Northwest Native: M&M: A Love Story - Part One

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

M&M: A Love Story - Part One

I've wanted to share the story of Michael & I for a while, but I kept putting off writing it. I can't really imagine writing anything that upbeat or funny or centered around shopping right now, so I figured this would be good topic to get myself back into blogging again.

Before I started college, everyone told me the horror stories of their freshman roommate. I remember when I got the letter telling me my assignment, I immediately stalked her on Facebook (as you do). One of us added the other on Facebook, and then we wrote on each other's walls or messaged or something. Allison actually sent me a screenshot of our first interaction via Facebook a couple years ago and it is cringe-worthy. It's super upbeat and positive and totally reads like what you'd send to someone you don't know (because, duh, that's what it was). I remember telling her that I had a microwave and a mini fridge we could use in our room.

Anyway, she seemed normal enough via Facebook. (I promise this isn't Allison & Mattie: A Love Story...just bear with me [Note: I have to Google 'bear with me' every time I use it to make sure I'm using the right 'bear.']). The day I moved in, Allison and her mom were there first. My parents and I started moving our stuff in and Allison and her mom were just silent. I remember thinking she was either crazy shy or they both hated us. My parents went home, and I went to bed and Allison didn't come back. It was kind of weird (and a little freaky staying alone in the dorm my first night) but the next day Allison told me she had stayed with her mom in her hotel room.

So, once Allison's mom left and we spent time together one-on-one, she didn't hate me. We talked and actually really bonded. She became one of my best friends. We started school in August (private schools, I tell ya--lame) and one Sunday in September she was going to take the bus from Tacoma to Seattle to see her friend from high school who had started school at Seattle University. She invited me so she wouldn't have to take the bus alone, and I didn't have plans and thought hanging out in Seattle would be fun, so I tagged along.

As you've probably already guessed, this friend was Michael. I'm going to admit something. I was super boy crazy in high school and the beginning of college. Not boy crazy like I had sixty-five boyfriends, just boy crazy like no matter where I was going (the grocery store with my mom, the library, whatever) I always had this thought in the back of my mind like 'maybe I'll meet a boy omg.' Not like I thought I'd meet my husband or anything, I just wanted a boyfriend. Hahaha. But I didn't ever think that when we were going to Seattle to hang out with Michael. He had a girlfriend at the time, but I don't know if it was all that or just the fact that I had just started college and there were plenty of boys there. I just distinctly remember not thinking anything about him at all (like if he was cute, etc.) before I met him or when I met him.

We just walked around Seattle and Michael told a bunch of embarrassing stories about Allison. It was a lot of fun. There was this guy hanging out at Pike Place Market with his pet snake and Allison and I actually held it and made Michael take pictures. He was way too terrified to hold it himself.

And now I'm just going to photo dump a bunch of other pictures from that day, because I kind of love that I have pictures from the very first day I met Michael, even though there was absolutely nothing between us at that point and he's not in any of them.

On the bus on the way there. Thanks to Allison's camera having a time stamp, I know this was apparently on September 27th, 2009. Also, aren't my baby hairs flying everywhere just the best?

If you've heard of Pike Place Market (a Seattle icon), you may know that one of their fish stands is famous for throwing fish. We got a picture with one of the fish throwers. Shoutout to Michael for being our personal photographer all day.

This was in Pacific Place, Seattle's 'fancy' shopping center downtown. Penguins are my favorite animal, so I obviously needed a picture with this bionic one.

Our college mascot was the Loggers, and there was this chant, "Hack, hack! Chop, chop!" which doesn't really have a ring to it, but whatever. And Allison wanted to act it out when she found this giant tree. In the first one I couldn't deal; I doubled over laughing because I think this was in the middle of the Seattle Center aka kiiiind of embarrassing.

I wasn't going to include this picture, but I had to because Palm Centro! Did anyone else have that phone? I was obsessed. It was my first phone with a full keyboard. The buttons were tiny, and I had it mastered, but if anyone else tried using my phone they would get super frustrated and curse those small keys.

And that's the day Michael and I met. Nope, no hints at how we went from meeting to dating!

To be continued...


Linking up with Astleigh for The Pick!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

28 comments:

  1. This is adorable, Mattie! When I first met Kyle there was nothing romantic going on either! I can't wait to read more about your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love this. How cool you do have pictures of the first time you met. What a special thing to have for fun memories.
    Aren't old phones the funniest? Makes me think how we'll look back to the phones we use now & think of them.
    Cant wait for more of the story

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome that you have such vivid memories of the day you first met! Now I need the rest of the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love this! Can't wait to read the rest of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound so much like me when I started college, haha! I was totally boy crazy (and simultaneously terrified of boys lol), and I too thought that my eventual (and current!) bffl hated me when we first met. That's so awesome that you have pictures from your first day with Michael! I have vivid memories for stuff like that too, but no pics from the first time I met B, haha. (Although we did meet in therapy, so not exactly an apporop place for photos... ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about you last night, wondering if you were going to be back soon. Glad to see you're easing yourself back into blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you have so many photos from the day you met! Glad to see you back blogging. :) Can't wait for the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww this is so adorable! i love that you have photos from this day as well. i have photos from the day after, i think. and i have to google bear with me every time as well.

    thinking of you girl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to see you again Mattie!

    I love how you and Michael met! I'm sure you and Allison are still life long friends :) I can't wait to hear the rest. Kyle and I met long before we even started dating. Although most people think we just met for the first time when I started working at his job.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a cute story of how y'all met and that you have pictures of that day, even if Michael isn't in any of them. I'm with Michael and totally wouldn't have held that snake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww I love that you met him through your college roommate, so fun!!! Just look at baby Mattie, so cute :) It is awesome that you have so many photos from that day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these kinds of stories!! Can't wait for the next part! I hope you're doing well, still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool that you have the pictures. And I love reading stories like these!! Mattie, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back! And what a fun story of how you guys met! I can't wait to read the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm guessing that Michael was taking all the pictures??? Cute story. I've forward to the future installments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww, this is so cute!! Love stories like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! And I love that you have photos of the first day you guys met even if you aren't actually in them together. What cool memories!

    ReplyDelete
  18. AHHHHH I love this. I ALWAYS hear stories about people meeting like this and i'm glad it happened for y'all too. So excited to see the ending ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so liked this, I look forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE love stories and can't wait to read more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love love stories! YAY! It's so awesome that you have pics from the first day you guys ever met. I have pics from the same day Blue and I met too since it was at a wedding haha. Can't wait to read the rest, especially since I know there's a happy ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is awesome!! I remember my first college roomie, she was super cool, too and we are still friends :) I'm glad you had such a good first roomie, too!! and she basically introduced you to your future husband so you owe her for LIFE!! also I totally google bear / bare every time I write it, too haha. K chop chop on part 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute!!! What a good place to gab it up when you just met someone (even though I know it wasn't like a first date). But you have something to do and talk about the entire time since Pike Place has so many things happening.

    ReplyDelete
  24. CANT BELIEVE I MISSED THIS! What an incredible way to meet someone! Ok. Now back to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm loving this story so far! And I love that you and your roomy hit it off! And hey, you went to UPS! I went to Western then UW Tacoma :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for sharing your story. I can't wait to read part two next.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I AM SO EXCITED TO READ THE REST. I love love stories!! ;)

    ReplyDelete