Northwest Native: Blogging community, I love you.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Blogging community, I love you.

I was going to write a Friday Favorites post today, and it was going to include pretty sugar cookies and stuff I want from Old Navy. But this felt more important, and I didn't want it to share space with cookies and clothes. This is a blogger love/favorites post of sorts, but it is a somber one. I couldn't get my thoughts together to write a whole post about the Stanford rape case (I shared a short blurb of my feelings here), but so many other bloggers wrote extremely moving posts that reflected things that I'm feeling. So I'm going to spotlight them today.

**Please note that some of these posts may contain triggers for victims of sexual assault or rape.**

Liz from J for Joiner: When the justice system fails

Audrey from Life as Louise: Thoughts on Recent Events

Erin from TexErin-in-Sydneyland: My two cents

Lindsay from Bourbon, Lipstick, and Stilettos: It's Not Okay

Stephanie from Life According to Steph: Thursday Thoughts: Burn It Down

There are probably more that I've read and forgotten to include, and I'm sure there are hundreds of blog posts about this issue that I haven't seen. Steph's post linked above also has links to a bunch of other posts and articles that I didn't link here.

If you're unfamiliar with the case, this article outlines some of the major points, and Brock's statement as well as the victim's statement and Brock's father's statement are linked within.

Michele Dauber, a Stanford professor, has tweeted a lot about the case, and I think she has a lot of good insight. She tweets a lot of letters written by friends of Brock to try to establish his character. The ones I've read blame the victim and act like Brock did nothing wrong, except maybe underage drinking.

One such character statement, written by his friend Leslie Rasmussen, is the only one I've read in full. And here is a response that summarizes all that is so wrong with her letter.

I was shocked to learn that Brock Turner has a sister. His father has a daughter. And yet, his father totally disregarded the victim. This easily could've happened to his daughter, and yet he shows absolutely no empathy.

Joe Biden wrote an open letter to the victim, and I almost cried at work reading it. I had no idea he wrote a Violence Against Women Act in 1994.

Note: I believe the outcome of this case was completely wrong and that Brock Turner deserves to go to state prison for much longer than six months, but I don't support death threats to anyone involved in this case (or ever, for that matter).

Comments turned off so you can do some reading/commenting on other posts (or not!).


Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest