Northwest Native: August Goals [2016]

Monday, August 1, 2016

August Goals [2016]

I'm bringing back goals! I'm reevaluating my priorities in life, which means my priorities and topics on the blog are going to change too. I love doing budget posts, so those aren't going anywhere, but I'm also trying to get fitter. I set some goals for myself, and I feel like blogging my goals is a way to try and keep myself accountable.

I actually took 'before' pictures in shorts and a sports bra on July 19th, and I've been weighing myself every morning. The number on the scale isn't that important to me, so I'm not going to fret about it, but I want to keep track, at least for a while. I'm at a healthy weight, so I'm mostly just wanting to tone and just feel better overall. I think the before and after pictures are going to be the main way I track my progress. (And I am refusing to post the before pictures until I have an after picture with at least some progress to post alongside it. I never really got people saying they're hard or scary to post...but I totally understand now.)

10,000 steps every day in August
I feel like this will be really hard, but I think I can do it. I actually lost my Fitbit charger somewhere in Wisconsin, so I hadn't been tracking my steps for a long time. I ordered a two-pack of charging cables on Amazon and am back to it. I would be happy with averaging 10,000 steps per day if I don't actually reach 10,000+ every single day, but I'm going to aim high.

30 active minutes five days a week
I don't mean 150 active minutes a week. If I get 60 active minutes one day, I still need four other days of 30 active minutes. I think if I'm able to achieve this goal, the 10,000 steps every day goal will be easier (and vice versa).
I'm thinking our spontaneous purchase of bikes might help with this goal (though it won't help with my steps...).

No shopping in August
After the Anniversary Sale, my bank account/budget needs a breather (you can see the damage here--post was updated yesterday since it was originally published due to an exchange!). I'm also planning on no buying shoes or purses for the rest of 2016 (I can ask for them as gifts or use gift cards, but no spending my money on them).

Vegetarian dinner once a week
I've been interested in the meatless Monday concept for a while, but I never thought Michael would go for it. We decided recently to try to make more vegetarian dishes. We're probably going to rely on cookbooks/Pinterest/blogs because I don't think either of us has a clue how to cook actual filling and yummy vegetarian recipes. (I'm already starting to think this won't happen...but I do at least want to cook vegetarian dinners a couple times a month.)
Michael made this delicious vegetarian green chili with quinoa, beans (obviously), blended tomatillos and veggie stock base, asparagus, green pepper, pea pods, zucchini, and a serrano (our first pick!) from our backyard plant. It was amazing.

Linking up with Angie & Karen for The Monthly Goals Link-Up!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

25 comments:

  1. Good luck on your goals for August!!! I totally understand that posting pictures like that can be scary. Just think how good it will feel to have the after picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to ride my stationary bike 30 min a day and I've been doing pretty well. Good luck with your goals this month, you got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are good, achievable goals sista.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your goals! That chili looks delicious - especially awesome since you were able to use something that you grew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goals! I have trouble finding filling vegetarian meals too so please share if you find some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to 10k steps a day in August too! We'll see how it goes. I usually get lazy on the weekends! :) We have an overwhelming amount of eggplant and zucchini in our garden, so we've been eating a lot of dinner based on them with no meat! Last night we had eggplant parmesean -- amazing. Another favorite is this one http://www.delish.com/cooking/videos/a48390/how-to-make-zucchini-ravioli/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping the vegetarian dishes expand to more than one day a week :) Lots of yummies out there.
    What happened with my husband when I gave up meat, he ate less & less of it & now he's probably 90% vegetarian himself. change can happen to the one you least expect :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some high goals but I believe in you! I've been thinking about Meatless Mondays, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogging my goals definitely helps me to actually do them. I will undoubtedly procrastinate/blow things off altogether if I don't have to "report back" to someone about how I did. That's awesome that you're workin on your fitness (like Fergie!)! And that you can ride a bike! I used to ride my bike all the time as kid, but I've found that, in adulthood, riding a bike is not "just like riding a bike." :-/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to do a veg dinner once a week too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you said that the number on the scale doesn't matter that much to you and that you're really just getting toned and fitter! I think that's a great way to look at it since our society tends to focus so much on being "thin" which can sometimes be unhealthy. I also love your goal of no spending in August!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am most definitely not a vegetarian, but I do love making vegetarian meals. Having a once a week goal is so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all awesome, lady! I really hate that number on the scale too & don't even use it anymore, hah. I think it's more about how you feel + how your clothes feel! I'd love to read about your progress & workouts that you do also! I'm not going to do any shopping this month either.. we got this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful goals hope you achieve most of them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with your goals! I used Fitbit for a couple years to track everything and now I feel like I have a good understanding of my body and I don't necessarily need it anymore. I almost think I use it more when I'm less active, because then I need to see how badly I'm doing. :P

    Budgeting is so hard! I'm supposed to be on a spending freeze right now and while I haven't achieved that, I've gotten much better about impulse purchases. I still have trouble discerning between wants and needs, though. Do I NEED new sneakers just because mine are starting to get holes? No, because usually I just walk in them anyway and they're still functional. Now when the soles start flapping off, then it'll be an actual need.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I took Krickit for a walk at 10 last night so I could make sure I got my 10K steps in for the day - I couldn't fail on the first day! haha

    I've wanted a bike for sooo long but I have a list of other needs that always come before a bike :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally grinning because I could've written this post. We stated the once a week vegetarian meals at the beginning of summer and it's going great. August spending freeze AMEN!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best of luck on your goals! I have the same fitbit goals - I'm guessing I'll have a day or two under 10k, but I'd like to get over 70k each week for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the idea of vegetarian dinner- I do that too but mine is usually pizza lol! Not exactly healthy but sure hits the spot on a Friday night. I'm doing a spending freeze this month too! Really I just want to track my spending better so I can re-evaluate my current budgets and see where/if I need to make adjustments. Good luck with all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have found goal setting and achieving to be so freeing. I'm loving doing it, too because it helps me be not only accountable to myself, but also others. I'm also working to get more active every day, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Trying to get in 10,000 steps a day is on my goals for this month too. And I really like the idea of having a meatless meal once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't it cool how some goals just go hand in hand?! Like being more active and wanting to reach your step goals? Also eating healthier? So great. Caleb and I have been wanting to buy bikes for like EVER and really need to make that happen before next summer. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  23. you go girl! i have taken so many before pictures and literally never posted them because i never had a good enough after or actually any results :( i'm getting bigger and bigger by the day, i know i shouldn't rely on the scale but clothes don't fit right and the scale is going up, so they fit together lol.

    i am trying to do 10k a day as well - are we fitbit friends?!

    and good idea focusing on the days rather than the time, sometimes i'm like oh i worked out really hard monday i can take the rest of the week off ;) lol.

    I thought KC would never go for meatless meals either, but he is way more into it than i ever thought. we've watched a few documentaries and that helps. but i have a ton of meatless meals i love to make, KC eats a lot so he is harder to fill up, but basically lots of stir fries or asian dishes (using beans or chickpeas instead of meat) and we make black bean burgers (budget bytes) that we LOVE and lots of pasta dishes, falafel, sausageless sausages etc etc. there are tons of things! you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 30 active minutes 5 days out of 7 sounds like a great idea. Good luck with all your goals this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. From my experience the most recommended Bitcoin exchange company is YoBit.

    ReplyDelete