Northwest Native: All the cool kids are doing it.

Thursday, August 4, 2016

All the cool kids are doing it.

Do you know what makes me feel old? Lots of things. But this made me feel old in the best way possible.

I got a phone call from a "No Caller ID" number. My doctor's office's number always shows up like that, so I figured it was them. "Is this Jacob jfdskijfoewi?" Excuse me? Jacob what now? (I thought it sounded like 'Pistorius,' like that athlete from South Africa who killed his girlfriend.) I say no, sorry, and hang up...but then someone else starts calling me. I answer, and they ask me the same thing. And then someone else tries to FaceTime me. And then one of the first two numbers calls again. So I go to Google and type in 'Jacob' and one of the first few results is Jacob Sartorius, some thirteen year old singer who is apparently all the rage.
I also got two texts, so I responded to the one asking if I was this lame singer. "Nope. Where the f@*k did you get this number?" Is that harsh for someone who might be thirteen? You can answer that, I just don't really care because if you're gullible enough to believe that you randomly came across the number of your celebrity crush, you probably deserve it. She texted back, "Instagram." This is why Facebook had an age limit when it first came out. Can we bring that back and apply it to Instagram, please?
I went to this prepubescent boy's Instagram and checked out the comments section on his most recent picture. It was seriously littered with people posting random numbers saying stuff like, "This is really him! I just talked to him!" and "FaceTime him, this is his real number!" Like, seriously? This is a thing that people do now? And even worse, there are people out there who actually believe it? I honestly hope that those people who called me end up calling every single number in that comment section and rack up a huge phone bill and get grounded for life.
So today, I am thankful that I'm "old" and my idea of fun at thirteen was riding around on my Razor scooter and playing dress up in my best friend's super cool Mary Kate and Ashley clothes from Walmart, and not being an idiot and calling random numbers hoping to reach Jacob Sartorius Aaron Carter.

Linking up with Kristen & Gretchen for What's New With You!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling this story. I didn't see your tweets, and I would've hated to miss out on this story! bahahahahaa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that. Lol. That step in dog shit is GOLD. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, what the heck is wrong with kids today? I saw your Twitter feed and lUghed so hard at the barefoot dog crap tweet! Glad I'm waaaay old, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it so bad that I want to laugh? You were right to respond on the text the way you did. It is so annoying getting wrong number calls but even more annoying when it happens multiple times a day. I would have prob just switched off my phone. ugh.

    btw - never heard of that singer either til your post.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahahaha- kids are so so gullible :D This is a hilarious story, although I'm sorry that you ended up with a million calls and texts. I seriously fear for the pre-teen/teenage world my kids will grow-up in. Pleassssse don't let them be dumb and lazy! Haha #BringBackTheRazr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl... OMG! Reading your tale is hilarious! I just visualized your phone blowing up with all the incoming calls and FaceTime requests - like it was possessed or something! But, hilarity aside, I can see how it would work one's ever lovin' last nerve after a while. At least you got a funny story out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh out loud at the Aaron Carter comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry I laughed way too hard at your 'teen drama'
    I love your tweets about it.
    & the "hope they get grounded" :) :) :) ... oh, how vulnerable the young are :)
    I'm with you - put age limits on these thins. Kids dont need to spend all their time on social media. Get outside & play KIDS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I am dying. Really hope for your sake that the random calls/texts stop but girl I'm also with you on loving how I grew up. Spent OUTSIDE (no cell phone yet), playing skip-it, on my scooter, climbing trees and hanging with friends in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha oh gosh I can't believe that people were calling you asking for that kid?!?! How annoying! Kids these days. They need to put down the electronics and go play outside for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilarious! I'd have all the rage but enjoyed the re-telling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure how I missed your tweets! This would have really pissed me off, but makes for a great story! Kids these days ::eyeroll::

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, that would have been so annoying! Are you still getting messages from people?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg I can't believe this, kids are so gullible! I hope it stops soon! I'm always annoyed bc there's a guy in Maryland who always is taking his car in to get work done at a dealership and leaves me phone number every single time

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe that people actually believed the comments and were actually calling your phone! That's so random! And I probably would have wanted to cuss them out too for being so annoying! And I totally didn't know who he was either!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my gosh i'd be furious! i have seen those things on instagram and the like but i didn't know people actually fell for it. or that they gave out real unsuspecting people's numbers out. so much rage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh, that's so annoying! A friend of mine had to change her phone number recently because someone started using her phone number to sign up for a bunch of stuff and she was being harassed non-stop >:(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! How frustrating! I'm with ya, I'll take my blue eye shadow and Limited too outfits anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, this is great! I would also be extremely frustrated! Then again, I might just play along with it.. but that could probably end up bad too! Soooo maybe not, haha. I'm pretty thankful to be "old" and that we didn't have all these electronics/social media/etc. Although... if someone would have posted Justin Timberlake's phone number on gurl.com or bolt.com, I might have done the same thing... from a landline! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought the billion calls I get "This is a call to let you know your credit line is in good standing" was obnoxious, but that sounds way worse....I have over 50 blocked numbers for that, but I'm sure you topped a hundred with todays fiasco!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahah what the heck??!! Obviously not funny for you because that would be SO ANNOYING but kind of funny to read about it. Like who the heck would post your number with that claim? Have you been getting more calls or just from that day when it was posted?? That would be kinda funny to play along with it but would get old after like 5 people called.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woah crazy story. I would be pissed off too. Why are young kids calling a young singer? What has our world come to. But great story to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG! I'm dying at this, I had no idea who that person was until I clicked on the link and would be sooo pissed if that happened.

    ReplyDelete