Northwest Native: Make My Heart Go Pitter-Patter

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Make My Heart Go Pitter-Patter

Michael and I have been eating healthy lately, but we're very into the cheat meal. If we don't have a cheat meal every once in a while, we will go crazy. A few weeks ago he randomly said, "One night after we've been eating healthy for a few more weeks we should just order a bunch of takeout right after work and just get in bed and eat it and stay there all night." And I was reminded that I married the right guy.

The key to my heart is often through my stomach. Michael is an amazing cook, and he's been cooking for me and with me since the beginning of our relationship, even when he had to do it in his campus apartment (glorified dorm) when we got to see each other on weekends during senior year. We have also always gone out to amazing restaurants. He has a knack for finding the best ones.

But food obviously isn't the most important part of a relationship, even though it's a super important part of my life.

I'm sure you've probably heard of the five love languages. They are words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch. When I first learned what they were, I immediately knew what my two love languages were. I ended up taking the quiz to find out and it just confirmed what I had already figured out for myself.

Words of affirmation are definitely essential for me. I mentioned some insecurities of mine in this post, and while I'm completely secure in my marriage, I have personal insecurities. We tell each other we love each other probably seventy-five times a day, which is great. But some of my favorite times are when he just randomly tells me I look really pretty that day. (Side note: I know in movies and on TV shows women are 'supposed to' get all mad when someone says that to them, like, 'I don't look pretty every day?!' but is anyone really like that? Because I am definitely not.) Or just any little random compliment he gives me for whatever reason. Or thanking me for washing dishes, cooking dinner, taking the dogs out. Hearing kind words is important for me to feel happy with myself, which is obviously essential to being happy in a relationship.

My second love language is hands down acts of service. We're still working on this one... Michael is kind of messy and generally doesn't do dishes or wipe down counters or put away clothes unless he's asked. So I ask. A lot. But when he does things when I ask (or even better--without me asking!) it can definitely make my day.

I would definitely say that one of Michael's love languages is physical touch. I am really not a touchy person so I just don't even think about it. A few days ago he actually implemented a hug quota--I am supposed to make sure to hug him three times a day. I have not met the goal every day. I know, it shouldn't be hard, right?! So anyway, it's hard having completely different love languages from your partner, but we are both working on it. ;)

I would say that the absolute most essential thing for me in a partner is a sense of humor. Michael definitely has that, so don't worry. You know those personality quizzes that are everywhere? I feel like at least half of them ask you what is the most important trait in a partner, and I will pick 'sense of humor' every time if it's an option. Here's an example of Michael not being able to complete a simple task without making it into a joke ("Kiss Mattie for a picture!").

Another way you can win my heart is to be this purse that showed up on my doorstep yesterday (which means it only took five days to get here, including the weekend!). I have alll the heart eyes emojis over it. I feel like it's perfect for spring, but of course I couldn't wait to carry it so I immediately transferred all of my stuff into it last night after snapping this picture!

I'm linking up with Andrea for Show & Tell Tuesday!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

23 comments:

  1. I read The Five Love Languages a long time ago and it is so good to remember how different people need different ways of being loved. I would say words of affirmation or acts of service. I love to hear I'm beautiful. Not in a self absorbed way but a feeling that my husband thinks I'm beautiful. Oh that purse!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My top is probably Acts of Service (it seems a common one in women!) but my second is probably words of affirmation. I totally expect my husband to tell me I'm pretty at least when I've made an obvious effort to dress up! So that's not just you or wrong. So glad that bag lived up to your expectations!! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute post! I love that you both think of the best ways to love each other. My language is quality time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if they're totally opposite, just knowing one another's love language is such a benefit. My husband values acts of service and I prefer quality time, but our top three match-up in different orders, so that's really nice most of the time :) (Our third one is words of affirmation. Physical touch is 4th for both of us and gifts are last.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute. Anything wrapped in a Kate Spade box would be enough for me ;) That or agree with you on food!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not even joking - my jaw dropped at this purse - it is FABBBBBBB!!!!!!

    I'm all about acts of service too - something about the action of showing you care speaks to me. I think most men are about physical touch ;) #truestory

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh, I've never heard of this 5 Love Languages thing--it sounds really interesting! OMG my bf would totally implement a hug quota and I would be all wide-eyed blushing emoji over it, haha! Like you, I'm not a touchy person at all. I guess I should investigate that site to find out what I actually am!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We read the Five Love Languages book before we got married at the recommendation of our pastor! Love the purse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the 5 love languages are so interesting. We took the quiz a few years ago & we were pretty similar. I think my top one was acts of service (but it's been awhile so I'm not 100% sure..). My fiance isn't super messy but I kind of feel like I do more of the cleaning around here. So, when he decides to do dishes or vacuum, I love it! Haha, so I totally get what you're saying. I'm not a super touchy-feely person either so that would be tough for me too!
    PS--LOVE that purse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me and my hubby also have different love languages (and kind of polar opposite). I love that we know that about each other and it really helps us do something extra special. Great post (and LOVE the bag!)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did the love languages a few years ago, but we get to do it again for wedding prep! We shocked our pastor when we said ours were the same! I think that purse makes my heart go pitter-patter also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Food is definitely a love language!! Sharing it together is wonderful and even better when someone is selfless enough to make something for someone else. It's just the best. And yes about doing household chores without being asked. It's amazing what that can do for a relationship seeing how it's a daily vested interest to keep the home nice. Can be super frustrating when you feel like you're the only one contributing. Sounds like you married the right guy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the hug quota! Hahaha. I'm not a touchy type of person either so that one makes sense to me. I had an ex who's love language was acts of service- he'd do things or buy things that needed to be done/bought instead of what I wanted. I used to get so annoyed, like, "I just want pretty things! Not practical. Pretty!" Then again, that's (part of) why he's an ex!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh hey pretty purse!
    i totally thought KC would be the physical touch, but he's actually words of affirmation. i am 100% quality time. once we both took the quiz and figured that out, it basically blew our minds. i bought the book but haven't read it yet. but it's so interesting, isn't it?!
    KC is not a cheat meal kind of guy. he's so healthy most of the time it's so annoying because sometimes i just want to eat all the food. sometimes we pig out, but it's never planned. i reckon if i planned a cheat day, i could be better the rest of the time. maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that bag!! She came out with a greenish turquoise color awhile which definitely got some good use out of me, ha! If is funny that you are your husband have different languages of love. I would say cameron and I are very similar to y'all. Cameron is definitely feels love through touch while I feel it through words of affirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband and I still haven't done the five love languages, but I definitely think that we need to. I'm pretty sure that he has to have physical touch or words of affirmation while I'm pretty sure that I'm acts of service. Your new bag is gorgeous and that's awesome that it got here faster than you expected!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw I love that you two work so hard to make each other happy!! Also, I want to stay in bed with takeout all night too hahaha. And that bag is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just did the test and for me, it was quality time - 8, acts of service - 7, physical touch - 7, words of affirmation - 6, receiving gifts - 2.

    I was surprised at that because I love saying I love you to Kyle 80 million times a day, but I have slowed down with that because it can get annoying, Kyle never acts like it doesn't.

    For me, I love touching Kyle which surprised me that it was lower than quality time. I know that quality time is important for me because of the fact that we get so little of it.

    I love a guy with a sense of humor, it's probably why I married Kyle. I bet we'd all get along if we ever met in person Michael sounds like he has Kyle's sense of humor :) And the fact that y'all always work together on being better together is wonderful :)

    And that purse is gorgeous! I'm lusting over it haha.


    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lord knows I love you and Michael, but everything I was gonna say about how adorable you two are flew out the window when I saw THAT BAG. My Kate Spade envy is on high as of late. So thanks, Mattie. Thaaaanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh you got the purse. I love it. Great purchase. And I need to look into the love languages and figure out mine and my husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I eat healthy all the time, well in my dreams I eat healthy not in real life though which is so wrong and the reason I am short and fat, ok not why I am short but fat yeah right on with the terrible diet, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahhh having a HUGE cheat night would be the way to my heart, too. Love allll the food.

    ReplyDelete