there so much going on?" and then I liked the ending. It was a solid read.
+1 for Erin's Book Challenge - freebie (5 points)

Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt ****
I'll be honest, when I first started reading this I thought, "What have I gotten myself into?" Apparently a lot of people listen to it, but I just don't think audiobooks are my thing, so I read it, and the Irish accent and the Irish terms took a while to get used to. And I was a little bored. I think at about 25% I started to get more into it. It was funny, it was sad, and it was interesting to see how the Irish lived back then, both in Ireland and in the U.S.
+1 for Erin's Book Challenge - genre you rarely read (classics) (30 points)

Attachments - Rainbow Rowell *****
I adored this book. I have tried to think of another way to say this (so I don't end up using a cheesy pun), but I was really attached to the characters. I thought the plot was unique and fun too.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Hadden *****
I loved Christopher and seeing the world through his eyes. It was a little different than I expected, but in a good way.
+1 for Erin's Book Challenge - Rory Gilmore book (30 points)

Erin's Book Challenge progress...

3/10 books
65/200 points
See my full list here and my Goodreads shelf for the challenge here.

Currently reading...

If I Stay for Erin's Book Challenge, because it's one of a million books that became available from my hold list at one time.

Next up...

Probably Small Great Things because I got it for Christmas and I'm dying to read it and, bonus, it's part of my book challenge list!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

29 comments:

  1. I feel so behind - everyone else has actually gotten started on the challenge and I'm over here like, "I guess I could start my first one..." Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got around to reading Paper Towns. I enjoyed it (John Greene always makes me laugh out loud and sob in his books simultaneously!), but the story line just kind of irked me.
    I really enjoyed the Couple Next Door, too, but definitely thought there was a ton going on, as well. I enjoyed the twist within the twist within the twist! Lol.
    I'd love to talk to you about I Let You Go and the twist you expected and the one you didn't!!!
    And I want to check out Columbine. I've been wanting to read A Mother's Reckoning, but hadn't heard of Columbine. I'll make sure not to read them consecutively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I am still picking my 6.0 books and have barely read since right before xmas. LOL Ready to get back into it, I just linked up my 2016 favorites since I missed that linkup! hehe I definitely want to read more thrillers this year! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mind Paper Towns but really want to still see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your thoughts on Attachments. That was such a cute book. I want to re-read it sometime. Probably my favourite of hers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great that you've finished 8 more books. I just finished the book that I was reading & I'm going to be starting a new book tonight. Not sure what yet. I'm on Goodreads too.
    http://therantingsofadramaqueensmum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing great with Erin's challenge! I've got one done with two started. I saw Columbine on sale at the book store and I almost got it, but I just don't know if I'm strong enough to handle it. I don't usually read books like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm listening to the audiobook for Angela's Ashes right now! It's my "Rory Gilmore" book for the challenge. I heard McCourt speak at a conference once and loved him, so that may be helping me enjoy it.

    And YAY for another Paper Towns lover :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a long long time, but I absolutely loved Angela's Ashes. I also liked his other book, Teacher Man, and his brother Malachy's books as well. Big fan of the McCourts here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You Will Know Me sounds interesting but i really dislike super slow books. i really liked i let you go, i agree, not scary but thriller-y. not my normal kind of book and i loved it. the couple next door is on my list. i listened to angela's ashes, i'm not sure i could have read it. it was depressing, but he told it well. i freaking LOVED attachments! so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep meaning to pick up The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time! I saw the play a couple weeks ago without knowing anything about it and it was so good! I can only imagine the book is good as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Couple Next Door, I need to read it after everybody gave it such great reviews! Attachments will be my next Rainbow Rowell book once I actually get around to reading it! My friend that told me about her in the first place keeps on telling me it'll be my favorite by her. And you're kicking some major butt for Erin's Challenge! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man. I have not started Erin's 6.0 Challenge but hopefully this week I will pick up Fangirl. Attachment is on my TBR, I think. And I love I Let You Go. It's definitely not scary, like you said, but an atmospheric thriller in my mind. The Couple Next Door is on my TBR too. So many great books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have many thoughts about many books on your list so I will be brief instead so as not to make this an entire post. Attachments and E&P are my two favorite Rowell books! The Curious Incident is amazing, as is Angela's Ashes. The Couple Next Door was good but not great for me. I adored Paper Towns so I'm glad to see someone else liked it, too. Columbine is absolutely on my TBR and I read Sue Klebold's book. Very mixed feelings about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to read I Let You Go! I did think You Will Know Me was slow, but I really liked the gymnastics element, so it worked for me. You've done so great on Erin's challenge so far! I've only finished two books in 2017 at this point. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the women in attachments. the guy not so much, but the story is interesting and well written. i'm glad you liked it. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also... rowell's got a fantastic short story in this: http://www.smartassdirect.com/2017/01/my-true-love-gave-to-me-twelve-holiday.html.

      Delete
  17. I own Columbine, so I plan to finally read that this year. I'm glad you liked Paper Towns - I really did too. I thought the friend group was lots of fun! :)

    LOVED Attachments as well. I need to read the rest of Rainbow's books (I've only read Fangirl by her apart from Attachments).

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that I see the cover of Columbine, I remember that I tried to read it a few years ago. I know I never finished it but now I'm interested in reading it again! I keep seeing The Couple Next Door on everyone's list too. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I thoroughly enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've had Columbine on my TBR for years, but am still too chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I whole-heartedly agree with what you said about Attachments. It is not a normal genre that I fall for, but I fell for (and got attached) to those characters as well.
    You're doing awesome at the challenge. I love seeing your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that basketball is over I'm thinking about reading some more! Any recommendations?! I like Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, John Green... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have owned I let you go for months now and haven't gotten to it yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You read EIGHT more books since your post on books you read in 2016?! Speed-reader!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the book recommendations. And way to go on reading all of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I keep hearing that I should read Rainbow Rowell's books so I'm going to do it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really loved The Couple Next Door, it was one of those books that I read within 24 hrs. Too hard to put down!

    -- Dara || www.peoniesandhoneybees.com

    ReplyDelete