Northwest Native: Coffee Date [1.16.17]

Monday, January 16, 2017

Coffee Date [1.16.17]

I've seen a lot of people format their blog posts as if they're having coffee with their readers, and I've always wanted to try it out, so here we go!


If we were having coffee... Hopefully we would be at my new favorite coffee shop that we went to for the first time on Saturday, Solace & Fine Espresso. Our drinks were delicious, and a lot of their signature coffee drinks have punny names, which is my favorite. For example, I got the James Blonde, which was white chocolate, praline, and caramel, and Michael got The Chosen Juan which was jalapeno and white chocolate. And it's all local coffee, which is always a plus.

If we were having coffee... I would tell you about the crazy snow storm here. On Tuesday night it started snowing like crazy. By our measurement, we had about eight inches. A lot of you probably think that's nothing, but that's a ton for the PNW. For example, last winter it snowed all of once and we got a dusting, not even a measurable amount. This winter it has snowed five separate times, and I've had to work from home a total of seven days (two days one week, two days another, and Wednesday-Friday last week). This storm was big enough that it was even included in The Skimm, which basically made my life. And here are some snapshots I took on a Thursday evening walk.

If we were having coffee... I would tell you how much I love a good book deal. In the past week, I got the Kindle versions of The Butterfly Garden and What She Knew for $2 each and I found The Time Traveler's Wife for $2.99 at Goodwill.

If we were having coffee... I would explain how I've been missing reading blogs and replying to comments the past few days because work has been insane, and my free time has been spent reading and watching Stranger Things (because Michael finally agreed to start it on Friday night!). We finished it, and I loved it! A few observations: Nancy looks exactly like Emmy Rossum. Also, does anyone else have a major crush on Chief Hopper? Just me? Okay, moving on...

If we were having coffee... I might tell you about how Facebook ads crushed my dreams. This shirt was in my ads, and it was maybe the most 'me' shirt I've ever seen...annnnd it turns out it's girls' sizing. But on the plus side (or not, because things cost money...) I found about a billion other things I want for myself, like this shirt in "Rose all day" and "Espresso then prosecco," this top in the red stripes and blue stripes, this floral sweatshirt, and this dress.

If we were having coffee... I might mention my new obsession with getting myself a pair of navy blue leather Nike Cortez sneakers. I see so many women wearing black Nike athletic shoes with their everyday outfits and I love the look of it, but I can't wear Nikes because they're so narrow unless I wear men's. I don't really want to buy men's athletic shoes, but I really love the look of the Cortez, and they're cheaper than buying Nike workout shoes.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

26 comments:

  1. First and foremost: Love your mug. Also, I have the same one :D

    Those coffee names are the best! And I saw that your snowstorm made The Skimm! I'm so jealous of your snow- it's gorgeous. Ohio keeps getting freezing weather with no snow, then unusually warm weather with rain. UGH.
    We haven't watched Stranger Things because I don't know if it's something we'd like, but I've heard nothing but great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love creative coffee drink names! So far we have had a pretty mild winter, even though it's only part way through January. I haven't given Stranger Things a try, I keep hearing about it but I haven't bothered to look into what it's even about. I think The Crown is going to be next on my Netflix watch list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you guys have a ton of snow! Normally we have had a snowstorm or two (or more) by now but we have yet to get anything over an inch that really sticks for awhile. We watched Stranger Things shortly after it was added to Netflix & I thought it was good. I'm not a huge sci-fi fan but I liked the story & how it was set in the 1980s. I can't wait until the second season! I love those Nikes & have always wanted a pair! I struggle with Nikes too because they run so small. I can never order a pair online because I have no idea how they will fit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good bargain book deal! I don't have the time to explore bookstores too much (and have sort of learned my lesson about accumulating too many hard copy books that I never end up getting to), but I used to love going to used bookstores and picking out new books.

