Northwest Native: February Budget [2016]

Monday, February 29, 2016

February Budget [2016]

Last month, I ended up with $1,576.05 in my budget amount available plus any extras including gift cards and credits from Splender/ThredUp/eBates and credit card rewards. I ended up returning two items from my Old Navy order, so that amount has increased by $24.41, bringing my spending last month down to $36.31 and my total budget remaining to start February to $1,600.46...and then I got paid $9.02 from eBates, bringing it to $1,609.48.

$1,139.28 - Annual budget remaining
$308.69 - Nordstrom gift cards
$100 - JCPenney gift card
$22.18 - Old Navy gift card
$5.90 - ThredUp
$11.40 - Splender
$9.02 - eBates
$1,609.48 - Maximum budget amount available

February 2016 Budget

Kate Spade Wellesley Small Rachelle - $398, on sale for $159

Ellen Tracy Wool Blend Stadium Coat - $198, on sale for $98.98 - paid with gift card = $0 returned
So, I bought it! I included this in a Friday Favorites post a few weeks back. I went back and forth on keeping it, and then once I settled on keeping it, I went shopping and saw all the pretty spring and summer stuff, and realized I'd rather spend my money on that, since I already bought a coat this season that I love.

Woven Hem Layered Look Sweater - $68, on sale for $16.90 - paid with gift card = $0

Deux Lux Rivington Saddle Bag - $90, Rack price $39.97 - paid $34.61 in gift cards = $5.36

Paige Jeans (similar - found mine at Nordstrom Rack) - $179, Rack price $79.90 - paid $16.10 in gift cards, my mom paid the rest = $0

Natori 'Hidden Glamour' Contour Underwire Bra - $70 - paid with gift card = $0 returned

[2] Natori 'Pure Luxe' Underwire T-Shirt Bras - $144 - $142 in gift cards = $2
I originally bought the first bra in nude and the second in black. They both fit will when I tried them on, but after wearing them more extensively, I realized the second bra was way more comfortable. I exchanged the first one for another of the second, and had to pay the extra $2 (I do have a gift card left for the return of the coat, but it was just $2, so...might as well just pay it).

I'm actually really proud of myself. If you recall, my resolution post is when I announced that I was going to have a set budget this year. I mentioned that some things wouldn't be included in the budget, like the bras, since they're necessities. I was also going to save up my Nordstrom gift cards for a $300+ bag, and while it was pretty, I decided that's not too practical for me right now, even with gift cards.

I'm glad I ended up using my gift cards on the new bras, because it would've hurt a little bit to spend $144 on them out of pocket, even if they weren't getting subtracted from my budget. I also feel like including them is much more representative of my resolution in the first place, which is 'living with less.' Not budgeting them would've meant more money in the budget to buy more stuff!

That doesn't mean that I won't choose to exclude a necessity from the budget down the road, but I'm really happy I didn't exclude it this time.

I'm also proud because last month I ended up at $36.31 after returns, and when you add that to this month's spending, it's just over $200. The budget I set is $1,200 per year, but that breaks down to $100 a month. As I've said before, I'm not restricting my monthly budget, just the total annual budget...but it's nice to know that even with fluctuating spending, I'm on track!

So, I spent $166.36 out of my budget this month, bringing my actual budget amount down to $972.92. Apparently I also spent $209.61 in Nordstrom gift cards, which would bring that amount down to $99.08 according to my calculations...but I actually should have $98.98 remaining...not sure where the math is off by $0.10.

$972.92 - Annual budget remaining
$98.98 - Nordstrom gift cards
$100 - JCPenney gift card
$22.18 - Old Navy gift card
$65 - Old Navy credit card rewards
$5.90 - ThredUp
$11.40 - Splender
$9.02 - eBates
$1,285.04 - Maximum budget amount available

As usual, I'm linking up with Franish's Budgeting Bloggers and Stephanie for Final Friday Finance!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

24 comments:

  1. That Kate Spade bag is super cute! I love the shimmery color.

    The Ellen Tracy coat was a super great value after the sale (I bought it a few weeks before it hit the $98 sale price, but Nordstrom was really good about giving me a price adjustment). Even if it was a super good value though, it's good to be able to recognize when you'd rather put your funds to something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work!I'm always impressed with the budget posts, mainly because I need to be doing a budget too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still drooling over both of your new purses. I'm so picky too so I'm giving you props that I love both of your choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything you got this month! Can you dress me?? Actually, since you said you would wear my outfit from my last OOTD post, it's clear that we need to live nearer to each other so we can swap clothes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you got some great stuff. Love your new purses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that saddle bag so much!! I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that bag, so cute!!! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ugh why do bras cost so much???? I mean it's kind of a necessity for us women, the same with sanitary products.... Men have it so easy sometimes. I just bought some bras too but they were another brand.

    I love your budget posts, you really do save some money! I wish I was as dedicated to making posts like this as you are. I don't think I purchase that much though. I think when I totaled up my clothing expenses last year it ended up being around $500 for the entire year. But I should start tracking more closely.

    I love those jeans! And it's so nice when mom pays isn't it? Well pays for some of it. Either way it's nice.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love budget posts. I think this is so good because it makes for more intentional purchases. I want to fill my closet with things that I love and make me feel good. I want to see if a pair of designer jeans would be good for me. I have heard they fit so perfect so I am going to see if I can find a good pair that make me feel good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And oh my goodness I said good way to many times, haha!!

      Delete
  10. Great job on budgeting! Also, love the purse that you did pick up. It's so hard to realize that something you really want just is not practical. I've had to learn that the hard way after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to stick to your budget for the year! I think that it's awesome that you were able to stay on track with everything, and I think that the budgeting has helped you to decide if you really wanted something or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job! I'll always read a good budget post. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. good job on getting such great deals, and using gift cards for your bras. even if they are necessities, it's nice not to have to pay out of pocket for things. that sweater is super fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's too bad about the coat. I thought you had some really great finds this month! All together it was an outfit with a couple bag options!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those purses are so cute!

    So good you could use gift cards for the bra! Even if it is a necessity, it's still no fun to have to pay with cash.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! Looks like you're sticking to your budget pretty well too. It's hard to NOT buy something that you really want when it's just not practical to have right now (I just went through this with a vest I found yesterday & I knew I wouldn't wear it now because it's getting too warm). And how nice of your mom to pay for the rest of those jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love both the purses you got & the layered sweater is super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for these! they are always so helpful, and give me shopping ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good for you for staying on track! That's super impressive! I'm sad that coat didn't work out- I think it was super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course I want those jeans and they don't have my size. Think they still have them at the rack? I might drag Julie there at lunch this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I tried to order a clean out kit from ThredUP and it never arrived and I'm so sad :(
    Great decision returning the coat for spring gear, especially since you already purchased a coat you like this year. And thank you for the numbers breakdown- I was wondering how you came up with $1200, but ~$100/month totally makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are on track and that Kate Spade bag was a steal. Love these budget breakdowns.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am still loving the idea of a yearly budget post. What a steal on your Kate Spade purse! :)

    ReplyDelete