Northwest Native: Thursday Jumble [2.4.16]

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Thursday Jumble [2.4.16]

Today is kind of a mashup of a life lately/Friday Favorites/whatever I want to talk about post. I'm linking up with Kristen for her brand new link-up, 'What's New With You?'! And she said you can post about anything so there. (Also I've been feeling spread very thin lately and I am going to take tomorrow off. So you get this random mess of a post today!)

I mentioned that I have been planning to get a gym membership, but I'm currently on a free trial period. I finally went to a Zumba class and remembered just how much I love it! I actually took an unplanned 'personal day' last Friday and went to the noon class. Then I went on Tuesday night after work and it was a different instructor but it was still pretty good. (It kind of sucks how much the instructor makes the class. Not even their personality, but the songs and choreography they use.) I'm really sad that the Friday at noon guy only teaches that class, because I can't take a personal day every Friday.

I also kind of hate the timing of the classes. Tuesdays are okay because the class starts at 5:30. I get off at 4:30, and by the time I change and drive from work to the gym (eventually I'll change at the gym, but I need a new lock for a locker) it's not even five. I used the elliptical for about 25 minutes before class on Tuesday, and it really made it harder! I felt prettttty proud of myself though. But anyway, the only other day the class is at 5:30 is Friday. I'm fine with going on a Friday night when we're staying in, but if we plan on doing anything, I don't want to get all sweaty and gross. Monday the class starts at 4:30 and Wednesday and Thursday it starts at six, which is just too much time. #firstworldproblems

I also tried my first barre class...sort of. It was only a half hour and apparently they stopped using the barre in that class a few weeks ago (according to the regulars--the instructor was a substitute and she asked about it). It was kind of meh because it felt like something I could so easily do at home, but I also don't think I could motivate myself to do that at home for thirty minutes straight. (My yoga mat also inexplicably disappeared during the move and I don't like to do floor workouts on our dog hair carpet.) Also, I feel extremely old because I used to think plies were easy. Not just when I was doing ballet as a four-year-old with incorrect form. Even in high school. THEY ARE SO NOT EASY. I was sore the next day, so I guess 'barre' was kind of a success? But do you do planks in most barre classes? I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that.

Michael has a new schedule at work...he's stuck working until seven now. It isn't horrible, especially if I go to the gym right after work. We'll see how it feels come Friday though...working until seven on a Friday does not sound ideal.

Over the weekend, I went to Old Navy to make some returns. Pretty much every time I go to Old Navy I have to try something on. This bomber jacket is now on my wish list. Obviously I'm obsessed with olive, but I like that this is a different shade of olive. I also don't have any jackets like this. It is super lightweight and would be perfect for spring and summer. Time to wait for a sale...

We have sugar ants. It's the worst.

I'm reading Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson and I'm obsessed. I have no idea who to trust or what to think. Whenever I pick it up, I don't want to put it down. Man, I love having a library card again! I also saw that the movie is on Netflix so when I'm done reading the book, I need to watch it!

Changing your name is no picnic. The DMV and Social Security office were a walk in the park compared to some of the other hoops I've had to jump through. Even my Southwest Rapid Rewards accounts required that I scan my marriage license and ID and email it. My credit union just needed me to come in with my new drivers' license, but the credit union that Michael and I have our shared account in requires basically your first-born child. I have to send them a copy of my social security card, a copy of my new license, a copy of my old license, plus their form filled out. And I haven't even researched how to change my name on my Nordstrom/Old Navy/Target cards because that might make me hyperventilate. (Yes, I get anxiety over things that some people may think are silly.)

It kind of freaks me out how similar Tully looks to some Shiba Inus. I mean just look at this picture. (Courtesy of pupsncoffee, aka my new favorite Instagram account.)
I guess it's a good thing she looks like one, because when I licensed our dogs here in Oregon, they didn't have an 'other' option for breed (our dogs are street dogs from Thailand so they could be mixes of anything) and they didn't even have any Thai breeds. I listed Tully as a Shiba Inu and Flora as a greyhound. Close enough, right?

