Northwest Native: Lessons & Confessions [11.2.16]

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Lessons & Confessions [11.2.16]

It's Weekly Lessons with Lexi and I! If my calculations are correct, it's also Confessions day with Nadine and Kathy and I've missed doing those, so I have a mash-up of lessons and confessions today. (Confession number one: I'm super happy with my rhyming theme today.)

Lesson
Rearranging the furniture can be life-changing. Even if you're hesitant about it at first. We considered putting our TV on top of the fireplace when we first moved in, but decided it was too high. We talked about trying it since then too, but we didn't actually do it until this weekend. It looks and feels so much better now. Before, the walkway past the coffee bar and past our garbage can were very narrow, and now there is a ton of space. The way the furniture is now, it also makes the chair we have work. Before, we only ever sat on the couch, because sitting in the chair just wasn't a great view. Now I just want to get a pouf or ottoman for in front of the chair. And we need to hang some artwork because that wall looks even more empty now that the TV isn't in front of it. (The blue chair at the end of the couch was moved upstairs; I wanted to take a picture after doing that/cleaning up the clutter, but it didn't happen. Also, that jumble of cords is temporary as well. We're going to figure out a way to hide them or at least manage them a little better.)
I was also kind of sad to have to clear everything off of the fireplace because I had it all decorated, and to move the TV stand because I really like it...but I am just using it as a console table in the dining area now and it looks so much better! (No idea what to put on the bottom two shelves yet...and the D will be hanging up on the wall above it eventually...I have a few things and am planning on doing a gallery wall there--including the blue mirror you see on the floor.) And the windowpane frame of our wedding pictures that was on the fireplace will be hung above the coffee bar!

Confession
We didn't carve pumpkins until Sunday night. I have always felt that pumpkins should be carved at least a week before Halloween, because otherwise it seems kind of pointless. But this year, it just didn't happen that way. I was drinking pumpkin spice rum and apple cider. Basic and not ashamed.

Lesson
Michael is still the best at creative gift-giving. I always just buy him stuff that he's mentioned he wants. Often that means apparel from one of his favorite teams. He always completely surprises me and ends up getting me something that I didn't even know I wanted! This year, my big gift was an espresso machine! He's been making us lattes on the regular.

Confession
I'm so sad that my favorite month is over. :(

Lesson
Carving pumpkins is so much work. And I'm still horrible at it. And the little carving knives you can get at the store are the absolute worst. Mine bent in two different directions at once (like, a z-shape) multiple times while I was carving.

Confession
My dog was a guest star on the police scanner this weekend. On Saturday night around 11, I took the dogs out and noticed there were police lights (that sounds wrong; not sure how else to word it) behind our house. And then there were at least two sirens going. And then Michael went out the front door and saw police barricading both ends of our street. So I got the dogs inside and we went upstairs to listen to the police scanner and browse Twitter for any news. We finally found out that someone crashed their car into a house and ran, and the cops set up a containment to catch the guy. Later, we found out that you can rewind the scanner, so we went back to about 11. When I was out with the dogs, Tully barked at a group of people walking past. On the scanner, we heard a cop say, "There's a group of teenagers walking around, probably lookie-lous." Cue Tully's bark on the scanner. Hahahaha. Anyway, the next morning we learned that the guy was drunk (how shocking) and he was caught and charged with two counts of hit and run (car and property), DUI, and one other thing I don't remember. And he's already out because he's posted bail. And this isn't his first rodeo. Great.

Lesson
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (the sixth one) is the worst of the first six movies. We watched it on Friday because I had finished the book and I feel like this one just changed sooo many small things that didn't need to be changed from the book. Even the fifth book which is crazy long was better adapted to the screen, in my opinion.

Confession
I went to Nordstrom over the weekend to make a return and tried on a few things...and now my wishlist is already in need of an update. I now have $150 worth of Nordstrom gift cards, but of course nothing I want is on sale (I know it's not like I'm spending money, but I'd rather stretch my gift cards as far as possible). Also, am I the only one who sees something they want online and hopes that when they try it on they hate it? I was hoping for that with this shirt but of course I loved it. First world problems.

Lesson
Some kids are greedy with that Halloween candy. We had a giant bowl of candy and we got quite a few trick or treaters, but some of them were taking fistfuls of candy! I know, I know, we could've handed the candy to them, but I don't want to give a kid something they don't like. I usually tell them to take two, but some just totally disregarded it or grabbed a fistful before I could say anything. I don't remember this being the case at my parents' house, but the house is down a steep loop driveway, so most people pass it by because they think it looks dark and spooky. So most of the trick or treaters that do come are with their parents, who wouldn't let their kids take fistfuls of candy. (My mom got three trick or treaters on Monday. And she was giving out full size candy bars. Their loss!)

