Northwest Native: PEEVES

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

PEEVES

A girl I was friends with through high school said 'petike' instead of 'petite.' Pronounced exactly like 'petite'...except the second 't' sound is a 'k' sound. I was reading a blog post where someone said 'petite' and had a flashback to that mispronunciation. Terrible experience.

via GIPHY

I loathe the word 'irrevocably.' Like...in a book when a character says, "I'm so deeply, irrevocably in love with you," I shudder and want to vomit. I think it's because no one has every actually said that in real life. Right? Is there any way to use the word aside from confessing your deep, burning love?

The stupid marks on my face from sunglasses. I can't wear sunglasses and not get marks. Or if I'm wearing makeup, it will rub off onto the sunglasses. It's the reason why I'm always squinting and people ask why I don't carry sunglasses with me.

When people see your name RIGHT THERE on Facebook or email or whatever and they still misspell it. I dislike this so much that one time at work I did it accidentally to someone named Bryan and I spelled it 'Brian' so I immediately responded and apologized. Ha! He didn't even work for my company and he wasn't a customer, but I just couldn't leave it like that.

Dairy Queen's "$5 Buck Lunch" ad campaign. Do you see something wrong with that? If you read it, it's "Five dollar buck lunch." That, my friends, makes no sense. I almost included people using a dollar sign and 'bucks' in the same sentence in my last pet peeves post, but I feel like 97% of the time it's a typo or an oversight, so it seemed kind of b!tchy of me. But this...this is a national (I assume) campaign that's on menus, and giant banners outside of restaurants, online... That's just bad.

via GIPHY

Having too many posts in draft and not knowing how to finish them or what day to post them (because link-ups). Also having tons of post ideas flying around but not having time or willpower to write them or completely forgetting them and later realizing you had an amazing blog post idea and it vanished from your brain.

People who comment on blogs saying, "Excellent post, dear!" Especially when they follow up that genuine, deep from the heart comment with, "Go check out my blog!" and a link to it. Especially especially (two on purpose, for emphasis) when you see they've mass commented that same thing on like forty-five blogs.

Posting pictures of your child's first pee/poop in the potty. Can we all agree to never ever do this? I understand that it's exciting, but you don't need to post a picture of it. I don't care if you post a three paragraph status about it (unless you get too descriptive), just no photos.

When the radio asks those dumb questions (that usually have dumb answers) like, "What is the one thing 60% of women don't know about their husbands?" EVERY SINGLE DAY on my lunch break. I hear the question on my way home and I'm annoyed I won't hear the answer. Sometimes I even hear the question again on my way back. Basically, it's torture because even though they're dumb, the not knowing drives me crazy.

I know there's a big debate on Kindle vs. physical books. I have decided that I prefer Kindle books because I can't read a physical book while I work out. It doesn't stay open, turning the page is a pain...all that. Plus I don't have to actually go to the library to check out a Kindle book. But the most annoying thing about a Kindle is the percentage. I was reading The Royal We, 93% done, turned the page and...it was over (and I hated the ending...but I still rated it five on Goodreads because the rest was so good). Excuse me?! That 7% left is all just fluff?
via GIPHY

When people say, "This mama is so ____" (usually tired, happy, excited, blessed...whatever) on social media. Aren't we in agreement that referring to yourself in the third person is a no? So why is it cool if you're a mother? Idk, I just don't get it. [Update: Hadn't seen anyone do this in a long time...and then someone did it on Monday. Still going strong.]

I abhor (fun word!) the phrase 'all but.' I just don't think it makes any sense at all. Saying, "She all but shrieked" means she shrieked? What? Shouldn't it mean she did anything but that? Also known as the opposite? I just read The Good Girl, and I like the book, but the author uses 'all but' more than anyone in the world ever. And she takes it too far. "All but 120 pounds"? Seriously? At least if you're going to use that dumb phrase, it should be used for something not concrete like weight.

When someone says 'ancient' like 'anxient.' There is no 'x' in there, people.

Linking up with Nadine and Kathy for Confessions!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

27 comments:

  1. You list two pronunciation pet peeves, and I start my post today admitting a mispronunciation. That made me laugh at myself!

    The blogs in draft, plus not knowing when to post things, and forgetting fantastic blog ideas before we write them. I am by your side on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol lol lol lol "this mama." I'm sure I will probably do this someday too, just like people who used to call themselves "dogmoms" used to peeve me, but yeah..agree. Why not just say "I"...like "I'm so happy" or "I'm so tired." It also reminds me of the word..."wifey." I always laugh when people use "wifey" as a way to describe themself because I think, what did you call yourself before that, "girlfriend?" You'll never see "girlfriend" listed in someones instagram bio lol. But, I do have a wifey tshirt...sooo I'm not perfect lol. This are all GOLD Mattie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaaaas. The misspelling of name on Facebook is insane. Actually, lazy. It drives me batty. And sunglasses tend to make me breakout because my cheeks are fluffy and they ALWAYS sit on my cheeks. Ha.
    How about "expecially"? UGH.
    My best friend is a mom and 40% of her posts start with "This momma is so _____." I love my best friend- I really do- but how the hell am I supposed to comment or like that? It's literally a subtle gateway into mom bonding town where I have "no idea" the exhaustion/joy/blessings they're feeling because I can't comment underneath it with a story about my kid. (I love moms. I think they're great.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. People actually post pictures of their children's first toilet usage????? I'm kind of horrified by the thought. We're becoming less and less open with others in person, but online we'll post anything. W...T...F....

    If I think of a blog post while I'm out and about that I can't use for a while I'll add it to the notepad in my phone. It's saved me a few times when I needed to post something and was running dry on ideas that week :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The misspelling of my name drives me batty! It happens all the freaking time. I just got a letter from an Attorney and he spelled my name wrong on every page. My name is very easy but it's amazing how many times it gets messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't like the ending of The Royal We? I gotta know why!!! .. .but yeah, I hate when the percentage is off. It's most books that have like a chapter of another book - which is stupid. I've never read just one chapter in a book that they give.

    I'm with you on the potty pics. Talk about embarrassing when they grow up. That's out there FOREVER.

    The mass comment thing - Why bother people - why bother? So stupid.

    I also can't STAND when someone says Italian like I-talian ... like "I" hate that. Makes my eye twitch every time

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listen to two radio programs- one in the morning which is a 3-question competition called Battle of the Sexes and one on my commute home which is War of the Roses, a cheater's program. And every single day I get annoyed going both ways because I hear 3/4 of it and miss the endings because I lose the radio signal in the one 5-min tunnel my train goes through. Drives me nuts! Obviously I could save myself from the madness by not listening in the first place but that's no fun lol.

