Northwest Native: My Happy List [2.26.16]

Friday, February 26, 2016

My Happy List [2.26.16]

I've been wanting to link up with Krysten and Lindsay to share my happy list for a while now (ten things that made you happy this week, posted on Friday!) and now I'm finally getting around to it! After a rough start to the week, I wanted to focus on the good things and let everyone know that I don't hate my life, even though I was a huge complainer this week. Also, I feel like I tend to ramble in my Friday Favorites posts (like I am now...) so I thought this would help me be more brief. :)

Number One: Flora

Flora is always my favorite, even when I have to clean up her puke 473820 times in one day. I snapped this picture last week and it made me so happy. When we first got her, she used to always fall asleep cuddling with toys, but she doesn't do it as often anymore, so I loved seeing her do it again!

She wasn't herself while she was sick. I only really realized on Wednesday that how she was acting was a result of being sick. I came home for lunch on Wednesday and she seemed really sluggish, and I started to freak. But luckily, when I came home Wednesday night she was wagging and playing with Tully like her normal self.

Number Two: Tully

They just look so peaceful when they're sleeping. Tully is also always my favorite. On Thursday morning, I woke up to her just about to pee on the carpet at 5:30 (twenty minutes before my alarm) and jumped up to take them outside. Then at 7:10, five minutes before I had to leave for work, I find a pee spot on the carpet. I was so mad because really, an hour and forty minutes is waaay too short. And then I remembered that the steroid she's on (for her itchy paws and belly) makes her drink more and pee more (she wasn't on this yet on Monday when both dogs were peeing everywhere), and I felt really bad for being upset. Honestly, I'm so happy to see her not biting her back paws, it more than makes up for having to clean up after her.


Number Three: Michael

I complained about Michael not cleaning up dog pee when he was home the other day and having to clean it on my lunch break. I really shouldn't be mad at him--he was asleep on the couch with a migraine until I got home. His mistake was leaving our bedroom door open, which we usually close when we're in the living room so we can keep the dogs nearby. They pottied in the bedroom, so maybe if he hadn't left the door open I wouldn't have had to clean it up...but I'm not holding my breath. Oh, and I wouldn't have made him clean it up either way when he was miserable with a migraine.

Number Four: Healthy Fast Food

There's this fast food/sit-down restaurant hybrid in our neighborhood called Laughing Planet. Michael and I actually ate there the day we applied to live in our apartment. We've gotten it twice since moving, and the Cuban burrito is so delicious as a bowl, and is actually good for you! It has black beans, brown rice, sweet potato, plantains, pico de gallo, and chipotle BBQ sauce. The first time I got it I added chicken, but I actually like it better without. This was dinner last Friday, and I was so happy.

Number Five: Sunshine!

I'm typing this on Thursday while the sun beats down on me through the window in my office. It's supposed to be a high of 68! It's been sunny every day this week...but it starts out so cold in the mornings.


Number Six: Taking Your Advice

Everyone told me how much I deserved a glass (or bottle) of wine after the rocky start to my week. On Wednesday night after the gym, I grabbed myself a bottle of prosecco (my favorite!). We had salad for dinner, which I had been craving, and it was perfect. (Don't worry, I didn't actually drink the entire bottle.)

Number Seven: Ducks!

When our friends were in town last weekend, we took them to our apartment, and they wanted to see the ducks. We found them, and this guy just came waddling right over to us. Seriously, there is no zoom on this picture. I just crouched and snapped (which makes me think of bend and snap--anyone else?). I've never had this happen, but then again, I've never gone looking for the ducks, and usually when I walk by them I have the dogs, and the ducks definitely keep their distance from them.

I think this would be a perfect 'Stuff Michael Says' quote, but I can't hold it in. I mentioned something about the male and female ducks, and Michael said, "Wait, you can tell them apart?!" Pretty sure he's the only one in our group who didn't know the ones with the green heads (like this one) are the males. His mind was seriously blown. In his words, "I thought the brown ones [meaning the females] were just the ugly ones." Which is offensive, because I think all ducks are adorable. Ha!

Number Eight: Reading!

