Northwest Native: Birthday Lessons

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Birthday Lessons

It's Weekly Lessons with Lexi and I! Share what you've learned this week, or in life in general! It's my birthday today, so I really should be sharing one of those, "What I've learned in my lifetime" sort of birthday posts, but 26 things was too many to wrap my head around. Sorry guys!

How to zipline.
Really, there's not much to learn. The harness and the guides do all the work. But, on Sunday I went ziplining for the first time and it was so much fun! It started out fifteen feet from the ground and we worked our way up to 120. Not bad for someone with a fear of heights!
Before! (Michael, me, my mom, my brother, and my aunt...and part of my aunt's dog.)
This was after the first zip line and on the first of three suspension bridges. This was the shortest bridge by far, and the only one that wasn't a steep climb at the end.
Here is the last suspension bridge. One hundred plus feet in the air. And waaaay steeper than it looks.
On the last zip line, there's a camera that takes your picture. My mom only bought Michael's picture because, I mean, just look at it! Hahaha.
And here's a picture I took in the parking lot because I thought it was pretty. Ha!

Major first world problems...
We're going out to dinner tonight to celebrate my birthday. Picking a restaurant was the hardest thing ever. Portland is a major foodie city, so there were pages and pages of 4+ star restaurants to choose from on Yelp. Even with Michael not eating gluten or dairy narrowing down my list of choices...it was so hard. I wanted to complain...but shouldn't having lots of options be a good thing? Anyway, I learned that picking a restaurant in Portland is no joke. I think Michael has chosen most of the restaurants we've been to, or we've heard good things about them and just decided to go.

Are we in the 18th century?
So, on Monday, I go to make a reservation at the restaurant that I chose and was really excited about. I chose it last week and should've made a reservation then, but I kept forgetting. So I check Open Table...and they're not on there. I check Yelp and their website...and they don't take online reservations. I grudgingly go to call them, and realize that they're obviously not going to be open in the middle of the day...and then I saw that they're open Wednesday-Saturday. Please cross your fingers that when I call when they open at five, they have a reservation for seven! Lesson learned: Don't procrastinate and maybe pay a little more attention to these things when researching restaurants.

Starting The Walking Dead may have been a huge mistake.
I got all caught up through season six just days before the season seven premiere on Sunday. And then the premiere ruined my life*, so I'm questioning my life Netflix decisions.
*exaggeration
Being caught up on The Walking Dead really sucks.
How do people wait a week for a new episode?! Luckily, Sunday's episode didn't end in a cliffhanger, so I'm fine for now...but as the season goes on I think it will be unbearable. (Yes, I'm going to continue watching it, even though my previous lesson might suggest otherwise.)

I will never not cry my eyes out during Jim and Pam's wedding.
Jim and Pam are not friends whose wedding video I creepily watch every once in a while (I do wish they were real and my friends though), they are from The Office, in case you didn't know. We got to their wedding episode on Monday night and I was a wreck, as per usual.
Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

28 comments:

  1. Well good morning you beautiful birthday girl! What a brilliant idea for your post on your birthday! You're just zip lining cutie and I hope this day is as fabulous as you are! Birthday hugs girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!! That ziplining course looks so pretty! I love the group shot of everyone on the bridge. I think I've definitely changed my mind on a restaurant upon seeing you have to call to make a reservation vs using open table, haha. I can't wait to hear where you decided on for your birthday dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have an incredible birthday dinner (wherever it may be) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!! Don't even get me started on The Walking Dead. Sunday's episode was stressful, I think I may have to quit that show. My heart can't take it. One shouldn't be so stressed about a tv show. Plus, I feel like the show is getting more and more violent and less of a story. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. JIM & PAM'S WEDDING IS THE MOST MAGICAL MOMENT IN ALL OF TELEVISION. Give me a love like Jim & Pam. The universe is so cruel. I want to be looking into Jim's eyes on the front of that Alaskan boat. *sigh* If only K looked at me the way Jim looks at Pam. Hahahahahaha. Seriously, though...

    Good for you for zip-lining! We did it in Jamaica and it was SO FUN! We loved it!

    I think K only goes to restaurants now with Open Table. Haha. That site/app/whatever rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh...love Jim and Pam - best TV couple eva! Also, zip lining looks so fun! I'm a big scaredy cat and also kind of afraid of heights, so not sure I could do it! MOST IMPORTANTLY - happy birthday! Have fun celebrating :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!

    I could watch Jim and Pam's wedding over and over again - I just love them. I'm terrified of heights too but I was convinced to go ziplining over Fremont Street in Vegas and I actually had a blast - I never would have thought I would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday!!!!

    So the thought of zip lining totally scares me because heights!!! And I totally understand how hard it is to chose somewhere for your birthday. You want to make it awesome and special and its a lot of pressure! Though, I have a hard time choosing just for Friday lunch sooooo. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness TWD was seriously just so heartbreaking! I don't think that I've ever had a show keep me that stressed and in suspense throughout the whole show. And it's tough waiting, but I promise you can do it! It's totally worth it! And hooray for ziplining! I'm glad that you enjoyed it, even though you're scared of heights!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, Mattie! :) Hope you have the best day and get the restaurant reservations you wanted! That zip line looks so fun, especially with all the fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday! That zip lining spot looks like an awesome pick

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Happy birthday! Such a fun way to celebrate, the picture is priceless :) I hope you got the reservation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! What a lovely place. There are some restaurants near us that I keep meaning to try, but I always forget about them because of the weird hours or rules.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zip lining sounds like it would be a blast! Also, happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy happy birthday!! :) Go you for zip lining! I don't know if I would have the guts to get up in the air like that, haha. I'm terrified of heights like none other. I hope you were able to get the reservation tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Props for ziplining, that looks so cool and terrifying!! And planning b-day festivities takes more foresight and coordination than I can usually muster, so I know that feeling of last-minute panic all too well! Hope the dinner all worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday to youuuu! I've never been zip lining, but it's absolutely something I want to do. Yes, Michael's picture was worth the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy birthday!! zip lining sounds like so much fun. they had that when we went to vancouver but i was too much of a wuss to try it back then but if i ever went back (which i will in the next few years), i'm definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday to you lady!!
    That zip line picture HAD to be purchased. Love the group one too.
    The Walking Dead tweet? SPOT ON.. I still cant get over it. I think my shoulders were up past my ears with tension the full hour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. happy birthday lovely! hope your restaurant was able to fit you in. i don't watch the walking dead or the office, your tweets make me feel like i'd go through an emotional rollercoaster if i did haha and i'm not sure i can handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy belated birthday! I hope you got into that restaurant you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Michael's expression in that second picture is everything, LMAO! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Jim and Pam's wedding. My husband and I work together and met at work, so my office calls us the Jim and Pam of our office. Happy belated birthday!!! I hope you were able to get a reservation at the restaurant you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy late birthday! I hope it was amazing!
    Ziplining looks like so much fun. I really want to do it and yet I'm terrified because I'm scared of heights.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday! I don't usually cry during the actual wedding but when Jim does his speech about learning to drive stick and waiting for Pam my eyes get a little misty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. that season opening of the walking dead... brutal, man. and then two kind of zzzz episodes.
    & i'm only in season 3 and binge watching it and i could imagine that watching it over the years would make that wedding SO EMOTIONAL - i can't wait to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete