Northwest Native: Dogs and phones and books. [Weekly Lessons]

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Dogs and phones and books. [Weekly Lessons]

Before I get into my Weekly Lessons, I just wanted to remind you that this Friday (November 18th) is the last day to sign up for the Blogger Christmas Cheer Exchange hosted by Olya and I!

Electronics can be possessed.
I've had lots of issues with my phone. I took it to the Apple Store because it was constantly freezing, they ran diagnostics and said, "Yep, it constantly freezes." It was under warranty, they replaced it with a new phone. I leave the store...and it freezes within an hour. I deleted Facebook from my phone and the issues all went away. It's been a month or so since I deleted Facebook, and my phone suddenly started freezing and having a mind of its own. Seriously, it will freeze and I'll just set the phone down and not touch any part of it, and it'll start clicking around. Like, going to a different text convo, liking things on Facebook, typing... It's absurd and the first available Genius Bar appointment I could get was tonight. Hopefully they can fix it or give me a new one, because I have eight months before I'm upgrade eligible. Sigh. [Yesterday it seemed to be working...crossing my fingers it stays that way. Not risking cancelling my appointment and then having it freak out again, though. Spoke too soon. Still possessed.]

My dog is an athlete.
My thirty pound, very thin dog, whose back comes up to just above my knee, shocked us both by jumping over the six foot fence into our neighbor's yard on Friday morning. Both dogs ran out of the house to chase a squirrel, as they do, and then when I went to get them inside, only Tully was in the yard. I could hear the jingling of Flora's collar...and then I realized she was in the yard next door. Luckily, that house recently sold but no one lives there, so I could just run over and get her without any awkward encounters with other humans. But then on Sunday...she jumped over the fence to another yard. And this yard is behind our house...so Michael had to sprint down our block and over into the block behind ours. And then he proceeded to just go right into that neighbor's yard (their yard isn't fully fenced, which could've been really bad news if Flora got out) and mouthed "sorry" to the lady watching out of the window. Yikes. For those wondering, it is a solid wood fence. I saw her jump from standing/sitting, and what she does is jump as high as she can, and then pushes off the middle of the fence with her back feet. She apparently can only get over with a running start. This has made life a lot more stressful lately.
The face of a monster. JK, love her, even if she raises my blood pressure considerably.

Finishing Harry Potter has sucked the life out of me.
Obviously, I'm joking. But finishing the series has definitely left a Harry-Potter-shaped hole in part of me. I finished book seven and didn't quite feel it yet, then on Saturday night we watched the final two movies, and then on Sunday I finished The Cursed Child and then I was absolutely done with all things HP and it hurts my heart. Luckily, I started reading read The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and I absolutely loved it. I think reading a horrible book after finishing HP would've made me even more sad. And we have tickets to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on Thursday, so maybe that will help too.

Not a lesson, but help me out.
I tried on this sweatshirt/jacket hybrid (SO soft) at Nordstrom Rack on Friday and I'm basically in love with it. It's so soft and I think it's super cute. The strings hanging down are drawstrings, so they can be tied, but they don't really bother me hanging. It's $45, which seems a little steep, but the regular price listed is $128. Plus I have enough credit/gift cards to fully cover it. What do you think? (I don't know why I'm asking, I really should just buy it. I may have by the time this post goes live.) I also found these three quarter sleeve striped tees (that are $13.20!!! Knew I should've bought all this stuff yesterday! They're $25 now...) by the same brand when I was looking for this and I think I might need them.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest





26 comments:

