Northwest Native: Confessions: Bachelorettes & Body Positivity

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Confessions: Bachelorettes & Body Positivity

I am watching The Bachelorette this season. I know I've mentioned how I don't watch those shows, but this season I'm watching because of Jordan Rodgers, aka little brother of Aaron Rodgers. I wouldn't care about this otherwise, but Michael is a huge Packers fan, so I've become one too, and eventually my fandom extended to Aaron Rodgers himself and his relationship with Olivia Munn. And their puppy. And anyway I want Jordan to win 100%. I think he's super attractive obviously, and I thought his opening line about his parents was adorable, and I thought all of their interactions were adorable, and just so much yes. PICK JORDAN, DAMN IT. #eventhoughhisjeansarewaytooskinny

via GIPHY - This feels really creepy, but I was kind of at a loss for gifs to include in this post.

One of our customers, who happens to be a Washington state government entity, sent an email and it was in comic sans. And their signature block was also in comic sans, but in color. I don't think I can trust any government body that uses comic sans in their official correspondence. #fontsnob

Lately, every time I've talked to someone on the phone and told them my name, they've all said, "Is that M-a-t-t-y/M-a-t-t-i-e?" I swear when I say "Mattie" it sounds the same as when I say "Maddie," but it must not actually sound the same to outsiders. Because my name is Mattie, and if someone says their name is Mattie/Maddie, I'm going to guess it's spelled with D's right off the bat. #thisneverhappens #uniquespellingproblems

Yet another body image 'rant' for me: I absolutely loved The Girl on the Train and Me Before You and totally plan on seeing the movies...but I have to admit I'm kind of disappointed in the casting. I absolutely love Emily Blunt, don't get me wrong, and I think she's a great actress and gorgeous and looks healthy and blah blah. But (it's been a while since I've read it, so I could be wrong) I thought that Rachel was supposed to be a little fuller-figured. As for Me Before You, I don't know much about Emilia Clark (except that she's totally gorgeous) but I just finished reading After You, and Lou has apparently lost a lot of weight, but she puts on a UK size 10 (so, a US 6) and it's a little tight. I don't think a size 6 is big by any means (I wear a 4 or 6 in pants--depends on how they run), but I also don't think Emilia Clark is a size 6. And I know there are much bigger concerns in the casting world (like why white actors and actresses keep getting cast as Asian characters--there are plenty of talented Asian actors to choose from!), but anyway, this is something I'm pretty passionate about, as you may know. #teamkeepmovieadaptationsauthentic

So, I let my one year blogiversary pass without saying anything (it was about a month ago). I knew it was coming up and thought to myself that I should mention it in a post, then I just totally forgot about it until it passed. And then I kept forgetting and remembering. And now I'm mentioning it. And I don't really know why at this point. #someonegivemeagoldstar

via GIPHY

Linking up with Laura and Lauren for #HashtagHumpday...
...and Nadine and Kathy for Confessions!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

30 comments:

  1. So I just finished Me Before You early this morning and I am SO SAD about the ending. But I can't wait to see the movie! And I thought "Lou Clark" was supposed to be fuller-figured?? The actress in the previews was not what I have envisioned in my head. Maybe I'm just thinking wrong lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just finished Me Before You early this morning and I am SO SAD about the ending. But I can't wait to see the movie! And I thought "Lou Clark" was supposed to be fuller-figured?? The actress in the previews was not what I have envisioned in my head. Maybe I'm just thinking wrong lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, the GIF is definitely a little creepy, but I get it ;) I like Jordan, too, although I totally disagree with you: skinny jeans are never "too skinny." I was all about that trend on boys in high school. Haha. I'm A-OK with skinny jeans!
    Also, Happy Blog-iversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's one of my biggest pet peeves when people send emails that should be professional in crazy fonts and colors and sizes-- I just don't understand?? Happy one year of blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always get so mad about who they cast in movies! They are never what I expect in my head. Also I'm #TeamJordan too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's only been 1 year you've been blogging? It seems longer :)

    I am totally rooting for Jordan too - he is ADORABLE> If anything - hope hes the next Bachelor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't read the books but because I'm a "Game of Thrones" fan, I was excited to see Emilia Clarke on my screen. However, if that's true, that is a bummer. I feel like Bridget Jones Diary was the only movie that actually took the time to make the noted chubby girl from the books come to life. So weird.

    Funny about your name, our family dog's name is MADDIE. I like your spelling of your name, it's really cute. I'm sure if I heard it quickly I'd think "dd" as well - but that's because I'm attuned to that name~

    I haven't watched the Bachelorette but I plan to binge watch once there's about 4 ready ondemand.

    Happy Blogaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked JoJo on The Bachelor (last season was the first one i watched!), so I need to catch up on all the Bachelorette antics! Do you read All the Pretty Pandas blog?? The woman who writes it was a contestant on The Bachelor and has a pretty interesting/entertaining take on things!

    I never knew anyone named "Mattie" before you, and I'm pretty sure it would sound the same as "Maddie" if I said it! (Now that I think of it, I don't know any Maddies either...)

    Ugh Comic Sans?!? My college roommate was a graphic design major so I heard a lot of rants about Comic Sans and Papyrus over the years haha! Some of it rubbed off on me, and I would definitely raise an eyebrow if I got a serious/legit work e-mail in Comic Sans!!

    I want to see Me Before You because I love Emilia Clarke thanks to Game of Thrones, but I'm scared for the inevitable water works! It looks so sad!! I'm glad to hear you liked the book though--I've been thinking of reading it now that I keep seeing the movie trailer!

    Happy belated blogiversary! I can't believe your blog has only been around for a year--it feels like it's always been here! (Totally a compliment btw!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW I didn't realize I was writing a novel! haha!

      Delete
  9. Yes to Jordan's pants being way too tight. They are girl pants and that is why he couldn't do a proper touchdown dance. And yes to the rant on The Girl on the Train body image choices. You are right, Rachel is supposed to be a little bit bigger. She was slimmer when she was with her husband, but not now. I love Emily Blunt, but she is too skinny for the part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh cosmic sans makes me cringe! I really want to see Me Before You but I am terrified that the movie is not going to live up to the book. I am with you on casting. Happy Blogiversary!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I assumed you pronounced it "Maddie" but now I'm wondering--does Mattie stand for anything? And I love your gifs! Creepy or otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooh, super duper font fail. Like the worst font fail. Why is Comic Sans an option for people still?!?! Haha.

    And so agree with the casting! I just finished Me Before You, and the whole time I was reading it I was picturing Emilia Clarke and it just wasn't fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha I love that you're watching The Bachelorette purely for Aaron Rodgers brother! I'm surprised that it hasn't come up more on the show between him and Jojo yet! And I think that I remember Rachel being a larger girl too, although maybe I just think that way because she was an alcoholic. It's been a long time for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would be shocked if JoJo doesn't pick Jordan! It feels like the Jordan and JoJo show so far! I never thought about how "Mattie" and "Maddie" is pronounced the same. I just said it out loud several times! lol! Yay for one year of blogging! It's been so fun to get to know you through the blogging world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy (belated) blogiversary!! You totally get a gold star in my book!

    Also, I love that you are watching Bachelorette only because of Jordan. He does seem really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Blogiversary!! Comic sans for a professional email. No. And I think we are told to love our bodies and it is good to have all kinds but they are not represented in movies or magazines. I have never watched the Bachelorette but love reading recaps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Comic sans?! That is so bad. I have one colleague at work who has a blue faded swirly background on all of her emails. On her work Outlook account. Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, I am so out of the loop! I have yet to watch The Bachelorette and have NO idea who Emilia Clark is! But Aaron Rogers' brother? Heck yes, I hope he wins too! I feel the same way about comic sans. Thankfully I don't see very many people use it at work but when I do, it makes me cringe & want slap some sense into the person! And happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. Comic sans is the worst.

    2. And yay for one year blogaversaries! I think that mine has probably passed too. I should probably look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha I can never take anyone seriously when they use such a font; it's just ridiculous. I'm not even going to go into colors. I didn't realize that was Aaron Rodgers brother- I don't watch the show, but I hope he gets the girl! As for the upcoming castings, I do love both of those actresses, and am very excited to see them in their upcoming roles, but I can see where one might be weary if they hadn't seen them in such a role before. And as for the weight thing, as much as I agree with you, it's Hollywood. They do what they want. I mean, sex sells, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't believe Emily Blunt as the lead on the movie Girl On The Train either! I like the actress they cast for Me Before You. She's not rail thin and her eyebrows are fierce! And love the male lead too! I cried just at the trailer! Happy anniversary. I loathe comic sans too. And the director uses it. Barf. I think we're soul mates ;).

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love reading your confessions... I'm with you, I want Jordan to win, and maybe it's only because he's Aaron Rodger's brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't believe that a governmental entity uses comic sans in emails. That is so crazy. I can't even with the colors. Happy Anniversary!! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw the previews for the movie and I just cried from that. X Ambassadors released a video with clips from the movie and that made me cry as well (it was their song Unsteady). here. I know that one is going to be sad so I'm not seeing it in the theaters at all.

    Happy blogiversary! I remember back when you first started, I think you wrote a post about body image :) (so not creepy at all that I remember that). I don't remember if it was a first post you wrote or a few months after you started but that's when I started reading your blog.

    So I don't totally understand the Mattie/Matty pain because it's not my name, but I do get the is that J-O-I-N-E-R or J-O-Y-N-E-R? So there's that commonality.


    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  25. i totally get what you mean about casting and whatnot. it makes me sad when they ignore things like that. like emilia clarke might look a bit 'bigger' than say, i don't know, emma watson, but she's still not as big as me - and i am not big! i am a US 6. i think i look normal, but next to emily blunt or emilia clarke, i'd look like hagrid. like you said, there are more important issues but it's like.. we can still do something about the 'smaller' issues.
    i don't watch the bachelorette but yes that gif is creepy hahaha. it took me awhile to read the first paragraph because all i could see was people kissing lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Literally all of wisconsin, male and female, are watching the bachelorette this season, just because of little rodgers. lol. that's just how devoted packers fans are.

    ReplyDelete
  27. the only complaint i had with emilia clarke's performance in me before you is that she maneuvers her eyebrows a LOT when speaking.

    thanks for the comment you'd left on my post. they show louisa researching will's condition in the film. they show the positives.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy blogiversary! I enjoy reading your posts. I celebrated my 7 year Blogiversary in May. This is the first season (since the first season) that I've watched The Bachelor/Bachelorette. I like JoJo and hope she picks a guy that will be good for her even after the show ends.

    ReplyDelete