    Stranger Things is fabulous. I wasn't sure it was for me, based on the reviews and the concept, but I started watching not long after it was released and was hooked. I managed to get K into it too, and it took us only a few days to finish watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont trust the FB ads anyways - its where I got a Gilmore sweatshirt & its the cheapest made thing EVERRRRRRRR.
    I always said the girl on Stranger Things looks like Emmy Rossum too! #greatminds
    All the snow. So pretty on the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those coffee drink names are the best. And I would kill (ha!) for a James Blonde right now. All that snow is gorgeous. A pain to drive in, no doubt, but beautiful. It's been really rainy in LA, which is a good thing. We need it but it's been weird having it so gloomy here. Today is sunny so even natures respects MLK. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to finding books on sale! I signed up for the Goodreads Deals and BookBub emails and I love when I can find a book that I've been dying to read super on sale! Although I'm on a self inflicted no spend January, so I have to immediately delete those emails so I don't buy anything! That coffee place sounds like a place that I'd love too, and the coffee that Michael tried with the jalapeno sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is embarrassing how many times I have clicked on old navy ads dead-set on buying something, only to realize it was a children's clothes advertisement. I can't help it that they have the cutest cloths!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If we were having coffee I would be having hot chocolate, and enjoying the hang out

    ReplyDelete
  10. If the shoes fit, buy them.

    The last snow/trees photo is gorgeous.

    I love sale books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, I've been missing your posts! :) 8 inches of snow would be be a lot here too, bleh. But working from home due to weather is always nice! And Nikes totally fit me weird too! I thought it was just me! Wahh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always wonder where blogger trends start, like coffee dates! I'm so so glad you are doing this because it's such a fun post and you knocked it outta the park. I feel like we really went to coffee! :)

    I can't believe last year it only snowed once for you & was just a dusting, especially compared to this year! And those pics are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That second picture of the snow in the trees is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've gotten more snow this Winter than the last 3 Winters combined - its crazy! And we've still got at least another 3 months of Winter left - eeek! That Espresso then Prosecco shirt has somehow found its way into my shopping cart... haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I finally got a new pair of Nikes (for $31 at the outlets!!!) and I seriously wear them for everything. I wanted a darker pair (because I normally go for the bright/colorful), and I love that they match everything. They are black but also a little teal/purple. I'm obsessed! Girl, that's a LOT of snow and it looks dreamy!! Glad you're staying safe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these "If we were having coffee" posts :) So fun! Wow, you guys got a lot of snow!! We haven't had much yet this winter (knocks wood) in New Jersey, which is definitely unusual for us. Expresso then Prosecco = cute slogan!

    Also HOW GOOD IS STRANGER THINGS?! Amazing, right??? I can't wait for it to return to TV. Hope you are having a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love the snow storm photos. And the coffee date format is the best for just a generalized update

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe how much snow you guys have gotten!!! It looks amazingly beautiful but it's probably also inconvenient! -- Lisa | Naptime Chai

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the coffee date posts. And I am so glad you are reading What She Knew because I am reading it as well. I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I am half way through. Can you believe all the snow the west coat got? And we have another storm coming. Ugh. Too much snow. Love the pictures though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw fox mug! So cute! I love these types of posts too. That's an incredible amount of snow for you guys. Here it has been rainy and feels like spring. I guess that's what Kansas is in the mood for right now. ha, whatever. I love the punny names, KC is all about puns. He wants to watch Stranger Things but we've not been watching ANY TV. At all, but when we do I'll keep a look out for your observations. hehe Kindle daily deals are the best and also the worst. ha XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm bummed I missed out on this post! For some reason, it didn't show up in my Bloglovin'. All that snow is amazing! Also, I'm all about that coffee shop with punny names!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your snow pictures are dreamy! I definitely don't miss all the snow ( I spent last winter up in Minnesota.) However, I do love a good snow day here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhhh I love the snow photos! So pretty!!!! Those Nikes are cute! I cant really wear Nikes because they don't support my high arches. I have the hardest time finding shoes that are comfortable. That stinks the shirt was a kids size, rude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I cannot believe all the snow in Portland! I feel bad for the kids that will be in school till the end of June to make up for all those snow days. The traffic looks like such a nightmare every time, but man, it's so pretty. I always want to buy Nikes but they don't fit me well either. Boo.

    BTW, I'm blogging again! I have a new domain though: www.easilyentertained.net

    ReplyDelete
  25. That much snow is always crazy-- especially when it happens somewhere it isn't normal. I'm praying we don't get a major storm here like we have the past few years. The snow does look so pretty with all the pines! Love the name of your coffee drink & it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete