Northwest Native: Feeling Old & Nostalgic

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Feeling Old & Nostalgic

Four years ago on February 11th, I flew from Portland, to LA, to Sydney. Facebook keeps showing me pictures I posted 'on this day four years ago' and I'm in disbelief that it was that long ago. It's so bittersweet; I really miss that time in my life, but I also love my life now.

I don't know if you know this, but this is not my first blog. I had a blog while I was in Australia for my friends and family at home to read. Apparently, I was much better at being brief back then. This is the post that most often pops into my head, mainly the line, "It was probably the best Valentine's Day of my life." Is it weird if I still think that? I wasn't with Michael at the time of course, and I'm so happy with him, but I just think it was a once in a lifetime Valentine's Day, you know?

Out of every picture I've ever taken, I think this is my favorite.

------

I am finally settled in in Macquarie University housing! So much has happened in the last four days...I feel like I've been here for a month already (in a good way).

Day 1:
Arrived at the airport in Sydney after about 36 hours of travel time total (including sitting in LAX for 9 hours). It was SO hot. We went to a hostel in Sydney at The Rocks (basically it's built on top of old architectural ruins). We had lunch on the deck and then took a three-hour walking tour of the city. We had dinner at the pizza place next to our hostel, The Australian Hotel, and I ate kangaroo pizza. It actually tasted exactly like chicken. And of course, we had to end the night with clubbing.

Day 2:
We left at 8 to go hiking in the Blue Mountains. On the way there we stopped at a wildlife center and got to pet koalas, kangaroos, and wallabies. I felt a little bad about eating kangaroo the night before at that point... The Blue Mountains has the steepest railway ride in the world (52 degrees...it was terrifying) and we rode that down, then hiked back up. One portion of our walk is called the "1000 Stair Walk." Pretty intense. After that we went to an aboriginal center and saw some aboriginal dancing, painted boomerangs, and got our faces painted. The rest of the day was free, and we ate dinner and went out. It was probably the best Valentine's Day of my life.

Day 3:
We had some informational sessions, then the middle of our day was free. Most of us in the program took the ferry to Manly Beach, where a surf competition was taking place. It was gorgeous and soo nice. The water was ridiculously warm. After Manly, we had a dinner cruise, which was so much fun.

Day 4:
We left at about 9 for Macquarie, got our accommodations--I'm rooming with my friend from UPS, another girl in our program, and an Egyptian guy...we still don't know who the fifth roommate is--went shopping for the essentials, unpacked, and ate dinner. Later tonight we will go to The Ranch, which is the most popular pub in the area.

I cannot express how amazing these past few days have been...this post doesn't even begin to cover it. I love it here. Oh...and if you want to see pictures...they're all on Facebook.

------

In case you're interested, that blog is here. I'll be honest, I haven't read it in a couple years now, so I have no idea what you'll find. It may be more censored because I was posting it on Facebook for parents and former teachers and all to see, or it may be less censored because it was for people who I actually knew. Just a disclaimer.

I'm linking up with Annie and Natalie for Thoughts for Thursday and Amanda for Thinking Out Loud Thursday.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Mattie, what a cool experience that must have been. The kangaroo picture is so sweet. Australia always seems like a really cool place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i absolutely loved australia!! i know you treasure those memories just like i do. thanks for the walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isnt it cool to have a blog where you can look back & have the memories of pictures & thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pic is awesome!! And it's so cool that you had this opportunity! How incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And of course, we had to end the night with clubbing" LOL. It's amazing how much things change! That pic is so cute! Australia is on my bucket list; I've been dying to go there for years. Sounds like you had so many fun experiences while you were there, and just in those first couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture is definitely awesome! Australia is on my travel bucket list and I really hope to make it out there someday. Those memories must be priceless :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That kangaroo is channeling how I look/feel in the mornings... haha! I love going back and reading old stuff (although it often makes me smack my forehead... ha!). I kept a physical journal when I was in India and I've considered recapping things SO MANY TIMES on my blog but I just haven't done it yet... Maybe I will soon...!
    How long were you in Australia? (I know I could look... I'm just being lazy and I'm swamped at work- I was reading this during a mental break, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's so normal to feel this way and I think we all do! Life goes by so fast, I tell ya. And your blog is awesome! Gosh, I blog I had many moons ago would have been like "I LIKE BRITNEY SPEARS" [end post]. lol. And that kangaroo picture is ADORABLE. You should frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm so glad that you love it there! It's such a blessing to be somewhere that you love. Contentment is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's always Facebook to make you feel really old! Some of my memories are starting to say 8 or 9 years ago, which is really freaking me out! I love the picture that you took, that kangaroo is seriously the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaah! I love that picture. What an amazing trip! We have friends in Australia that are always asking us to come visit, but it's SO expensive for a family of four! One day when the kids are older...

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I felt a little bad about eating kangaroo the night before at that point..." LOL, I loved that! I know exactly how you feel with being nostalgic because my Europe study abroad started around this time too. I also had a blog to update family & friends (though I kinda quit halfway because we were doing so much traveling!). Such a cute kangaroo photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That picture is everything!!! I didn't know you had another blog before. Off to stalk it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How amazing that you chronicled your trip there! I have always wanted to visit Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You probably mentioned this before but did you study abroad in Australia? That's awesome that you kept a blog for your time there to look back on & read! I want to go there so bad but that fight! I don't know if I could be on a plane for that long. I think it would be worth it to see kangaroos & koalas though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uhm. Yeah. That may be my favourite picture too (if I'd have taken it). I'm glad you studied here because you know that Sydney is a fabulous wonderland :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved Australia. Such a great please. Awesome that you got to visit there. It was always on my bucketlist and thankfully work sent me there. So fun to bring up the old!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never tried kangaroo meat, Tim has and he likes it but it isn't something that I am interested in trying. Been years since I have ridden the Mainly Ferry, and I can tell you I would really like to go back to the Blue Mountains have been there in years

    ReplyDelete
  19. That On This Day Facebook feature always has me in shock at how long ago some things were, and how young I looked when I first joined Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool! My bestie friend went to Macquarie too! She studied there during her junior year, in 2010-11 I believe. She loved her time there so much, she moved there after graduation and now lives and works in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete