Northwest Native: M&M: A Love Story - Part Two

Thursday, April 21, 2016

M&M: A Love Story - Part Two

See Part One here if you missed it!

Michael is one of those people who meets someone for three minutes and then adds them on Facebook immediately. Conversely, I'm one of those people who could know someone for years and not add them on Facebook ever, but I would accept if they added me. (My sister just got engaged to her boyfriend of five years, and we are not Facebook friends. Nor am I Facebook friends with anyone I work with.)

So, of course, after our meeting in Seattle, Michael added me on Facebook. He started Facebook chatting me one day when I was in my dorm room with Allison. He actually said to me, "Will you marry me?" I tried to go back and screen shot it, but Facebook will only let me go back to 2011. He was joking (kind of) and still had a girlfriend. I asked Allison why her friend was such a weirdo, and then probably said something sassy back to him.

Then there's a period of time that I don't really remember much regarding Michael (and/or my own love life). I think I started dating someone the summer after freshman year (so, 2010) and that only lasted a few months.

Michael and his girlfriend broke up in February 2011 (which I know from looking at my old Facebook messages for this series--I promise I don't just know this off the top of my head). It's really weird, because like I said in Part One, I didn't even really look at Michael through the lens I normally looked at boys ("Is he cute? Would I date him?") but I know exactly where I was when I found out they broke up. Allison and I were standing in line to buy tickets to an on-campus movie, he texted her, and she told me. Super weird, right?

That summer, we Facebook chatted a little bit, just friendly, but he was being kind of flirty. Since I was boy crazy, I flirted back (aka: was sassy back--it's both how I flirt and how I brush off flirting, apparently) and wondered if there was any possibility. Then, out of nowhere, in July (I think) he ranted to me about how his ex is a bitch. I asked why, and he said they were seeing each other that day, but she was only going to do it for 'closure' and that he was still in love with her. So that killed any possibility for me. I also thought it was really strange how deep he was getting--we were only 'surface friends'; we had only met that one time in 2009 and had Facebook chatted a little here and there.

And yet, in August, after telling me he's in love with his ex, he says this. (And I was sassy back--probably partially to be flirtatious but also because he had told me a month before that he was still in love with his ex.)
This is the earliest that I screenshotted him saying he loves me, but man, dude said that a lot before we started dating. Kind of a weird thing to joke about when you might actually want to date someone in the future, now that I think about it. This was just over 11 months before we started dating, and probably like 9 or 10 months before I seriously considered the possibility of us dating.

We kept talking via Facebook chat, and I think some texting too. I had one semester left in the US, and after that I was leaving on February 11th to study abroad in Australia. We started making plans to hang out some time after he came back to school.
Again with the L word. So according to this message, we were planning to hang out in September. We'll wait until Part Three to see what happens next.

To be continued...

I'm linking up with Annie and Natalie for Thoughts for Thursday and Amanda for Thinking Out Loud Thursday.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

23 comments:

  1. I love that Facebook let you find these messages haha! It's probably so weird to read them now that you know what you know! Seems like he was chasing you ;) And just so you know, sassy is how I flirt too. It's a real thing. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never seen a guy say that out of the blue! his technique definitely worked!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a fan of this- I love a good, flirty, are-we-or-aren't-we courting before the actual relationship. I wish I had text messages and internet chat messages from K's and my early days!
    (Also, I know the date of of our first date, our first kiss, when K and his gf broke up, when I dumped my ex bf, etc.... so no shame in the date-knowing game.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all so fun to read! I love it! I can't wait to see how it all progresses. (Also, so glad you're writing this out faster than I post my love story series....people definitely fall off the bandwagon when you let 2 months go by before the next part! Hahaha OOPS.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, so fun!!! I am so with you on the Facebook friends thing. Grant friends everyone he has ever even met for 5 mins and I'm like you - barely friends with people I know and NO work people ... gasp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love you have these screen shots of you're conversations with him. What a fun memory. You should totally print them all out. What a fun thing for your kids to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a friend that ends every conversation with I love you. It was weird at first but then I got used to it.

    Although I can get what you mean with Michael, especially if you liked him as well.

    I wish I had screenshots of Kyle's and I's relationship, I text wayyyy too much to go back and look but believe I've tried to go back and look at it.

    Can't wait to hear about part III!
    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these posts! so cute to remember back to how it all started. I'm the same way as you are with Facebook. I'm not even sure the last time I sent a Facebook friend request. 4 years ago probably.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so wild! And takes me back to my college Facebook message-flirting days--eek! (Since I did not wind up dating any of those guys, haha!) I can't believe how many times Michael said that he loved you--it's like he knew before he *really* knew, ya know? haha So cute, I can't wait for part 3! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never get on facebook anymore, but I'm a little bit scared that it has messages from that far back?! haha But loving this story about how you guys started dating- can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have ALL THE SASS all the time!!! You hate it or you love it. It's so funny that you have these messages. My co-worker printed out her and her husband's fb messages on their wedding day to give him before the ceremony. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How funny that he kept telling you he loved you! Haha. Love all your sass!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Look at all that lovin' he was passing on to you. Cute! And I love your sass! I still have mine and Christopher's early AIM chat conversations and some of them are painfully awkward to read now (we thought we were so cool and flirty at the time, but as an adult looking back on messages you wrote as a 17/18 year old, it just all sounds really awkward and dramatic, ha!). Anyway, I love this! Looking forward to part 3!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you have these messages to look back on! My husband and I started dating when I was away at college too and looking at our old emails makes me laugh, but also cringe. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a sassy/brusher off of flirting. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm much more like you with adding people on FB, mostly because I'm just not on there a lot. And I never accept coworkers on there. If I get a request, I politely tell them that I don't accept coworker friend requests as a rule. They usually get it.

    I think I'd get freaked out by the L word before we were even together, but I love your sassy responses! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WHAT. no fair. this is like a book that i was expecting to be longer than it was. rude. hurry up part 3. i think we flirt the same haha. I might be more blunt and sarcastic than sassy. KC thought I hated him at first. oops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that you had your Facebook messages to look back on! My husband and I had started talking on Facebook too, and it's so funny to go back and look at all of the embarrassing things we said to each other! Can't wait to see what happens in part 3!

    ReplyDelete
  19. haha I love it!! It seeeeems like he was totally crushing on you by the way he would talk to you!! Thank goodness FB let you go back to get some of the messages. I still have some with Jason from forever ago and they're so funny and crazy how we are married now! Bring on part 3!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Somehow this post slipped past my feed on Bloglovin' and Blogger, woops! Oh, Facebook.. the kind of match maker, haha. Curtis & I started talking on Facebook too but I've never gone back to read any of our old messages! I love that he started telling you that he loves you! Ahhh, I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so behind on my reading that I am just getting to this today and hoping that part 3 is conning soon since I was holding out on part 2?!?! Haha! Fun fact, Chris said I love you on the phone to me by accident before we ever met. When we used to just talk and I had friend zoned him. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this. Can't wait for the next part.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ugh, this is just adorable. It's hilarious how much he said he loves you... and NOW HE REALLY DOES! ;)

    ReplyDelete