I've been reading like crazy lately. My book review posts don't tend to be that popular, and I think it's because I'm horrible at book reviews. I'm always like, "YAY I LOVED THIS BOOK!" and that's all. I'm not good at descriptions or comparison or analysis...so here's what I've been reading lately.
Mr. Mercedes by Steven King - My first Steven King book! In the beginning I loved it. Towards the end I felt like it was dragging on and on. Aren't his books long generally? Anyway, I gave it three stars on Goodreads, which is a big deal for me. I'm pretty sure 90% of my ratings are five stars and 9% are four stars (I'm easily impressed, apparently...and I always feel bad for the book if I rate it low--I know, I'm crazy).
Second Life by S.J. Watson - I read Before I Go To Sleep right before this, so I knew I needed to read this. I liked it, but not as much. I predicted a few of the things, and while my predictions ended up only being half right and the twist was pretty big...it didn't really blow me away. I gave this four stars and Before I Go To Sleep five stars, for reference.
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - I just started this one, but I'm loving it so far! I kind of hate the Gene character though...anyone else?
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - This became available at the library like two days after The Rosie Project...so I'm trying to read that as fast as I can so I can read both without having to re-add anything to my hold list. Everyone keeps saying how amazing this book is, and now with a movie coming out...I want to get on it!
books

Number Nine: Girl Scout Cookies

Like this one even needs an explanation.

Number Ten: Galentine's Blogger Exchange!

I gave my gift to Kim! I decided to be super sneaky and avoid the Post Office, so I sent her a smaller package directly from Target (as in, I just ordered online with my account and had it shipped to her). And then I decided to get her something from Etsy that was on her wish list... Well, it took forever for it to ship, so I'm sure she thought at first she was only getting the Target package and I felt like the worst swap co-host ever! I don't even know if her second gift will be there in time...it finally did ship, but they didn't provide a tracking number! Anyway, Kim is a lover of Full House and can't wait for Fuller House to premier and I just have to say amen to that!

I received a $25 gift card to Amazon from Kechell! Clearly she knows I look there first for pretty much everything. Any suggestions what I should use it for?!

You can link up your own posts about the Galentine's Blogger Exchange below or on Olya's blog!


Another note--this coming Tuesday, March 1st is our Tell Us About It link-up! The topic is favorite winter activities and memories. Blogger is being difficult so I couldn't include the full list of topics and dates. You can link up here, on Julie's blog, or on Katie's blog!

Lastly, I'm also linking up with AndreaErika, and Narci for Friday Favorites and Astleigh for The Pick!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

31 comments:

  1. Glad you finding things to cheer you, wine always helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, we're definitely made to be blogger friends. Prosecco is hands down my favorite drink!! I'm obsessed. Bubbly for life. Also, that burrito bowl looks amazing. I wish there was a healthy fast food near me! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you are cheering up, YAYYYY!!! the little one i take care of is a daisy scout, so there are cookies EVERYWHERE. hundreds of them. it's kinda heaven, kinda torture, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your dogs are feeling better! That food you posted looks amazing. I wish we had a healthy fast food place around here. And that is funny that he didn't know that about the ducks! Sounds like your week has ended on a good note! :) -Jessica, Sweet Little Ones

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dogs (...and husbands) are so frustrating some times but they'll always top our "Most Loved" lists!! I'm glad you indulged in that wine, girlfriend! You deserved it! I hope your weekend is stress-free and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always hard when we're having a bad week and then so much other is piled on it. I'm glad both are feeling better though! We had to give Fluffy a steriod shot when she had a major flea reaction and it was costly and it got me annoyed until I realized it was better for it. Sometimes our pets are so costly!

    The food looks delicious especially that salad. I love the fact that your apartment has ducks! How awesome is that? I would love to live there.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so giddy about Fuller House. My grandsons are coming up this weekend but if they weren't, I'd totally be binging it all!!!

    That dish look AMAZING!!!!!! I want plantains in my mexican!

    Glad your babies are doing better. I can tell on days when my fur babies just aren't feeling good. We all have our days - 2 legs or 4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting yet another awesome sauce gift exchange!

    I'm confused as to why you didn't drink the whole bottle of Prosecco the other night...? ;)

    I love that your dogs are you #1 and 2 favorite things! Lupe EASILY wins the #1 spot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found you on goodreads! I actually felt the opposite about the SJ Watson books as you. I gave Before I Go to Sleep 4 stars, and Second Life 5 stars. either way they are both some of my favorite thrillers to date. I'm glad you liked them both too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prosecco is my favorite too! So glad your pups are feeling better, they're so cute! Thanks for hosting the exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear the dogs are feeling better! I didn't know Me Before You was going to be a movie- I need to get on that! How did I not know you were on Goodreads?! Just added you. Today I shared a guide to Girl Scout cookies and wine- you're welcome :) Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad there were some bright spots in your week eventually! Writing every Friday about the good things that happened in my week has definitely become a sort of gratitude practice for me, and I hope it is a positive activity for you too! And omg that duck is so cute! I don't think I've ever been that close to a duck, haha! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got an email that my girl scout cookies are in, too. THE BEST! I will probably end up eating them all in one day. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your happiness! And I hope you get to have so much more happy this glorious weekend beautiful lady! A glass of Prosecco sounds so good right about now. Cheers to Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL at bend and snap, yes I would have thought the same thing, too :)

    Also Laughing Planet sounds delicious! I just looked at their locations but sadly, they don't appear to have any on the East coast yet. Whomp! Nothing better than healthy take out!

    Glad the pups are feeling better--it's so scary when they seem down and we don't know how to fix them.

    Also thanks for your reading suggestions.. Always looking for a good new book to read--and I enjoyed the Rosie Project very much! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wanted to read Mr. Mercedes but then I decided against it because I was worried it would be too scary/creepy... I hope you love Me Before You, that is definitely a book I wish I could read again for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tell your husband not to feel too bad...I totally didn't know the duck thing either!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of happy things. Minus the accident in the bedroom. I will have to add those books to my to read shelf! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this post! It's good to acknowledge the hard moments, but also so good to remember the things we're thankful for during hard weeks. My pup and husband are always at the top of my thankful list too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad things are looking up for you after the rough start to the week! It really does help to put everything in perspective if you can stop and take stock in the things that you do have! Love that you got an Amazon giftcard from the exchange, and I hope that we get to do another one later on in the year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to participate in this link-up. I need to start again. It's such a good exercise to focus on the little things that bring happiness. That duck photo is wonderful. I'm going to (finally) read Me Before You soon as well. Let's hope it's as good as people say.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad the end of the week was better than the beginning! Glad you got yourself some wine-you definitely deserved it! Flora & Tully are so cute. Is Flora feeling completely better now? Love that you got an Amazon gift card-so many amazing options there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay! Reading your happy list made me happy! I'm glad you got the wine you needed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey girl! Finally, you're joining us. :-)
    I had a rough middle of the week... I hear you girl. I'm drinking some vino as we speak. Happy Friday indeed.
    Flora and Tully are so sweet. Dogs can be a pain at times but they're so precious, aren't they? Life wouldn't be complete without a dog in it.
    Have a great weekend Hun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Are those some of your foster pups? Gotta give you a lot of credit for taking those babies on, it's a lot of work but so worth it I am sure! What was Flora sick with? Poor thing! :(

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sleeping puppy pictures are the best! Glad they are feeling better. :) The area outside your apartment looks so pretty. It's cool that you could get so close to the duck. I seriously laughed out loud at bend and snap! Love that movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi. I just found your blog on the Friday Happy list. Maybe I'll join in sometime. Your dogs are cute.
    http://therantingsofadramaqueensmum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Laughing Planet food looks so good. That is so cool about getting so close to the ducks. Cocoa would not be good if we got that close. I would be worried about the ducks!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Glad that you week ended up turning around (and I'm a little late to commenting so I hope that your weekend has been good as well)! And I'm glad that you got your wine, haha :). YES to sunshine! It has been soooo nice here this weekend, it's crazy! Mr Mercedes wasn't terrible but yes, certain parts were really not necessary & just seemed to make the book even longer. I thought it got a little better by the end though!

    ReplyDelete
  30. We have a Laughing Planet here in Reno and we actually had it last night for dinner. I always forget that they started in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've never heard of Laughing Planet but it looks SO good! Also, yay for ducks! And for your week getting better. This post makes me happy too!

    ReplyDelete