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

20 comments:

  1. I just love it when you do your confessions! I'm sad the month of October is over to darn it! And I have a huge confession this is the first year we did not even carve a pumpkin at all, gasp! But with two of the boys at college and the other one so busy with football nobody even wanted to do it. I hope you have the best Wednesday beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my fave month too! I'm sad it's over. It flew by way TOO fast! Loved reading your confessions for the month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom ROCKS Halloween with the full size bars!!!
    I used to want to smack kids hands for reaching in & taking fists fulls of candy.
    I want a police scanner now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to come comment mid-post, haha. First of all, I can't believe October is over :(

    Secondly, I LOVED the 6th movie up until they go to the cave. (I usually turn it off at that point.) I haven't compared book to movie in a long time, though, so I see where you're coming from. I think the 6th movie is the funniest one. Everyone is crazy witty in that film. Haha. But yeah- definitely different from the book...

    After we moved into our house, before we had Enzo, K went on a business trip and it was me and Lylee. (She still slept in her crate at this point.) Just after midnight I heard her go NUTS and I took a knife (hahaha) and went downstairs to check on her. Turns out a drunk drive had hit the cars parked along the street, in front of our house, and then tried to take off on foot. (Thankfully K's truck was gone and my car was in the driveway.) They got him, but I was so spooked because I was home alone and we'd just moved in!

    I always take three or four shirts to the dressing room, knowing I only want to buy one thing and hoping I hate all of them. Then I end up loving all of them. UGH.

    Sorry for the novel :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant believe October is over either but November is my favorite month so I am not too sad about it being here. This year is just really flying by!!! That is too funny your dog was on the scanner. Crazy drunk people. I have no sympathy for people who get DUIs It is the most selfish thing you can do! I hope no one was hurt.

    Ughhhhh there's my Lush shirt I want!!!! When is that darn thing going to go on sale??? I keep checking and it never is. Makes me sad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sad that October is over as well but November isn't too bad as long as it doesn't snow up here in Wisconsin. Ha!

    With the Harry Potter books to movies, I think I was most upset with Order of the Phoenix. That was my favorite book out of the series & I think the movie didn't take some of the coolest things from the book & run with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh those greedy trick or treaters!! I saw so many kids just grab as much candy as they could and in front of their parents who just stood there. So wrong. The worse part is you know some of that candy is just going to go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We totally managed to not carve pumpkins this year and I'm really sad about it! We did buy pumpkins though, but just ran out of time for carving. And yes to it being a pain in the butt! I make Chris do all the heavy lifting and getting all the guts out before I start carving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Confession: we didn't even get a pumpkin to carve because we were lazy (and it was so cold to go to the pumpkin patch) so we told kayla that the season was over and no more pumpkins!! LOL total parenting fail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That shirt looks great on you, girl! Sorry you didn't hate it. ;)

    So funny about your pup being on the police scanner!

    We carved pumpkins too early this year! They were totally molded out and gross before Halloween so we had to throw them away before the 31st. Oops! It doesn't help that it has been nearly 90 degrees here for the past two weeks. Yeesh! So at least you had your jack o lantern for actual Halloween, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate how book four was adapted to screen too. It was my very favorite book until the movie came out and didn't live up to how I'd pictured the whole triwizard tournament in my head that it demoted the book from favorite status and became my least favorite of the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our pumpkin wasn't carved until Sunday night either. We only had one and I made Jerry do it!

    I'm sad that October is over too. :(

    I loooove your TV stand. I'm all about rustic and wood things. It looks great where you moved it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. An espresso machine = luckyyyyyyyy! Confession: I've never carved a pumpkin in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I remember the days we would change the furniture around to give the house a new feel now both Tim and I are too damn lazy to do it, my favourtie month would be either November or December, November because it is my birth month and December because of Christmas just saying

    ReplyDelete
  15. We always seem to carve pumpkins the day before Halloween. In Washington they were always moldy if we did them too early, and around here they dry out really quickly!

    Having an espresso machine is SO nice! I want to get a nicer one someday. The one I have is getting to the end of it's life I think. It's only like 3 or 4 years old, but it's having issues. Haha. I also have a hard time finding decent espresso!

    And just wait until you watch the Deathly Hallows Part 1. Definitely the most boring HP movie! There's a couple good parts, but just be prepared for a mostly boring movie! Part 2 is great by the way!

    My mom let the trick or treaters take candy from the bowl one year and some greedy kid reached two hands in and grabbed a huge handful! My mom was so shocked she didn't say anything. Last time we ever did that! Now we just pass it out ourselves! I can't believe some kids!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sad October is over too! I'll be honest-I don't really like carving pumpkins because it's so much work. Haha! I love that Nordstrom top! Looks so cute on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. One thing we did with our TV Was anchor it to the wall, best decision ever! And then you can have your mantle again :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhh I love that Nordstrom shirt. It is beautiful. Some kids are greedy and take handfuls and others take one or two. We had some greedy ones too. I love the new home for your tv. And I love the look of the tv stand in your dining room. I am sure you can put all the Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations on there. and if you don't have enough, you can buy more! I know, I am bad at encouraging others to spend money. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really hope that the drunk driver learned something. All of the HP movies disappoint me after reading the books, but 5, 6, and both parts of 7 are especially bad. 5 especially pisses me off because it shows Snape throwing Harry out of his office for seeing his memories during the Occlumency lessons. (In the book, he threw Harry out when Harry snuck a peek into the Pensieve.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lookie-lous! haha! That sounds like something the cops on Parks and Rec would say, so I'm glad legit cops say it too.

    ReplyDelete