Northwest Native: Memorial Day Weekend Things

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend Things

This weekend we went to Goodwill four times. In three days. Three different Goodwills. Michael even went to one of them again without me, so he went five times. We donated a bunch of stuff but we also picked up a small dresser for a guest room, pillows for a guest room (no, not used pillows, new ones), a super big comfy leather (pleather?) chair for $2.99 (that has a few scratches so I'll probably eventually get a slipcover for it if I can) and a super cool mirror that I'm in love with that will eventually go over our bed.

I also went to Target twice and Bed, Bath & Beyond (two different locations) three times.

My mom came over on Saturday and since she loves gardening, she brought some supplies and did a ton of work in our backyard. Basically, she hacked out an entire bush (minus this remaining stump that we will need more aggressive tools to deal with). It was seriously huge, and basically took up the whole corner of the yard and was growing over the fence and hanging over the neighbor's yard (that's behind us; we have neighbors on all three sides of our yard). Those two piles are branches of it that got hacked away. And maybe some weeds that were pulled too.

We also decided to spray paint our house numbers. They were silver, and they just didn't stand out very much. We decided to get a forest green paint, which pretty much looks black, but they still stand out a lot more, which we like.

Annnnd then we decided to take a (#nomakeup or should I say #noshower) selfie in front of our house, because that's just what you do, right?

I finally got our bathrooms all done after some trial and error, and I'm super in love with the soap dispenser I found at Bed, Bath & Beyond (and the toothbrush holder, but anchors always win). It's a whole set, but I only got those two things because the colors at least matched the shower curtain I got (yes, I chose a shower curtain from a children's decor line).

We're doing one of our guest rooms in red/black/white/gray (mostly because Michael won an autographed Blazers jersey so we want to frame it and hang it, and those colors don't really work in our living area or in our room), and we found red sheets and this bedding set at Ross. It's on a futon mattress on the floor...because whoever shipped the mattress was fine leaving it on our porch (thank you!) but UPS was not fine leaving the frame...so I have to go pick it up. *eye roll* Michael's dad is coming to visit on Friday, and we're so excited to host our first overnight guest (and give him a place to sleep that isn't our couch!).

And here are a few places in the living area where we're kind of making progress.
We're going to hang the 'D' on the wall (in my very first gallery wall! so excited!), but for now it's there. The frame is full of wedding pictures and was hanging above the fireplace in our apartment. I also have the little box we used for our wedding rings in the ceremony, our little Mexican skeleton wedding cake topper, and two ceramic owls. And our Bluetooth speaker which looks kind of ugly but it's the best place for it so oh well.
And here you can see how comically small our dining table is for our new dining area. (And the box still not fully unpacked, and the things to be hung up just sitting there.)
And there's the shelf thing you could see in the corner of the dining room picture. The bottom two shelves aren't done yet, but I'm liking the top half, at least! Also we bought that canvas shortly after moving into the apartment (that we were in for six months) and it didn't get hung up until we moved. But that's not even that bad, considering the print with the bicycle on it in the dining room picture we bought a few months before the wedding and didn't hang it up in Seattle or our last apartment...
Styling shelves is hard. This isn't done, and will probably be rearranged a few times... That's our front door at the end of the hallway, and off that hallway is our half bath.
And we hung up my print of Sydney which is one of my favorite things ever so I had to take a picture of it.

Other things we did this weekend...
Grilled three times (as in he grills, I drink).
I tried this and it was pretty good.
Documented Tully's love affair with the backyard (that is all dirt, bark chips, and weeds, minus a few bushes thrown in).
I ate this from a food truck near us on Friday--it's waffles made of mac and cheese with bacon in between.
Said goodbye to our apartment, and went in search of the ducks one last time. This duck marched right up to us (she was probably three feet from me) and she was just quacking at us. And then her baby, who we didn't see at first, came up to join her. We stayed long enough so I could take a million pictures and just look at them for a while, but I'm 99% sure she was quacking at us to get away from her child, so we didn't want to stick around too long.

Is it weird that I feel like this work week will be less tiring than this weekend was? What did you do this weekend?

Linking up with Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

29 comments:

  1. Girl moving is hard work! But you guys rocked it! Your home looks perfect and I am so happy for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is hard! I'm right there with you..I've been to Target more times this week than probably ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is looking so good my friend!! LOVE the gray with the red and white! And hello no makeup gorgeousness, man you look good!! I'm jealous, I look horrible sans make up! So glad Tully is liking his new yard too!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house looks huge! So much space to grow into and expand. I hope the next house we buy is just as large and is our forever home. That mirror is perfect! You got that at goodwill? And a fireplace sooo jealous! wish it got cold enough to warrant one down here!

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making such progress on your house! It's so cute! My mom also loves to garden - so nice when parents can help out like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You house looks great! Productive weekends are seriously the best. We did a lot of social stuff this weekend not much around the house... but we did pick out some patio furniture and figured out what it'll cost us to make improvements to the backyard :)
    I LOOOOVE that doggie food mat. Where did you get it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, in response to your reply: I have heard of amazon smile :) My purchases go to an animal rescue program, too! Haha!

      Delete
  7. Everything looks awesome! I loved making all the trips to Home Goods and stuff when we moved into our house two years ago, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely so tough getting things situated in a new house exactly how you want it, but once it's done, it's totally worth it! It seems like everything is falling into place finally, and I bet it's going to be so awesome to have family and friends spend the night in your new guest room soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, you guys did not waste a minute of your long weekend! Love all your updates! That Goodwill mirror is an awesome find!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Waffles made of mac & Cheese? Did you move to heaven or something? OH MY GOSH!
    I love your house selfie. So cute!
    Its so exciting to get that house all decorated how you want it. & I'm super impressed with your Goodwill finds. That mirror is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shut the front door!!! Waffles with mac n cheese and bacon??? AHHHH!!!!! That looks delicious! The house is looking good!!! I love going on thrift shop binges. You never know what treasures you will find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely sounds like a moving in type of weekend with target, BB&B & Goodwill trips! How fun, you must be so excited to be nesting so hard. LOVE the hardwood and one of the reasons I dream of a backyard is for my dog as well. Sooo cute how much they love all that space! I like to drink and watch someone grill me food too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moving is so hard, but getting all the stuff for the house is super fun! LOVE your house! Also, really love the mirror you got!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything is looking AWESOME. Can I just say how much I love you guys are planning an entire guest room around the Blazers jersey?? That is right up my alley!! Also, those waffles look sooooo good!

    Meg, Borrowed Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like you guys have gotten a lot of stuff done in just the past few weeks! I never think to check Goodwill for furniture but I might have to one of these days. That mirror is awesome! I can't wait to see it when it's all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything! Your house looks beautiful!! Looking forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That mirror is a great find. It looks super nice.

    I think we might have the same dining set - from Ikea? It is very small for your dining room though, like you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's from IKEA! We just moved from an apartment where the table fit perfectly. But our dining space is probably our last priority, so we'll just have a too-small dining table until we have lots of excess money or it starts to bother us. Ha!

      Delete
  18. mac & cheese waffles?! You guys have accomplished sooo much already! I love the new bathroom items and your guest bedding! And you've totally convinced me to scout out some Good Will locations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Y'all were able to get a lot done over the long weekend. We just moved into our first house back in January and we are just now starting to paint and work on stuff. It's so exciting but so exhausting all at the same time! LOVE the new bedding colors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you've been really busy! Sometimes work work can be more relaxing than yard work!! Also, you may want to remove the picture with your house number only because people can now find where you live. Anyway, looking forward to more house updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that, but no one knows the street name so I'm not concerned.

      Delete
  21. That waffle mac n cheese looks sooo good. I love that mirror that you found. Loving the new home pics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You got a big, comfy chair for $2.99?!?! I find some good deals at Goodwill, but that's like crazy awesome! Hooray for all your fun finds! :)

    The doggie food placemat made me laugh! "Nasty dry crap" haha! So true!

    Mac and cheese waffles with bacon?! What?! That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That sandwich looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i like your style of grilling. you grill, i drink. haha. the house looks great and i love that mirror! your goodwill(s) have way awesome-er stuff than my stupid goodwills. #noshower hahahaha. life. styling shelves is SO hard. i feel you. my house is not pretty because i suck at styling and stuff like that. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  25. YOUR HOUSE IS SO CUTE!!! You're like a real grown up now. Does it feel different lol?!?!?! Also Michael looks SO different with shorter hair. I still can't believe it. Anyways, back to the house. So I'm actually like terrified to buy a house because I used to work in mortgages and it's like....a nightmare. Was it a nightmare? I also don't know what we will do because we have no furniture lol. I always tell John when we do get a house we're gonna need to tack on an extra like...10,000 for furniture. (Totally exaggerating, but we would need a lot.) Do the dogs love the yard????!!! I'm seriously so excited for you guys! It's a big deal!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness! How exciting!! I've been out of the blogging world for a couple weeks and am trying to get all caught up and it looks like you've had a very exciting month or so! Congrats!! I love seeing how your decorating your new house and how much your dogs are loving the yard!! Can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete