Northwest Native: My Personal Style: Boring Chic

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

My Personal Style: Boring Chic

UPDATE: I totally forgot, but I have a guest post on Olya's blog today! Go check it out, especially if you're interested in visiting Seattle some day!

I had an epiphany recently. It all started when I wore the below outfit to work one day. (Try to ignore the dirty mirror in front of me and the dirty laundry behind me.)
Tee - Jeans - Necklace (other colors) - Shoes (similar - same brand // steal)
I loved this outfit. I bought the shirt just two days before at Nordstrom and thought, "Is $20 on sale really a good enough deal for a t-shirt?" And then I realized that, yes, to me it was, even though it wouldn't be for everyone.

I started thinking about how to wear my new navy blue t-shirt, and this outfit came to mind. I put it on and immediately it became one of my top ten outfits (maybe even top five). And then I realized it was made up entirely of neutrals. And only four pieces.

In college, there was a girl in my sorority who wore neutrals pretty much exclusively, to the point that if she wore colors, people pointed it out. I remember thinking, "How could you do that?!" Fast forward a few years and neutrals are my favorite thing to wear. My favorites are probably olive green, gray, navy, white, and cognac, but I can appreciate black too.

I have a few colorful pieces that I love, but I still generally gravitate to my beloved neutrals. (I mean, just look at my last budget post. All neutrals minus one red plaid shirt!)

Another 'boring' thing about my style? I don't accessorize much. In the above picture, I'm wearing a necklace and no other jewelry. I love purses, but I'm a wear-one-purse-for-a-few-months-before-switching-it-out kind of girl, not a match-my-purse-with-the-outfit kind of girl. I'll sometimes wear earrings if 1) they go with my outfit 2) I remember 3) I'm not running late.

And I've realized that I need to stop trying to fight my personal style. I don't know how many times I've seen 'arm party' pictures on Instagram and blogs and been frustrated that I can't figure out how to do them myself (or I just don't own the right bracelets). Or necklace layering. Or fun trends like overalls. Branching out can be good, but when it comes to buying something just because you want it to be your style, it's not a very wise decision. Numerous times over the years I've picked something up because I want to be the kind of person who wears it, and then I find it hanging in my closet years later, able to count the times I've worn it on one hand.

Life is too short to try to force myself to wear something just because it looks good on someone else, or it's trendy, or it's a good deal (I love me some good deals, but that shouldn't be the sole reason to purchase something). I'm picky about finding the 'perfect' t-shirt. I don't wear stiletto heels, but I rarely wear flats. I don't match my shoes to my purse. Other people may say a t-shirt is just a t-shirt or own eighty pairs of stilettos. And it's okay for me to admire their style, without actually wanting to dress like them.

On that note--time to comb through my closet with even more scrutiny and get rid of everything that feels too forced!

What about you? Have you ever found yourself struggling against your personal style?

On another note--Sara just gave birth to her fourth baby (a beautiful little girl) and she had an emergency c-section and is in a medically induced coma after suffering an amniotic fluid embolism. I may only know her via blogging, but Sara is so strong-willed and does so much for her family. Please keep her in your thoughts or, if you feel so inclined, make a donation.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

23 comments:

  1. I clicked on this blog for of the picture of that cute outfit (and also because I always read your blogs when I'm blog reading...), but let's go with that it was for the cute outfit! I love this post, and now want to go comb through my closet too. Goodbye, non-Emily clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm I think your outfit is totally cute!!! Haha. I am sort of boring chic as well. I just like clean lines and pieces you can swap with many different outfits/looks. I have a few really great statement necklaces that can make a boring black cotton dress really pop but I don't usually get too crazy. I say wear whatever you want and makes you comfortable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In high school I wore band tees and jeans. In college I mixed it up a little and wore anything from sweatpants to 8am class to dresses to sorority meetings. Now I dress similar to you- neutrals, workplace attire, maybe a long necklace but usually just my wedding band. Pretty plan. I really used to struggle with my style, but now I'm ok with it. My new sister-in-law is a fashion blogger and she always looks SO GOOD... (and sometimes I'm a little jealous), but my true style is b&w leggings with a HP Gryffindor sweatshirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you - my accessories are pretty much the same always and while sometimes I want to have a really neat statement necklace to wear or something super trendy, odds are I will wear it once and forget or not at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dress pretty similar to you. I just wear lots of neutrals, purple, and polka dots. I've been trying to find more patterned tops to mix it up a bit, but it's hard to find anything I like! I know I'm kind of picky, but I know what I like when I see it. I don't really accessorize either, I pretty much wear the same little WA state necklace every day. I struggled with style for a while (I had zero fashion sense growing up and through high school.) but I've branched out a lot and figured out what I like. It can be tricky, but what looks good on one person isn't always going to look good on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your style! I don't think I really have a style, unless leggings and t shirts is a style hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so with you. I'm totally a wear-one-purse-for-a-few-months-before-switching-it-out kind of girl, too ;) I couldn't agree more. In the past I've bought items I didn't love for the sake of a trend and I've sworn to never do that again because they became what Caleb calls a B&H (buy and hang, never to actually be worn). I love your outfit in the pic above!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your style... I think its CLASSIC - nothing wrong with that.
    I always get a little jealous of the ones that can pull off all the 'now' looks, but they always change & I dont have the funds to keep changing it up so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think everyone should wear what they feel good in - to me, that is the perfect style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That outfit is adorable - so clean and classic! I'd totally wear that. Love those shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually wore almost the exact same outfit last week! I love it. I've always been in to neutrals and would probably classify myself as "classic comfort." I used to be into heels, "preppy" clothes and definitely make up- like I wouldn't leave without some eye make up, particularly in college. I've always wanted to be into jewelry, but then I buy it and forget to wear it. I'm with you on getting rid of anything that feels forced- will you be sharing your purge with us?! I'm curious to see what didn't make the cut!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with you about not changing up your personal style purely based on what other people are wearing. I'm never going to be a person that loves to wear a ton of skirts and stuff like that, but that's perfectly fine. I'll stick to my dresses and cardigans and flats and have fun just being my relaxed self!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are so alike, it's not even funny!! Although I suspect that I have slightly more in the color department. Just give it a few years and you'll build some niece pieces, albeit selectively.

    I'm so happy Sara has opened her eyes!!! I just can't believe it, she's incredibly lucky to be alive.

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah girl! You do you! I think your style is gorgeous! I'm totally all about the neutrals! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. That outfit pictured? I don't think that's boring at all. I think you look FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You could call my style boring chick, but I chose to call it run of the mill mummy look but boring chic sounds better I think

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the outfit. And maybe if I had a personal style I could then struggle against it...? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your outfit!! Your thoughts on it remind me of an outfit I feel SO cool and fashionable in, haha! (I'm sure it will come up as I document my outfits this month.) I feel like "Know Thyself" has become my guidepost with buying clothes and accessories these days. Like, I have really scrawny wrists that are not made for bangles, so trying an arm party would just annoy me... much like any shirt that requires me to wear a different kind of bra annoys the heck out of me, no matter how cute said shirt is. Trends used to suck me in all the time, but now, I feel like I know myself better (as you do!) and can be more selective, which is a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh i am sorry about your friend Sara, i hope she is doing well.

    i am the most boring person ever and i don't even care. i spent years trying to dress like other people and i always felt like an idiot, not to mention uncomfortable. i have a few necklaces but i reckon i wear them less than 20 times a year. i almost always end up taking them off because they annoy me. i hate bracelets, and earrings hurt when i am on the phone, which is basically all day at work. neutrals forever! i'm wearing jeans and a grey top today so yes very neutral. you are bolder than me with your white jeans though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I can't believe about your blogging friend Sara. That is devastating. I had an emergency c-section and it was very scary.

    I have boring style too. I don't branch out much and I wear a lot of the same styles too. But I like your style because it is similar to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rock those neutrals! They look great on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just got a dress from rent the runway and was so torn between getting one that I really like (in theory) and getting one that I knew would hopefully be more flattering on my body type. And I feel like that's the constant struggle of my life and clothing and the balance of wearing what you like and not caring how it looks-- or wearing what you know looks good and liking it because it looks good on you... if any of that even makes sense. I love that outfit and am tempted to see if I have any navy tops to go with my white jeans (that I haven't wore once this year yet...) Hoping your friend is doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Definitely in the same boat with accessories- I look at my reflection almost every morning and say, “Wow, you look really boring.” But then when I’m shopping in the Accessories section, I get overwhelmed and run out. Happens every time. At the same time, that sort of thing just isn’t me, so why bother? Love this post!

    Lexi, Lex Be Livin’

    ReplyDelete