Northwest Native: Deadly hickeys & casual sexism.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Deadly hickeys & casual sexism.

It's week two of Weekly Lessons with myself and Lexi! I've learned a few things this week...

Hickeys kill.
A seventeen-year-old died because of a hickey. Now, I've never been a fan of hickeys or seen the point, but this is really sad. And I'm totally going to tell my teenage children about this some day.

via GIPHY

A woman's place is in the kitchen...and ordering office supplies.
First off, I don't actually agree with that statement. I am one of two women in my office, and I'm the only one in an admin role. There used to also be a female sales assistant, who was also basically the office manager. She quit a few weeks ago, and last week a coworker comes up to me and says, "So now that she's gone are you the one ordering office supplies?" Now, he's a nice guy, and it's possible he doesn't really know what it is I do. But I'm a corporate employee who just happens to be working out of this branch. I don't work for this branch. And I'm not suddenly going to be ordering office supplies just because I'm a woman who isn't a sales rep. There's nothing wrong with being in a job where you order office supplies or being an assistant or whatever...it's just not what I do. This company hires women in all of those roles--receptionist, executive assistant, sales assistant--so I think there's a mindset that this is a woman's work...but don't just assume whatever woman is remaining is going to take it on. Update: The other female in the office, a sales rep, also asked me if I was ordering office supplies. *facepalm* Update 2: I was only slightly annoyed before, but when I came back from lunch on Friday to a stack of dry cleaning invoices on my desk, I was kind of raging. (And out of defiance, I'm just going to leave them there untouched.)

How to library.
It seems like I re-learn this every few weeks. If you use your library to check out e-books like I do, see if your library's website has a wish list section, and just add a bunch of books from your TBR list. When I look at my wish list, it tells me how many items are on it and how many are available to check out. Yesterday there were six available. Sometimes you can look at a book on your wishlist and it's available, then the next day you're third in line on the hold list (and vice versa!). When I have nothing to read, I look at my wishlist and there's usually at least one book for me to check out!

via GIPHY

Remember to take your dang tags off!
I do this ALL THE TIME. But when I did it on Friday it was especially awful because I remember being at home in the morning and thinking, "I need to go ask Michael to cut my tag off before I forget." But then I forgot anyway. Because I forget everything. Isn't there a supplement you take that helps your memory? Or maybe I should download some brain games app? I'd ask for your suggestions, but I'll probably just forget them. ;) Update: I left the tags on another shirt on Tuesday. Yep, even after a restful three day weekend I don't learn.

Radio stations are repetitive.
I mean, I think we all knew this. And that's why I only listen to the radio in the car, not all day at work. But recently, they've started playing a country music radio station at the office all day, and this has to be the most repetitive radio station in all the land. I don't listen to country music. There are a select few songs/artists I like, but I'm not going to get into that. This radio station plays Blown Away by Carrie Underwood (the song itself says 'blown away' 497 times...so it's repetitive on its own) at least once a day, probably more than once. The other song that is constantly repeated is that one that goes, "this looo-oo-ooove, from the gods a-booo-oo-ooove." Yeah, I was too lazy to even Google it. But if I never hear that song again, I will be a happy woman. OH and old school Taylor Swift when she was kind of country, like Love Story and that "she wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts" song. I've liked T-Swift from the beginning, so hearing those songs the first couple of times were fun. Now...PLEASE GET SOME VARIETY!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest




28 comments:

  1. Even though I am the person in the business I work for who orders the office supplies, this still makes me ragey. For me, it's copies. DO NOT ASK ME TO MAKE YOUR COPIES THIS IS 2016 AND I KNOW YOU ARE INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT. They are pretty intuitive this day and age. I can't. I've never thought about wish listing at the library. I'm totally going to start doing that. Once I read the 75 books on my nightstand, first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The work place situation irritates the hell out of me. Good for you for leaving those slips on your desk. RI.DIC.U.LOUS.
    I had no idea hickeys could do that. I don't know that I've ever actually had one, but that's good to know! Haha!
    I listen to a million different sources of music throughout the day because everything is so freakin' repetitive. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I don't even like the work situation, I'm also that person who just doesn't get it, yes I'm a woman, but seriously you don't need to expect me to order for you either...You're a grown adult.

    And the hickey thing, this is why I never liked hickeys!

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  4. So on point girl! Believe me I lectured on the hickeys several times with the teenage boys and luckily they never had one that I knew of but it's highly unlikely for teenage boys to wear turtlenecks so I think we're good, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My work is the WORST when it comes to women & the 'positions' men see them in. dont get me started.
    I keep podcasts on my computer to get through the day because the radio station plays the same 8 songs over & over & over. I legit pick the 'hot song' that they replay & use it as a key to get up & walk whenever it comes on - needless to say, it gets me up usually twice an hour - sometimes 3 times - proof how much they play the same songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't even get me started about the men in my office. It's horrible. I can't even. I stopped listing to the radio years ago. I truly believe that payola still exists, don't care what anyone says. They totally play the same songs over and over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the wish list feature-- and that it lets you have a list for books you recommend that the library doesn't have yet... though they very rarely seem to add any of the ones I recommend, haha. Sadly, I'm not even surprised by the office supplies situation. It almost makes you hope one person told everyone it was your new role-- not that everyone was assuming the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh at your story about ordering office supplies or any other secretarial task because I feel like all men think it's a woman's job and it is really annoying. I went to college for four years too, thanks. And I agree with you on the library available list changing quickly. And I am glad that I was never in to hickeys because yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hickey thing is crazy! I would be really mad if someone asked me to order office supplies when it wasn't my job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just going to assume that your "coworkers" really don't know what you do, and that's why maybe the other woman asked as well. but picking up dry cleaning???! I wouldn't ask anyone who works for me to do that! That's so rude! And the country music would annoy me because I'm not a fan of country music either. At least with pop I can sing along!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't listen to the radio hardly at all. If it's a short trip in the car, I will but typically, I'm plugging my phone in & listening to my Spotify. I love Spotify!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh I cannot stand the radio anymore. I still listen to it on my drive to/from work, but I much prefer jamming out to my own CD mix or plugging in my AUX cord to jam through Spotify. I cannot stand how repetitive it is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay...WHAT?! You coworkers seriously did all those things?! Oh Lawdy....no! I can't believe the dry cleaning invoices were on your desk. I'm laughing because I seriously just can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen to radio stations being repetitive! Sometimes I hear the same ong 5 times in one day :/

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, cool feature about the wishlist at your library! We don't have that but it sounds awesome!

    Oh yes, totally get the repetitive thing. When hubby and I are on any drive longer than 20 minutes, we will hear the same few songs again and again. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like the radio stations just play the same 20 songs on repeat. "Blown Away" is one of them...I seem to hear it at least twice a week. Finally, someone who understands that Taylor Swift is not country anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot get over your coworkers... The nerve!! And the hickey story is PERFECT to scare teens with!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't like to listen to the radio much and of a morning when it is on while taking the boys to school Leo will change the station over and over to find music and you know what so often the same dribble is on every bloody station they are talking about the same stuff and playing the same song this morning three different stations all had the same song on at the same time...........grrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not only are radio stations repetitive, but TV stations are too! It was so annoying to see the same commercials over and over again during the Olympics! I can't believed that somebody died from a hickey! I've never understand the desire to have somebody sucking on your neck either, but I'm going to have to tell future children about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, hickeys are so gross but I had no idea that they could actually kill someone?! Jeez! Oh man, I would be so irritated with your co-workers too! Dry cleaning invoices, seriously? They need to find someone to fill in for the other person's spot & send a memo to everything that it isn't you, haha. The wish list thing sounds really awesome! I need to see if our library has that because it seems like I always have to wait for books. Yes to the radio! I listen to it while I'm in the car but other than that, I always have Spotify playing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Damn. See. I already forgot about "weekly lessons". I told you that I was bad about weekly link-ups. I'll do better. I promise. haha!
    That office supplies story made me cringe...and laugh...and facepalm as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugh work situations like that are so annoying. I used to work in a big office, and whenever anyone left, it was total confusion as to who does what now and being asked to do a bunch of random crap. And I get frustrated with the radio too. I only listen to it in the car when I'm not on the highway (because I don't want to be flipping between stations, desperately trying to find a song I don't hate, while going 70!), and I totally left "Love Story" on this week! Oh and I used to loooove "You Belong with Me" (she wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts) too, back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a fun link-up, I need to join. And the tags had me laughing hysterically. I never leave those on, but I always miss those size stickers that they put on pants, which is extra embarrassing because then I'm walking around all day with a tag on bum, letting everyone know just how big it is.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these lessons! Good for you for just leaving the dry cleaning invoices. I'd stick them in the microwave so someone else has to come face to face with them and be like, um, what? Maybe I shouldn't be blog-commenting at 5am bc I suggest stuff like that. Haha! Also, the library is the bestttt!! I just DEVOURED "The Husband's Secret" faster than I've ever read any book. So so good. And I have the worst memory ever, so rest assured there's someone out there worse off in the memory department ;) wait what were we talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  25. For some reason my phone won't sync with my car anymore, so I've been listening to the radio a lot and I agree, so repetitive! And half the time I click through the stations and more than one are playing the same song at one time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So that article just really scared me and I am absolutely telling my children about it. It’s so annoying when someone leaves and their responsibilities suddenly are “assumed” yours—it’s like, HELLO I already have too much work, this isn’t my issue when you’re perfectly capable of it.

    Woohoo for another link-up! Sorry it took me forever and a half to respond. Two people at work have left, and guess who has all their responsibilities now? (*facepalm*)

    Lexi, Lex Be Livin’

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ugh at the situation in your office. Luckily enough, this kind of situation doesn't arise too, too often because of the nature of my job, though the one or two occasions when a male colleague of the same seniority has shunted more secretarial tasks to me (like confirming the schedule of a lunch when I was a summer intern), I've handled it in a not-especially-admirable and somewhat passive-aggressive way. In that example, he tacked a suggested deadline on to that request, and I did it hours later. In short, I'd leave the dry-cleaning invoices.

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh wow.. i can't believe the people you work with! i am basically a glorified receptionist, so i do order the supplies and all that, but there are several other women in my office and all of the guys around the country can't keep us apart. Kristen, do you do POs? No. Kristen, can you send a contract to this person? No. Like, how hard is it? I know what all you idiots do. And then there are other guys I work with that think it is 1950 and they will literally be like 'can you copy and paste this?' and i'm like are you serious? i can type up something for you, but you can't copy and paste? RAGE.
    ahem. sorry.
    i only just joined the library a couple months ago, but i haven't done the ebook thing yet. i had access to my library at home for ebooks, so for like 4 years i've mainly been reading ebooks or buying books, so right now i am focusing on real books that i don't have to keep, yay! but i will try it when i eventually get sick of driving to the library. i am not sure if i even have a wishlist though.

    ReplyDelete