Northwest Native: Wedding Wednesday: What Went Wrong

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Wedding Wednesday: What Went Wrong

Everyone says not everything will go as planned on your wedding day. I didn't really believe that, but there were some bloopers during our day. It wasn't anything too horrible, and I have to say, as the bride/groom, when relatively small things go wrong, you probably aren't going to care. Or maybe you'll care in the moment, but once it's over you'll totally leave it behind.

I have to give credit to Jessica who wrote a post like this one recently. I never would've thought of it otherwise. (Did you know we got married exactly a week apart?)

*You've seen this picture before, I just didn't want the post to be completely bare.

My bridesmaids and I who stayed in the same hotel the night before all agreed on a time to meet in the lobby on the morning of (it was early enough to go get Starbucks before heading to my parents' townhouse to get ready). One of my bridesmaids didn't show up right away and I kept calling and texting with no answer. I was so paranoid she was still asleep. I even had the hotel call the phone in her room. She showed up a few minutes later. Apparently she had been in the shower or in the bathroom getting ready. Her poor boyfriend was the one who got woken up. Oops!

I got our banquet permit months before the wedding. In the days leading up to it, we said to each other that we needed to remember to print it to give to the caterers. Did that happen? No. So while I was getting ready at the townhouse, Michael called me frantically asking for it. I didn't have my laptop, and it wouldn't work on my phone or an iPad because I couldn't search G-Mail fully. Luckily after about five minutes of me hyperventilating and probably acting like a bridezilla, I found it and forwarded it to Michael. (I'm pretty sure Michael called again during that time that I was looking for it which DID NOT help. I had to yell at him that I was looking as fast as I could. Oy.)

It was also pouring while Michael, some of his family, the wedding planner, and the groomsmen set up the reception space. Michael was carrying his phone in his pocket and...it got water damage.

When we decided to get married in the Catholic Church (because Michael's dad is a deacon, and he can only perform a marriage in the Church) we found out that they only let you use their songs for your entrance. I assumed this meant I wouldn't be able to walk down the aisle to the Bridal Chorus. I was really bummed out because if I was going to have a 'traditional' wedding (I never really pictured myself getting married in a church), then that's the song I would want to walk down to. Turns out, that is an approved song so I got to use it! I chose a song for the bridesmaids and groomsmen to walk down to and I was going to walk down to Bridal Chorus. Well, the organist just completely missed his cue. My dad and I waited and waited because we thought maybe he would get it, but nope. We ended up just walking down to the bridesmaids music. You'd think I'd be really upset because it was such a big deal to me that I got to choose the classic song, but once I started walking I realized it really didn't matter.

Before the music got messed up, we had another issue with the church. I'm going to note that we had a wedding planner and she was amazing. Most churches have their own wedding coordinator, and your wedding planner kind of has to take a backseat to them. Our wedding was the first one done by the wedding coordinator by herself...and she was horrible. We had to bring checks to pay the musicians the day of the wedding. She came to where I was waiting for the ceremony to start frantically asking for their checks. I had someone go find my mom to bring me my checkbook, no big deal. But then this lady just went around frantically asking anyone and everyone for money for the musicians! I was already handling it. Michael's cousin's husband almost gave her money because he had cash on him. I thought that was extremely unprofessional of her, not to mention ridiculous. (Okay, this part kind of irks me now, but on the day of, once the checks were handed to her, I let it go right away.)

Another thing that happened prior to the wedding when we met with the lady who works in the office (not the wedding coordinator) was that she insisted we have the best man and maid of honor to sign our marriage license. We were going to have our moms do it, because we each had two best men/maids of honor. She said she "had never done it another way and didn't know if the state would accept it." Umm, the state doesn't care who signs it, as long as it's signed. But we just said fine, whatever, and picked one maid of honor and one best man to sign it, and figured on the day of we would just have our moms do it anyway. But she wrote in their names...so we were screwed. I just thought it was pretty ridiculous she thought the state would care at all, especially since some people get married without a wedding party.

Michael lost his apartment keys at some point during the wedding day. In the first few days after the wedding, we looked everywhere, and then gave up and I went to the leasing office to have keys made (which costs $60). Later that day, Michael's dad called and told us that the rental car company called him and said they found keys in the car. I called to cancel our new key order as she was just about to put it in, so luckily we didn't have to pay for those.

I'm linking up with Macy for Wedding Wednesday.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

27 comments:

  1. I'm glad you did a post like this too! Ugh I can't believe that wedding coordinator with the checks for the musicians! In what world did she think that was appropriate?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! It is so fun to think about the little things that went wrong and how stressful it all feels and how much it didn't actually matter in the end! I just posted some similar things about our ceremony! We had some hilarious things happen!

    thefullestlifeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to find the people who had perfect weddings, because I really don't think that there's a couple who had nothing go wrong at their wedding! That sucks that the organist missed her cue and you didn't get to walk down the aisle to your traditional song, but it's great that you didn't let it effect you. And there's always that one bridesmaid that's late, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea behind this post is AWESOME! I love the wedding blooper reel. I can't believe that lady told you your best man/maid of honor had to sign the wedding license! Weird... I'm glad you can look back on (most of) these and laugh! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love posts like these! And oh my word I would have lost it on the church's wedding coordinator!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know despite all of the mishaps and things that went wrong, so much of it went right too :) And it's really good that despite all of that you still managed to have a great day. Some people really let that hang over them all day (me) and it ruins their day.

    Thank god that Michael did find his keys, paying to replace is such a pain. That is incredibly odd about who has to sign it too. I could kind of see why it couldn't be the mothers because when we had ours signed, the person couldn't be related to us. That also meant we had a complete stranger sign ours because we didn't think of bringing someone with us. The clerk was one of the signatures.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, no one has the perfect wedding. If someone says they did, they are lying. And a perfect wedding would be so boring! There is always one late bridesmaid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The state wouldn't accept the license that way, haha what?! I'm still laughing at that one. Ridiculous!!

    Isn't it so funny to look back on the day and see all the little things that went wrong?! All that matters is at the end of the day you two were and are MARRIED. Woo hoo.

    ...but my dad and I walked down to the wrong music, too. Boo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many details! Glad you were able to let the little things go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. More people need to share these posts because we live in a world where it seems everyone has these beautiful PINTEREST weddings with nothing wrong every happening.
    Every wedding I have done - SOMETHING - & sometimes, MANY THINGS, have gone wrong - its life. Its what makes a day memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree with other comments, this is a great post idea! But, I think it's awesome that you were able to go on & not let it get to you! I'm really surprised about that wedding coordinator asking for money from people! You even told her you were taking care of it so she should have just left it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, with so much planning and joy!~ There's still so much that can go wrong. The lady who told you about the wedding license is really weird, what the heck. Of course the state doesn't care!! How dumb. Bummer about the water damage to his phone but NW weddings generally come with a little bit of rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's crazy about her saying it had to be your maid of honor/best man who signed. I know things differ by state, but I'm pretty sure it can be anyone. But like you said, it's good to be able to just shake your head and let it go. In the big scheme of things, the important thing is that you're married.

    That's what we said the whole time we were planning the wedding and even on the wedding day. We had a music mix up (for our exit song) which looks hilarious in the video. Because we've have just been presented to everyone as Mr. & Mrs. Vendetti and the music starts so we start to walk... then I realize it's the wrong song. So I freeze midstep with this quizzical look on my face. And the music fades and the right song starts. And the audience laughs and my husband and I laugh. And it was all fine. :) Probably the worst mix up at our wedding was that we had the wrong cake. We'd actually paid extra for a square tiered cake because we thought they looked really cool, but we ended up getting a traditional round tiered cake. The funny thing was, I was so floating on cloud 9 that I didn't even notice! I realized it later when I was looking at our wedding pictures. I was a little miffed that we'd paid extra for the square and gotten round, but I let it go because at the end of the day we were married and that was the best part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea for a post! I do think that the little bloopers that go wrong with weddings, as long as it's not anything major, Are what gives it character and interesting memories to look back on. I'm so glad it all turned out wonderfully you can absolutely see how beautiful it was from your awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that the wind was blowing both of your hair towards each other rather than just blowing in one direction (damn wind).

    I think most of my hiccups occurred in the three days leading up to the wedding rather than the day of. We were a little late starting the ceremony because we were late finishing up our hair. I only finished half my makeup at the hair salon, and then finally finished it up when we got to the wedding venue. My brother in law (groomsman) was drunk, and one of the other ones was severely hung over. Some of the decorations were temporarily lost at the reception's loading dock, so the reception opened later than intended. If there was anything else major that happened I really don't remember. Fortunately at the end of the day you end up married the one you love, so it's all good :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyone is going to have at least one thing go wrong so it was good you were able to let things go on the day. The check hounding thing sounds totally annoying and I would have complained so hard after everything was said and done. You had it handled!!! The key thing, oh gosh! At least you were able to cancel the new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The church's wedding coordinator sounds ridiculous! I would have been ticked! So crazy the lady said the state wouldn't accept the license that way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh yay that's awesome you didn't have to pay for the keys. i'm sorry about your song but that's good that you didn't care or let it ruin your day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The wedding coordinator and the lady who worked in the office both sound like a boat load of fun! I guess in one way you could say they were taking their job super seriously, but on the other hand, really?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a good post, I think something goes wrong with every wedding. We had torrential downpours and had to move our indoor wedding and get a valet for the guests at the last minute. But I rarely even think about that stuff. It seems like even with a few snags, your day went off perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so true that something goes wrong at every wedding! My dress ripped! It was a lot of lace and it just started coming apart! Thank the Lord my SIL had a sewing kit, and my mom sewed it right in the lobby before the reception! At that point, I couldn't even care. We were married, we got our pictures, and it could've been worse!! So glad you had a happy day despite the hiccups!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh man, I probably would have been freaking out over these things. I'm not great with things not going according to plan, haha. It's awesome that you were able to let things go so quickly! The music thing would have definitely bugged me, since I would LOVE to pick out music for a wedding, especially a Catholic wedding haha! (Back when I used to go to church regularly, the "setlist" for a Mass would totally make or break my experience that day! The singing is my favorite part! #nerdalert #choiralum)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these posts because no wedding goes on without a hitch. We have our issues too. They forgot to serve champagne for the toast (only my husband and I go it). It was an open bar for beer and wine only, hard alcohol was to be paid for. But they had total open bar and blew through the money with an hour left (when we thought we would get a refund). It was a mess and we fought with our coordinator over it (the night of our wedding) and it was all taken care of (but we didn't get any money back). My coordinator forgot to put the tulle around the arch we built to get married under. Small things, but they mattered to me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bless it! My day definitely had some bumps too! I can't believe the wedding coordinator just starting asking people for money!! What is wrong with her?? And as far as the marriage license goes that's dumb, but goes back to the whole people like to do things their way even if it's the wrong way. Ugh. Love this post though! So genuine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The wedding coordinator would have had my foot in her mouth. Seriously?? Im glad everything worked out though - and in the end they all make for the best stories. Except wedding coordinator lady. Shes just foul.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This post is amazing! Even with all of the bloopers, your wedding was beyond beautiful! I have one of these posts planned as well, in the end we just have to look back and laugh!

    ReplyDelete