    I currently have 90 incomplete drafts. I guess I'm saving them for when my ideas run out?! I have gratefully never seen a "1st Potty" pic, but I'm pretty sure if I did I would immediately stop following that person- gross! And yes- the "x" in words. "Axe" instead of "ask" has always annoyed me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "i" in my first name, Jessie, gets left out ALL the time. And it's like, come on, it's plastered all over the place in my work email. And there is a woman at work, with an equally easy to mess up name that ALWAYS does it to me...so I purposely do it back to her. Am I a bad person? Maybe. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I have to say I have used the world irrevocably and irrevocable in real life before since I'm a lawyer (ya know, like an irrevocable trust in estate law). I used a Harry Potter gif today too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha I always hate when people post their kids pee/poop/ BLOW OUT pictures. Like great, we all do it, I don't want to SEE IT. Oh and the name spelling wrong thing drives me NUTS. I sign every email with my name and people still reply with "Hi Candice..." even my grandma writes on my wall on my birthday without fail every year "Happy birthday Candice!!" as you can tell we are close.. (my mom's mom haha) so yeah, so annoying. And if I spell someones name wrong I always email back like "oh sorry, spelled that wrong!" because I hate it, too! People spell my last name 100 different ways, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have so many parent post pet peeves, which maybe not being a parent myself I shouldn't, but I can't help it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've seen any first potty photos yet. That's just weird! The Dairy Queen campaign has been driving me crazy too! I hate when I forgot blog post ideas. I've started to write them down in random places, but then I forget where I wrote them down. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha this was such a funny post! I definitely read the DQ slogan exactly how you typed it. If you don't want people to say dollars then don't include the sign in front of the number. I always double check the spelling of people's names, I mean usually it's right there in the email. Sometimes there will be typos, but not all the time! There's a guy at our office who's nickname is Mikey, and our controller continues to type emails to him and call him Mickey. It's really funny because you know that it's not a typo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those sunglasses lines are my life. Ugh. I also have raccoon eyes for most of the summer because I tan so easily, but wear sunglasses all the time. So around my eyes is usually pretty pale. Ah oh well, you win some, you lose some. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i stopped wearing plastic framed sunglasses for that very reason (lines on my face etc) but since i bought my maui jims, no more lines and seriously, BEST SUNNIES EVER. i dont even feel them on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sunglasses marks are the worst-- for like 5 minutes of wearing sunglasses I have marks for an hour! I'm with you in kindle books too and had that happen with a book not that long ago-- it said there was like 10% left, but it was actually the afterward so the book just ended and I was like wait, what?! You're sooo right the DQ thing makes no sense, I was like what is a buck lunch? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, my sunglasses are always leaving marks on my nose and on my cheese and totally takes my make up off in those areas too. I am always botting to blend it back in when I take them off and my regular glasses do it too. So annoying!! I like my ipad for reading books when I work out too. I think irrevocably is so dramatic and I am not a huge fan of it in books either. Perhaps because it is over used?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The sunglasses one gets me too. So annoying. I am a mom and I don't post about my girls peeing or pooping. So gross. I have a ton of posts in draft form as well. Some are because I don't have the guts to post them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh I can't seem to wear makeup without it rubbing off onto my glasses and it's so annoying! I never remember to check to see if it's noticeable until it's too late. And I have about 8 million half finished posts in Drafts so I can never find anything, it's great. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  20. People have really said 'petike' and 'anxient'? What??! Haha, I don't understand why those are so difficult to say. And, I use the word "irrevocable" on a daily basis at my job ("irrevocable" contracts) haha. I don't know if I've ever heard anyone use that to describe their love for someone. People posting their kids' first potty? NO.. wtf! I'm SO glad I haven't seen any of that from my friends! I feel ya on not having the will power to sit down & write a post. I feel so completely worn out by the end of the day for some reason so putting together a post just stresses me out even more sometimes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nothing makes me laugh and shake my my head when someone comments a brief "good post!" Or "cool ____". It's like, did you read anything?! Or just skimmed? Come on now.

    I abhor the word 'absolutely'. I'm not sure why but I cringe when I head things like "I Absolutely love ____". Why not just say you love something? Why add another word to expressly stately what you're already expressing.

    But I digress. I'm a weirdo. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh and I get "Lynn" or "Leslie". And it's usually in emails where my name is right there in the footer. That's so rude when you cannot even be bothered to get someone's NAME right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes to the bot "nice post!" comments, haha. Like, thank you...

    Hilarious about the Dairy Queen thing! I never noticed that before and you are so right! Now I'm ashamed.

    I don't think little kid poop is gross at all, like sure, I'll change any diaper. But YES to HELL NO posting images of it. So gross. Not to mention, I'm sure the child in the future will appreciate not having their poop online.

    And couldn't agree more about the misspelling of names that are right there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My friend keeps saying post pardum instead of postpartum and it's driving me absolutely insane. I have told her about it a million times. I shiver whenever I read it or hear it. So I see your issue with petike.

    I don't know why people post photos of a lot of things...so many people post really blurry photos. Like, why? Those and your kid's poop can all stay off the internets.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful post dear! Would you like to do a follow? Please follow me here.

    JKJK - I get that quite a bit too haha.

    dude the let me AXE you a question....down here...I'm just like no you cannot hack me up to pieces. you can ASK me a question...

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  26. I use the word 'abhor' often. Love how it sounds. And how it tricks people up.
    I don't like the marks left by sunglasses either.
    Like you, I don't quite get the blog comments that are so general. It's almost better if someone leaves no comment at all, rather than "Good post. Please follow me."

    ReplyDelete
  27. excellent post, dear! hahaha. this is awesome. but seriously yes to the marks left by sunglasses or the makeup that must go with the sunglasses. i get super mad about the % on kindle or even a bunch of pages at the back of a real book, because i think it is more book when really it is fluff, as you said, and that annoys me so much. i love my kindle and real books equally. and yes to this mama.. blecch. i was at a wedding the other day, helping my friend do hair, and the photographer got a text and said 'aww' and we were all like, what? it was his 2 year old's poop in the potty (i flipping HATE the word potty and when adults use it, if we are talking about peeves lol) which he proceeded to show to us. STOP.

    ReplyDelete