  1. The paranoid person in me thinks your phone is being hacked. (I don't even know if that's possible?) That's so weird, though...
    OH MY GOSH, FLORA! We have the same kind of fence in our backyard and I honestly believe ours have the ability to scale it, but they don't know that. Our back yard is mostly 6' privacy fence but there's a 3footer across the driveway and I KNOW they could get over that, but they have no idea :)
    I hope you bought that jacket! I LOVE it! And I can't wait to see Fantastic Beasts!! I need to get tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you can figure out what's going on with your phone, technology is great until it makes life so much harder than it needs to be. Just the thought of dog ownership stresses me out! The coat/sweater is really cute, I've never stepped foot inside a Nordstrom and honestly only know it exists because of the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the jacket, you totally need to get it. I think you would get alot of use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, your phone scares me. Freezing is one thing, but watching it have a life of its own (liking FB pictures? HAHAHA) is pretty terrifying. Also, if you EVER ask me "should I buy this article of clothing I like" my answer is always going to be a resounding YES. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that jacket is AWESOME!!!!!
    I just see your dog on the warp wall in Americans Ninja Warrior ;) haha
    Ahhh - bye bye Harry Potter. Glad you have the new movie to help ease your loss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, i have been looking for a jacket/sweater thing like that for like 10 years so clearly i need to buy it. so do you.
    your phone sounds terrifying.
    every time i finish HP it leaves a huge hole in my heart. the storied life of aj fikry is so good, way to follow HP up with a great book about books! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that jacket. It looks fantastic on you and the price is reasonable too, especially if you have gift cards to cover it! Oh Harry Potter. How I love thee, more so today than ever. When good triumphs over evil and love conquers all. We need more of that! The Stories Life of AJ Fikry is on my TBR. It sounds like I need to prioritize it higher on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finishing up a series really does leave a void in your heart, but even more so that it's Harry Potter! I'm so excited about the new movie, but I think that I need to find some new people to see it with since my friend I was supposed to go with just had her baby. Anyways, I would be terrified of my dog jumping over the fence all the time too! It's amazing what they can do when they really want that squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sweater/jacket thing looks so good on you! Buy it! Haha. That's crazy Flora jumped the fence! I hate when phones become possessed. My last one just randomly started spazzing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, what is up with your phones??? I hope you get it figured out! So you totally need to get that jacket hybrid. I have one that looks just like it in black and it is seriously so cozy and looks cute styled lots of different ways. You should totally not have waited on those ts girl! I hate when that happens. Those are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, my phone did this too. Every day for like two months EXCEPT THE DAY I TOOK IT IN. No one believed me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phones that freeze annoy the hell out of me along with computers that freeze, why oh why do they freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buy the jacket! Hope your phone gets fixed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, she jumped A SIX FOOT FENCE? More than once lol????? That could be a very bad habit lol. But she must be in GREAT shape lol! At least that's a plus..right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your phone almost does sound possessed, hacked even when you say there's typing going on. Real bizarre shit. Hopefully Apple helped.

    You must have words with Tully and explain that good girls and boys stay in their backyards and don't cause mommy and daddy to have heart attacks. But really, I wonder why the sudden interest in jumping the fences...

    Happy Thursday! We're almost at FriYAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. SO frustrating about your phone! I'm not sure how old yours is, but my husband had the 5 and it sounds like it was doing the same things & I think he ended up having to do a reset and delete all of his photos and apps, until he upgraded to the 7. I LOVE that jacket and the fact that it's structured, but still looks really comfortable too. I cried SO much when I finished reading Harry Potter because I was sad it was over. I'm currently trying to finish the Cursed Child before my library loan ends, but I haven't been in the mood to read at all lately.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE that jacket! I hate that there's no Nordstrom Rack near me. Also, their underwear is the best, not like you asked, but it's so good that you needed to know. I loooved AJ Fikry - probably my favorite book I read this year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to inform you that the HP hole NEVER leaves your heart. Ever!!! Nothing fills it back up :'-(

    And now I want to read them all all over again for another time. Also I want to go find the Nordstrom Rack here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE the jacket! buy it, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes get the jacket. It is seriously so cute and I want it for myself! My phone sometimes does that too. I have no idea why, but hoping next year when I get a new one it stops. Until then I suffer. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa, your phone is totally possessed! I still have the 6 and it has been freezing a lot lately but not as bad as yours! That is super crazy. Hopefully they were able to fix it for you! I think you should totally get that jacket too. Haha, I think it's worth the price because you'll be able to wear it during the fall & spring! That is so crazy about Flora too! I can't even believe that she's jumping over a 6 foot fence?? I can't even do that, haha. I hope this is something that she STOPS doing.. like find something to scare her the next time she jumps over (I know that sounds mean but what else do you do??).

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that jacket!! I hope you bought it, it looks super cute and cozy! And how stressful to have your dog constantly escaping! Eek! She's pretty cute though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The jacket's great! I have one of those Bobeau fleece wraps that's sort of a sweatshirt/cardigan hybrid and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dude. You're going to need to put razor wire on top of your fence and your house can look like a prison to keep Flora inside. J/K - I don't want Flora to jump into razor wire!
    I didn't sign up for the swap because I'm overwhelmed at the moment, but as you probably know, I am a big supporter of the concept that the world needs more care packages.

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE the jacket!! And Devin's parents' dog is about that size and also used to jump enormous fences to swim in the neighbor's pool hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't read the books but when the last movie ended I cried.. i couldn't believe there wasn't going to be more.
    I have all the books too but i'm waiting for my eldest to be old enough so we can read them together.. and then watch the movies too..

    ReplyDelete