What's New With You

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

26 comments:

  1. Wait. They don't have an option for "other"? There are soooo many dogs that don't fall into a perfect breed category. Weird.
    How awesome would it be if we could take a personal day EVERY Friday?!
    Bomber jacket. Get it.
    I think that S.J. Watson book has been on my "to read" list for years. Why haven't I read it yet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole name change thing is no walk in the park!! I changed my information on the Nordstrom website but my card still says my maiden name...oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Changing your name is bad, real bad but changing bank account has been 10000x worse! We've been married for well over a year and a half and I still haven't completely changed either! It's so hard to find gym classes that you like! I'm the most picky about yoga and it seems like once I would find someone I really liked they stopped teaching shortly after! First world problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Before I Go To Sleep a few years ago and it's for sure in my top 5 favourite books I've ever read - SO good. I've had his newest one in my reading pile for forever, just haven't had a chance to read it yet

    I swear fitness classes are always scheduled at the worst times. The only two offered in my town are weekdays at 10 am or noon. Obviously people who actually work can't make those times happen. So annoying! And working until 7 every night?! Most days I lose all productivity by 5 haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hold on. You adopted your dogs from Thailand? Can you feel this hug I'm sending over the internet?? I just love you guys. I spent time in India and my heart SHATTERED over the hundred of thousands of homeless dogs. I wanted to bring them all home with me. (I had one that followed me to school a few times a week. I named him Cooper the Trooper. He had a bum leg and I gave him snacks at the end of our walks. I honestly still think about him a lot.) I just love that. I had no idea your dogs were from Thailand!
    Ok... that was off topic, but I'm just so full of happiness right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like the credit cards were the second easiest thing to do after my SSN card and driver's license. I had a really easy time with everything EXCEPT cox cable. They need my firstborn to change my name....ridiculous. So I never changed it, but I need to eventually since it's not my name anymore and I'd like everything to match :) Especially now that I'm getting credit card offers in my new name.

    bummer on Michael needing to stay still 7pm! When does he go into work? I thought it was bad when Kyle worked a night shift, but waiting until 7pm especially on a work night is rough. I usually pass out the moment Sophie is a sleep so I could be passing out at 9pm.

    I've realized how unflexible I am when I watch Sophie chew on her feet and it hurts for me to bend over and pick a toy up haha.

    At least you're going to the gym and working out! Props to you, that's big! don't discredit yourself :) I have a gym membership and probably haven't been for a month....throwing my money away.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont even want to click on the Old Navy link because I'm so obsessed with Olive that I'll instantly want it.... OK, I'm going to go look :)
    I've never done a barre class but still want to give it a try.
    UGH... bugs dont bother me, but ants in mass quantity? Freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay thanks for linking up with us girl!!

    i totally agree about the instructor and the class. i like doing body pump 3 times a week, monday wednesday and friday, but the mon and wed teacher .. i don't love her. she annoys me so i just do wednesday and then the next class (friday) is a fabulous teacher that i love, so it's like 50/50. i don't hate the other teacher, but she annoys me a bit so that i am over pump by thursday and then i don't want to do the good teachers class. anyway, rambling.

    i did one barre class, i think it was 45 minutes. we did not do planks. i keep meaning to do another, but they are only after work and i hate doing anything after work.

    girl. i feel you on the name change. i had to change my name in 2 countries, so fun, and so many things are still in my maiden name because it's too hard. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to take a Zumba class on Tuesday and Thursday nights because it was offered right in the gym at my job and at 5:30. It was fun doing it with some coworkers, but alas, they only offered it last winter :(

    Ugh, changing your name sounds so difficult! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right about how the Zumba instructor makes the class. When I used to go I made sure I went to one certain instructor only bc it was so much more fun than the others. Also, I didn't know that Before You Go to Sleep is on Netflix. I'm nervous to watch it though bc the book was so good! And ugh name changing was definitely not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you through the linkup! I concur, changing your name is such a hassle! My passport expires in 2017 and I've refused to get a new one yet since it's so expensive so I'm flying under my maiden name in August :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Changing your name is sooooo annoying. But keep at it because it'll all be over soon enough! The state stuff is annoying but easily laid-out. It's amazing what else there is to change in the peripheral, like your rewards card for instance. So annoying! Good job on the gym! Those right after work classes are hard to get to for sure but nice to be done so early.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Changing your name really IS such a hassle!!! And good for you with all the working out! I've never tried Zumba but it looks fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that ON jacket, it would look so cute on you! Clearly you need it! That stinks that the instructor you want doesn't work with your schedule. They really can make all the difference! Changing your name is the most hassle!!!! Why is it so hard?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so funny how some places it is so ash to change your name and some need a crazy amount of information. I would take classes but the same thing with schedules. I do not want to wait around until 7 or 7:30. I think that is why I love running so much. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like so much work to change your name! My fiance and I decided that I'm going to keep my name after we get married, and if we have kids they'll take his name. I'm thankful for that because #1 I don't like his last name and it would NOT sound good with my name..way too german haha! and #2 so much work to change it, and it's just not worth it to me! I'm getting a lot of feedback about that from some of my more traditional relatives (who are also upset that we're doing a just the two of us ceremony in belize and not a church wedding), but hey- it's the 21st century!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for Zumba! The instructor matters SO much, regardless of what class you take! That's always my biggest fear as an instructor, but I also try not to take it personally because I know how picky I am! Happy weekending to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My gym has some weird class times too. Tuesday/Thursday is really the only class I can go to where it's the most convenient. Otherwise, I'll go home & change clothes and then leave again to go to a class which can be kind of annoying, haha. You should suggest that they adjust their class times? Or add something for 5 or 5:30? I've only done barre once & it was actually tough! I think we did some ab work at the end of the class which involved planks. It was just an instructor teaching barre and not like a legit "Pure Barre" studio though so I don't know if that's normal.

    THANK YOU for the heads up on the name changing thing! I'm going to be dealing with all that here very shortly. I had no idea it was such a hassle to change your name for credit cards, bank accounts, etc. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i looked into changing my name and the process was too much for me because i'm super lazy so i kept postponing it. i told my husband that i'd get around to changing it later....that was 13 years ago LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A barre class without the bar?! I actually went to one of those semi-recently and I was not a fan... it just wasn't a real barre class! But I do like the more traditional barre classes, generally. I've always wanted to try Zumba but I'm so intimidated because I literally get laughed at when I attempt to do dance fitness classes... was it hard to pick up on the steps?! -- Lisa | Naptime Chai

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice work with the workouts!!! I haven't worked out in so long, it's so hard to be motivated after work and I have to get home to the kids! Enjoy your day off!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Changing your name is no joke, I cannot get over how hard some make it. It should be so easy. It's so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. First, that bomber jacket is amazing. I love it and want it and need it.

    I feel the same way about the gym. Prior to having children (and while I was pregnant) I had the best gym membership. I went four days a week and loved every second of it. I had a spin class I went to once or twice a week and it was with this guy, Ed. He was amazing. And you are right it is about the songs, the choreography, the exercises and the personality. And he had it all. My husband even loved the class. Well he would take breaks or vacations and I would have to go to another class. I had one other that I liked, but she wasn't as good as Ed. Good, but not the best. And the other two weren't good at all. The instructor makes the difference. Sadly, I had to change my gym membership to one next to work so I could go at lunch and it isn't the same. The "bro show" is awful there. I want my old gym back!!! Sorry to rant, haha.

    Changing your name is difficult. Way too many things to change. Credit cards, social security card, drivers license, passport, bank accounts, utilities, frequent flier miles, etc. Lots of stuff. I feel you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you like Before I Go to Sleep read SJ Watson's second book Second Life! I loved BIGTS, but I loved Second Life more!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Changing ones name can be a bloody headache, although it was over 30 years ago that I had to do it and back then not such a headache, my sister couldn't be bothered with the headache when she divorced her husband so she just kept her married name, my other sister went back to her maiden name the she re-married and since splitting from hubby number 2 she hasn't bothered to change her name back to her maiden name instead she is officially Roddom but known as Jenkins

    ReplyDelete
  26. Changing your name really stinks. There are just so many things you have to change it on!!! Seriously! Hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete