Northwest Native: Tell Us About It: Galentine's Day!

Monday, February 1, 2016

Tell Us About It: Galentine's Day!

The topic for our link-up today is actually girls' nights, chick flicks, and cocktail recipes, but since those things plus February = Galentine's Day, my post title was born! (Also I am in shock that it's February.) Link up with Julie, Katie, and me!
For me, when I think girls' nights, I think of being in high school and going to the grocery store and loading up on ridiculous amounts of junk food. Funyuns were a staple, and a few times we headed to Winco (a grocery store with an extensive bulk food section) and got chocolate-covered gummi bears in bulk. If we're eating dinner, my favorites would be pizza, Thai or Indian. Especially since you can often have those delivered!

I've watched my favorite chick flicks countless times. I'm sure I'll forget some, but these are some of my all-time favorite chick flicks (or just movies to watch on girls' night!).
27 Dresses, John Tucker Must Die, The Sweetest Thing, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Notebook, Definitely, Maybe, P.S. I Love You, The Perfect Man, Cinderella Story, 500 Days of Summer... I know there are more, but I'll admit, some of those I came up with off the top of my head, but a lot of them I just saw on my DVD rack... I'm also a huge fan of binge watching with my girl friends. Some of my favorite shows that I've binge watched with girlfriends (even if it took a few weeks) are The OC (probably my all-time favorite for girls' night binge-watching!), Life As We Know It (super old and there was only one season...but super good!), Dexter, True Blood (I don't know how far I watched on this, but I know I didn't finish it--but the seasons I watched, I loved! Would you believe my friend and I rented these at Blockbuster?! Makes me feel old), Psych, Friends, Boy Meets World (I had Friends & Boy Meets World on my computer and when I studied abroad in Australia my friends and I watched both all the way through).

My favorite drinks hands down are Moscow Mules and margaritas (classic, on the rocks, salted rim, thank you!). I'll also order a mojito every once in a while when it's on the menu. But mules and margs can easily be made at home! I don't follow recipes for these drinks, but I'll just explain a Moscow Mule (I first tried these only about a year ago and I was hooked right away!). A Moscow Mule is vodka, ginger beer (not ginger ale! ginger beer has a kick to it that ginger ale doesn't have), and lime. It's so simple to make if you just do a basic one. Just do a shot (or eyeball it!) of vodka, pour in ginger beer, and squeeze in a lime wedge! It's important to note that they taste infinitely better out of a copper mug. Last year, Michael and I both unknowingly bought each other Moscow Mule mugs and the ingredients to make mules. So we would have four copper mugs if that was that...but for some reason my Amazon order got duplicated and I got two sets of two mugs...even though I was only charged for one. Copper mugs vary in price, you can find them pretty much anywhere now!

I know this was a wordy post, sorry about that! Our next link-up will be Tuesday, March 1st and the topic is favorite winter activities and memories! Link up your girls' night/Galentines posts below!



Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

20 comments:

  1. So funny you and Michael bought each other Moscow Mule mugs and ingredients! Also, I loved Psych and miss it (though that last season wasn't very good.) Love all of your favorite chick-flicks though I have never watching The Sweetest Thing! I need to look it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea for a post :) I loved celebrating Galentine's Day in college with my roommates! My husband and I don't do much for Valentine's Day (he was in Texas last year and he'll be on the road this year, too), so maybe I'll have a night at home with some junk food and romance movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You studied abroad in Australia?! That sounds amazing! A friend and I looked into it during our last semester of College (we were both thinking of another two year program) but the cost was insannnnne

    I've only ever had a pineapple moscow mule (at the Cheesecake Factory in Vegas) but as soon as I find a restaurant that has moscow mules I'm trying one!

    I completely forgot about The Sweetest Thing and Definitely, Maybe in my post - love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about people's favorite drinks! I love Moscow Mules too and I need the copper mugs now too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!! You named some great flicks and these girls nights sound just like ones I would love!! Hope your Monday gets off to a great start!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely linking up next time! And I have only had a Moscow mule once, and it wasn't from a copper mug, maybe that was why I didn't really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it was always a fun adventure going to blockbuster with friends :) all the choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I have ever had a moscow mule but I think I should!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally meant to linkup for this but didn't get my post done in time-- love the idea though and will plan for next month hopefully :) I loooved The OC and have it on DVD, which seems so weird now to buy TV shows on DVD with netflix and amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never really celebrated a "Galentine's Day" before! It has seriously been soooo long since I've had a girls night anyway & it is well overdue! I remember doing the exact same thing as you back in the day- stock up on junk food & rent movies from Blockbuster! Moscow Mules are delicious! I'd have to say that is my favorite mixed drink since I don't think they are too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your girls nights sound almost exactly like ours! In high school our sleepovers were never complete without tons of junk food, which mostly involved making some sort of cake or cookies, and tons of chick flicks! We never tried binge watching shows, but that sounds like another fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I come to your next girl's night? The Notebook is my all-time fave movie. It never gets old. On my movie list would also be Dear John, Grease, Mean Girls, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Legally Blonde. Your TV show picks are great too. Boy Meets World is high on my list too. I've never actually seen The OC despite its popularity in middle school. I wasn't allowed to watch shows like that believe it or not! I may have to binge watch it if it comes on Netflix. I don't drink much but if I do, Mules are my fave too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen most of your chick flicks and the ones that you've listed are some of the ones I watch over and over and over again. Nothing like that on a night with popcorn!

    I'm definitely linking up for next month!

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally forgot about the link up. Ugh. I blame it on the weather and craziness that happened this morning. I love girls nights and chick flicks! And Moscow Mules are my favorite liquor/mixed drink of all time. Love them and they need to be in the copper cup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Moscow Mules are the jam and I think that's a great drink to serve on a girls' night!!! And lol and yes to the Winco bulk food bins. Soooo good for candy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those Moscow mule mugs are so cute I've been thinking about getting one for Dave.

    So many good chick flicks you mentioned! I love ten things I hate about you, 27 dresses and John tucker! Last year my friends and I used to have The OC nights and make dinner together. Was so fun to revisit those shows after so long!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhh The Sweetest Thing and 10 Things I Hate About You are seriously two of my favorites!!! My and my girlfriends would always watch those two over and over when we were hanging out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Margs and Moscow Mules are two of my favorite cocktails! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all the movies you listed! I always turn to romcoms like those to bring me out of a funk. It's funny how girls night brings you back to high school. For me, it was more of a college thing, and hanging out in each others' dorms and apartments. I distinctly remember binge-eating Oreos and watching a LOT of Gilmore Girls... and Law and Order:SVU for some reason lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never tried a Moscow Mule and let's be honest here I have no idea what one is or what it tastes like just saying

    ReplyDelete