Northwest Native: Erin's Book Challenge 6.0

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Erin's Book Challenge 6.0

Hi friends! I'm participating in Erin's Book Challenge 6.0 and thought I would share my list with you. In the past few months, I've become even more of a reading fiend, so I felt like I needed to blog about books and reading more. The challenge has 10 categories. I've picked out nine books. I only do challenges if I can find books I already wanted to read, so for this one, I picked a bunch of books I wanted to read but hadn't gotten around to it, or books that I knew were going to be in my next few books that I read.

via GIPHY - I think I've decided I will include this gif in all of my future book posts. Yay Scrubs!

5 points: Freebie - Read a book that is at least 200 pages. I haven't decided on this one yet--whatever book becomes available to me at the library will be it! Or maybe one of the handful of books that I own but haven't gotten around to reading.
10 points: Read a book that starts with the letter "W." Wonder by R.J. Palacio
10 points: Read a book with six words in the title. All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
15 points: Read a book that has a (mostly) green cover. Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman
20 points: Read a book with a homonym in the title. Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
20 points: Read a book by your favorite author. Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
25 points: Read a book set in the state where you live. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
30 points: Read a book from a genre that you've never read (or rarely read). Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (classics)
35 points: Read a book with time travel. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

I'm happy for the 'favorite author' category because I was going to read Small Great Things as soon as possible, anyway. I'm also really happy that The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was on Rory's list, because for some reason, that is the book that keeps eluding me. I've thought multiple times that I wanted it to be my next book, but the hold list was really long or whatever other reason kept me from it. Also, I'm the last person on the planet to read If I Stay, and I even saw the movie. I totally forgot it was set in Oregon though, which I remembered being excited about when watching the movie. As for Angela's Ashes...I had this book on my TBR, even though the only classics I've read have been for school assignments, for the most part. But then I saw that Harry Potter was listed on the classics list on Goodreads...which kind of makes sense, but I always think of classics as being ooooold. Like, old old. But then I just looked and saw that Angela's Ashes was originally published in 1996. I don't know why I thought it was much older.

Here is my Goodreads list for the challenge, which runs January 1st through April 30th, so I obviously haven't started yet! (Also, if you want to be friends on Goodreads, add me!)

Have you ever done a reading challenge? Have you read any of these books? Any suggestions for what my freebie book should be?

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

12 comments:

  1. I have actually read six of the books you picked. The only one I didn't enjoy was The Time Traveler's Wife...but...I think it was because I read it when it was getting all the hype. Angela's Ashes was one of those books I picked up at a secondhand bookstore and it set on my shelf for years. It was heavy, but wonderful, and I'm glad I finally picked it up. I'm glad you joined us this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of your books, but I've heard good things about a lot of them! How strange that HP is a classic... It makes sense to me, but it makes me feel really old. Hahaha. I'm glad you're doing the challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just set up my ebook borrowing from the library again and am excited to get back to reading. I totally failed in 2016, but I'm hoping to squeeze in a few more books this month and get myself on a roll before 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IF it makes you feel better, I haven't read If I Stay either (I want to), but I've seen the movie. So I'm with you on that. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried (& failed) too many book challenges last year, so I was set on only doing ONE in 2017 so I could really focus in, but then I found this challenge group on goodreads and I became slightly obsessed and think I'm going to end up doing a bunch of them again, haha. I have Small Great Things on hold right now, but it's my first ever Picolut! You also reminded me that I really want to read Wonder next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great group of books to read over the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited that you're doing the challenge this time, and you have some great picks on your list! I love love love The Time Traveler's Wife, and I hope that you do too! I'm also interested to hear what you think of The Curious Incident of the Dog. I think that it's a play now and we're seeing it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HP is definitely a classic to me, but like you, I think old, old when it comes to classics too, so I wouldn't have expected HP to appear on a classics list for another 100 years or so! LOL! I'm also reading Time Traveler's Wife but chose it for my Rory book so I'm reading two books with time travel. Hopefully I like them both! I've heard amazing things about Small Great Things and need to get on the waiting list. I just know it's going to tear me up, so I want to wait until after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Small Great Things on my hold list at the library & getting impatient! I love her books so I've been looking forward to reading it. The only other book I've read on your list is The Time Traveler's Wife. I remember I read it when I was still in high school because then Lifetime made a movie of it. I honestly can't really remember it but I'm pretty sure I own it so now I kind of want to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay. i've read a lot of the books on your list, and i think you've got a pretty good group of titles here. i have to caution you on time traveler's. i LOVE, LOVE this story. but it is, at times, a huge pain in the ass to plow through it. i can normally get a book done in a day or two. that one took me a month. i have clear memories of times i was laying on the couch and wanted to hurl the thing across the room because it was dragging on mercilessly. be patient with it. you'll be glad you read it. it's a damn beautiful tale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOh good list! (I just added you to my feed, I always forget... whew, not anymore!) :) I had a hard time with the GG category (too many good options!) so I am still working on my list. :) I haven't read most of these, but I want to read many of them! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished my book and I am looking for new ones. I will add you on Goodreads so I can get more recommendations!

    ReplyDelete