Northwest Native: M&M: A Love Story - Part Five

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

M&M: A Love Story - Part Five

In case you missed it: Part One // Part Two // Part Three // Part Four

Long time no talk telling you about how Michael and I got together even though probably no one cares but me.

I flew home from Sydney on June 30th, 2012. When I landed in LAX, Michael was among the first few people I texted. I'm sure I texted my mom first, and I may have texted my friend Abby (who you may remember from part four; she was flying to LAX on a different flight and we were hoping to meet up before our flights home). I pretty vividly remember that first text conversation after months of Facebook chatting:

Me: Guess what.
Him: Best day ever.
Me: Why?
Him: You're back!

After that day, we started texting often. We had plans to see each other in July, when he would be in Seattle to work for a week (he worked for the organization that his dad works for, which has an office in the Bay Area where they live, in Seattle, and a few other places). I drove up to Seattle to stay with my friend Emily for a day or two before seeing him. We had plans to hang out on July 20th, a Friday. We actually ended up meeting up for a short time a couple of days before that.

We met up in the Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is) and just sat on a bench and talked. It was nervewracking and kind of awkward, but it was still good. I'm thinking that was Wednesday night. He went to the midnight premier of The Dark Knight Rises. A few states away in Colorado (and an hour ahead of us) there was a shooting at the premier. I remember being worried about him. (And consequently I'm never 100% comfortable in movie theaters anymore.)

Friday came around, and I drove to him and we went on our first official date for brunch at Coastal Kitchen. We walked around Volunteer Park. We were both kind of dancing around the issue of making it 'official.' I 100% knew he wanted to, but I think he was still a little unsure about what I wanted. He refused to ask/say it, so this is how it went down.

Me: I think we should date.

I have a way with words. And there you have it. We also took our very first picture together that day.

After that, Michael went back to California and we were back to texting, Facebook chatting, and phone calls. But he came to visit me at my parents' house about a month later. Yes, you heard that right. After one month of officially dating, with only really a day of that being in person, he not only met my parents...but he stayed in their house for multiple nights. Our story isn't a super conventional one.

Also, since we made it official, Michael kept hinting that he wanted to say the L word (but like for real this time, not how he had said it in the past). I said absolutely not, I wanted that to be in person. So the first night at my parents', we were hanging out with my parents all evening, and then my friend Chloe came over and we were watching a movie. I had already decided that once we were alone, I was going to tell him I loved him and be all brave and say it first. But when Chloe and I were running upstairs to get our Ben & Jerry's, Michael waved me over after she was up the stairs and beat me to the punch.

We were about 30-40 minutes away from each other when we were back in school. I actually got a part-time job as a cashier at Michael's, but I quit after about a month because my school work load was bigger than it had ever been, plus adding in trying to see Michael and I just started sobbing to my mom on the phone one day. After that, I would drive up to Seattle or he would take the bus down to Tacoma so we could spend weekends together.

For Christmas, I asked my mom for a plane ticket to go visit Michael and meet his family over winter break. I went down on the 29th of December and got to meet Michael's mom, dad, one of his sisters, and some family friends of theirs.

I really really didn't want to do this...but I'm going to hold off for another post. Mostly because it's already 9 p.m. Tuesday night and I'm just tired of writing, but also because I feel like the engagement/proposal stuff would be pretty long and make this post drone on. Sorry!

To be continued...

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

14 comments:

  1. Aww, I care! Haha! I've been WAITING for the part when y'all actually date :) Haha! What an awesome, unconventional whirlwind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Mattie, I demand you stay up some more and write for me! HOWEVER, I'm glad to hear you're dating in this story :) Kyle and I ended up saying I love you far sooner than I think either of us expected but it felt so right saying it instead of being like "I really like you..."

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that y'all have an unconventional story! My husband and I said I love you pretty quickly in our relationship too, and I think that sometimes you just know. Plus y'all had been talking for so long before you became official anyways. I can't wait to hear about the proposal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe :) This part of the story makes me so happy. Your story is so similar to mine in some ways with the chatting for awhile, making plans nd not going through with them and then.....Chris and I were sort of awkward after our first date too. We both wanted to be exclusive but Chris was afraid to ask because he thought I didn't want that and when he left that night it was still up in the air but then we talked on the phone after that and made it official. Haha.

    I love that Michael beat you to the L word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a story. I love how unconventional it was. Looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story! Can't wait for the next part!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you cut it off - the engagement/proposal needs a post all of its own.

    Aren't those days so fun when you wonder whose going to break out the L-word first & all the butterflies of hearing it? So much fun falling in love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your love story! Can't wait to read about your proposal! We said I love you pretty quickly into our relationship too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute story! Can’t wait to see the continuation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your love story. I can't wait for the next part.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahhh I love reading these posts and I totally love that you came right out and said that you should date!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so many parts! haha. i can't wait for the next part.
    KC and I met, then I flew home and we spent 2 or 3 months apart, and then when we saw each other the first night I went to KY, we said I love you too. i always thought it was funny because we hadn't spent much actual time together. oh and i met his mom that day too, but i stayed there for like 3 weeks or a month or something. hilarious right?! not conventional at all. high five!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay it took me a while to get to it because John got home early today and distracted me, but I just FLEW THROUGH THESE!!! YOU HAVE TO FINISH!! This is just like in the Notebook when Noah's reading Ali the story and she gets mad when they have to stop reading! Don't do that to me! This is my favorite. Seriously, the messages!!! Oh my gosh! And how funny is Michael?? Hahaha, seriously! You're going to have to show those to your kids someday. And you'll have to finish this so you can show them this too ;)

    ReplyDelete