Northwest Native: Love/Hate/Personal [6.17.16]

Friday, June 17, 2016

Love/Hate/Personal [6.17.16]

This was originally going to be a blogger love post, and then I found something to put in a 'hate' section, and then I wanted to share some personal things. Sooo, "Love/Hate/Personal" was born. Maybe I'll make it a series. Who knows.

The Loves

This post is perfection. It's oldish, but I found it through Carly. She commented on this post of mine and sent a link to this letter of his (also perfection). I had already read his letter to Brock Turner's father that went viral, and in that post he linked to this one. So it was random, but I loved it. And it was fitting after such a despicable act of hate toward the LGBT community in Orlando. (He wrote this in the wake of that.)
I took this picture during Pride in 2014 in Seattle. Kind of poor quality because it was on my phone and zoomed in (and I cropped it for this post) but seeing the city I lived in supporting the right to love who you want made me so happy.

Ericka's post, The Paradox of Being a Woman, is spot on. As a woman, you can't win. You're a slut or a prude, high maintenance or lazy, too loud or too quiet, have too many kids or are selfish for having only one or none... But men? Nah, men can do whatever they want, obviously.

Morgan's post, Why I'm Not a Fashion Blogger, definitely resonated with me. I left a crazy long comment on it, so I'll spare you my feelings about it and you can go read that comment instead. Ha! But I have to say that Morgan can write a serious post (or a post with a serious meaning) and still be hilarious.

Dani does it again. I could relate to her post, though our experiences have some differences, and she's had more time to deal with things. I removed my father from my life more recently, so I still feel a little bit of guilt, and I'm definitely not ready to forgive. But after reading this, I feel like maybe I will get there one day.

The Hate

[Note the double meaning: He is spewing hate & I hate this hate.]
This is absolutely NOT my favorite. This is despicable and disgusting. Last I checked, the books of all major religions (including Islam, BTW) say to love one another. So the fact that this Baptist pastor could say he's happy that 49 innocent people were killed because of who they love (in his words, they're pedophiles) is repulsive and so not in line with the foundations that his religion is supposed to be based on. He also says that the government should put all gay people in front of a firing squad, but goes on to say that the congregation should not take action themselves.

The fact that people like this exist makes me nauseous, angry, sad, and scared. And the fact that this man preaches to a congregation who most likely share his sentiments makes it even worse. Remember how on Monday I said that we can't blame all Muslims for the actions of a small sector of extremists? Here is your example of an extremist of another religion.

The Personal

I blogged five days this week. I didn't think that would ever happen again. (Don't come to expect it either...no way will I keep this up consistently!)

I did something to my wrist on Wednesday night. I honestly think it happened using my weights...which are five pounds. Yeah. I thought it would be temporary, but I woke up to it still hurting yesterday morning, and it hurt throughout the day.

This weekend is Father's Day. While most of the world country is celebrating their dads, my family and I will be scattering the ashes of mine. I'm sure it will be hard to see all the social media posts this weekend (seeing the advertisements everywhere has been hard too), but I would never be bitter about it. In fact, if your father (or a father figure) is in your life, I want you to show your love or honor him. If social media is your avenue to do so, do it. Do it because everyone who has lost their dad wishes they would've called them more, or hugged them more, or that they could just spend another minute with them. And if you lost your dad, or never met him, or he abandoned you or you cut him out of your life, just know that you aren't alone.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

24 comments:

  1. does that preacher realize that not everyone was gay that was killed? that, gasp, not only gay ppl go to gay clubs? i've been to bachelorette parties in them before. i can't even talk about it bc it angers and saddens me so. i can't believe this is still a possibility in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. I'll be thinking about you and your family on Sunday, Mattie!

    I truly believe God knows just what to do with people like that pastor. He'll get what's coming to him and it's going to be 10xs worse that what we could come up with here on Earth- and it'll last forever. People like that suck. Especially when they don't know the meaning of "pedophile." I bet he'll meet a few wherever he ends up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you love and thoughts for Sunday. I can imagine how hard mother's day and father's day can be for some. And I also have hate for all that hatred, especially when it comes from people who are in positions where they can easily influence others. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are few things I hate more than people spreading hate, fear, and negativity in the name of religion. RAGE.

    Big hugs to you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't even get me started on that "Preacher", it's sickening, I can't even...makes me so ragey. As someone who grew up without a Father, Father's Day never really bothered me. It wasn't until I was much older that it became a difficult day. I really appreciate you saying we aren't alone. You are so right. Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I think that I blogged 5 times a week maybe once, and it might happen maybe one more time. It's just so hard to write that much, unless you have a lot on your mind, like you did this week. I'll be thinking about you and your family this weekend! It's always hard to lose somebody and then to have others celebrating their loved ones who are still in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much rage. SO MUCH. I hadn't heard the Pastor story yet. Love how he blames "the media" for taking his sermon "out of context." Nothing was taken out of context- his entire hate speech was recorded and posted. And pedophiles? Really? He needs to put down the Old Testaments and pick up a dictionary. I'm certain there's a special place in Hell for him.

    I need to check out the other links! Thank you for the shout-out! Hugs to you this weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fathers Day & Mother's day is so hard for so many people :(
    I love this post because I'm always looking for some new good blogs & I'm off to check out all your favorites now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that you have a good weekend and cherish the time with your family this weekend. Spreading the ashes will be hard, but you are celebrating an amazing man. I feel really sad about families who have lost parents and then Father's Day or Mother's Day comes along. It is tough and I hope that you can still enjoy the day and think of the amazing memories of your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for blogging five days this week!! I know that struggle and was proud I blogged twice this week, haha! And I'll be thinking of you on Father's Day. Mother's Day can be a struggle for me, because I have a sort of complicated relationship with my mom, and seeing everyone's gushy social media posts can be unnerving. So I can relate to the social media wariness to some extent, just from a different angle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the blogger love shout out! I am sincerely touched. May you find comfort and peace on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ughhhhhhh the whole point of religion is to love one another and not judge and yet people like that are the most judgy and ignorant! I bet he hides behind his religion thinking he is a good person because he is religious. It's disgusting.

    Hugs to you Mattie, good luck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sweetie, much love to you and I hope your wrist feels better. Great posts to love and I love this one and pray we will all love each other a lil tighter!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will be thinking of you and your family this weekend, Mattie! I'm so sorry you hurt your wrist-hope it's doing OK!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What is wrong with your wrist woman? Did you bruise it? Strain it? What? Tell moi. Lol

    Amen. I always tell me to appreciate what they have.... Because I'd give anything to have five minutes with my dad. Burying him on my third birthday, I don't have any memories of him and that just plain sucks. I long for a man I never knew it's sad. Anyways, we are taking out my step father and it will be a good time. Hugs Mattie.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing these because I've been pretty sporadic with my blog reading, and there were definitely some that you listed that I'm glad I didn't miss out on!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I saw a headline for that article/story about the pastor and couldn't even bring myself to read the article because it's so awful. How can anyone claim to share God's love and his message and be hateful? Going to check out that Pavlovitz article you mentioned-- he really just keeps managing to share everything so perfectly. Thinking about you this weekend as you honor your dad for father's day<3

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have wrist issues from muay thai which is a common thing so i use rocktape (it's amazing) and treat it with acupuncture (again, amazing).

    ReplyDelete
  19. That paradox of being a woman post is one that is full of things I've said before. I appreciate that she put it all together in a post and shared it, though! It's definitely something more people should be talking about!

    As a Christian, I am just disgusted by that preacher's comments on what happened in Orlando. Like you said, there are extremists in every group. Let me be at least one Christian who says that I grieve the loss of those precious lives in Orlando. Thankfully I've seen more love poured out toward Orlando (even from pretty conservative people who may disagree with or be uncomfortable with the party scene or homosexual lifestyle) than hate. And that gives me hope for our broken world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As a daughter of a pastor (and even just as a Christian!) that man's comments makes me feel sick. I hate that it's getting so much air time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This would be a fun series!!!!!!! And I'm with you: We have to be compassionate! Whether you agree with people or not, God designed us in his image and thus gave us value. (So how could anyone be happy people were murdered?!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great recap and roundup! And bravo on blogging 5 days last week. that's no easy feat! I like the fashion blogger (or moreso, anti-fashion blogger) post. Very true and she made great points. I like fashion posts intermixed with other things. But I must admit that I don't read any fashion only blog. I like stories too much to do so!

    I have no words for that "Pastor". I think people like that are repulsive and I believe they have truly lost their minds.

    I hope the ash spreading went well on Sunday. I'm sure there was a lot of sadness there but hopefully some solace in your shared memories of such a great Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that picture of the flag on the Space Needle! We saw so many of those flags flying when we were visiting Seattle last week. It was so cool to see the whole city uniting in love!

    ReplyDelete
  24. love all of the posts you shared, except of course for the horrible hateful ones about horrible hateful awful people. i cannot stand when people do or say things in the name of religion, or so they say. what they really mean is they think it's icky and it makes them uncomfortable and they are horrible people. they think they aren't horrible by blaming it on someone else, regardless of whether the rest of the world believes in that someone else or not.
    anyway. rambling.
    hope your fathers day went as well as it could. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete