Northwest Native: Weekend Recap: Shopping, Hiking, and Sleeping

Monday, January 11, 2016

Weekend Recap: Shopping, Hiking, and Sleeping

Before I recap our weekend, I just wanted to say that I am so honored that I won Best New Blog in Karen's Blog Awards! Thank you to everyone who reads this blog, nominated me, and voted for me! A bunch of other bloggers that I love won awards too, and I was so excited to see that! Congrats to all the nominees and all the winners!

On Friday night, we went to the mall to get out of the house and I made a few returns to Nordstrom. I looked around in JCPenney because I won a $100 gift card from Elle's blog. I saw this really cute Joe Fresh dog sweater that's not online and it immediately reminded me of Taylor's dog...and then she posted a picture wearing it on Instagram.

On Saturday we went on another hike! We had planned to do a three-mile hike, but a big portion of the trail we were planning to take was closed. We probably ended up only hiking about two miles, but we decided to walk an extra mile on this trail near our apartment. (Super embarrassing because I was still wearing my hiking boots and the 'trail' we were walking on was paved and flat and runs through parks and residential areas. Everyone we saw was probably like, "Why is this weirdo wearing hiking boots for this?") Side note: If any of you are hikers, what socks do you wear with your hiking boots? I don't have any socks specifically for hiking, so I just had to improvise and use these wool socks from Target..

I slept a lot on Saturday. I woke up at six because the dogs demanded to go outside, then I took a nap on the couch after watching some Gossip Girl waiting for Michael to wake up for the hike. After the hike...I took another nap.

We have been mindful of what we're eating, but we have to give ourselves a cheat meal about once a week, so we decided to go to Seasons and Regions Seafood and it was delicious. It was our first time at a 'nice' sit-down restaurant in our neighborhood since the move. I had the tomato bisque, cod parmesan, and I took the chocolate banana cream pie dessert to go.

We got home from dinner and...I fell asleep on the couch. Again. I woke up at nine and got ready for bed, watched an episode of Gossip Girl in bed, and...I went to sleep probably around ten. I woke up at 7:30. I worked from home two days last week...so apparently three days of going to bed around eleven and waking up at five, one night of going to bed at midnight and getting up at six, and a hike really took it out of me.

On Sunday I did some online JCPenney shopping to try to find the sweater I mentioned earlier, and when I couldn't I decided I'd just browse (that store overwhelms me...but so does the website!). I found a few things...and based on the collage, apparently I really like neutrals and stripes (both true). But two of the tops come in plum (which I would call burgundy) and I like them in that color. Does anyone know about sizing? That moto jacket (which is totally what I've been looking for--I haven't been able to find a cognac [faux] leather jacket that I like and that doesn't break the bank) only comes in a tall. I have a long torso and I'm 5'7" which definitely isn't short...so I'm hoping it would work. I'm also thinking about some of the other tops in tall so I could wear them with leggings.
JCPenney Finds

I had a spurt of motivation or energy or something and started attacking some of the clutter in our apartment on Sunday. I'm much more content sitting here and writing this right now with less clutter around me. There's still more to tackle, so hopefully I'll get more of that done after I finish this up.

I found out just Wednesday that our year-end dinner/awards ceremony in Seattle is tomorrow night, and admin employees are invited for the first time. My controller emailed me and really wanted me to go so I have to make the drive tomorrow morning, work in the Seattle office that afternoon, go to the dinner, stay in a hotel and drive back down Tuesday morning. I'm really hoping the reason they invited our department is that we reached our goal... They set out a goal for sales and if it was reached, we all get bonuses (we don't normally get bonuses). I would be happy to drive up and back in 24 hours for that!

How was your weekend?

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

25 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a super relaxing weekend! I have a love/hate relationship with naps. I love falling asleep and relaxing, but I hate waking up! (I hate waking up in the mornings, too, so it's no different.) I hope you guys reached your goal at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your award!! And hey, about the naps, like my mom always says when I tell her I took I nap " you must have needed it!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I'm so glad you won the award!!! Congrats!! I slept a lot this weekend too... like 11 hours on Saturday and then I could not my eyes open at midnight Saturday night. So more sleeping! I'm actually 80 years old. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, loving some of the JC Penney picks! I haven't been in that store in years so will have to check it out. Good luck with your potential bonus!!! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - those naps sound divine! I don't know when the last time I had a good nap was... but when you get one, it's lovely. I always love checking out your shopping picks, too. You have such great style.
    Wishing you a wonderful week!
    The Busy Brunette
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the blog win :)
    I like your socks with those boots.
    Your body must have needed all that rest. A good reboot for the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats girl! Totally well-deserved! :)

    I'm not a hiker, but there are definitely hiking socks and I love them because they have more cushion and are thicker and warmer than regular socks. Some even have an odor-block material or something as well. You can find more info here: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacking-socks.html

    I recharged over the weekend as well. The first week back to work after a break is rough! Fingers crossed your group reached the goals and you get that bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with getting a bonus! Also, you guys are going on short walks so I'm sure the socks you're wearing are probably fine, you could switch to athletic socks over the target ones. If you guys start doing long hikes you could get the smart wool hiking socks + a friction block, but hiking socks are pricey and you're probably fine with what you have (unless your feet hurt?) Btw no shame in napping so much, that's what weekends are made for

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh good luck...fingers crossed you get your bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the award! I love all the hiking y'all have been doing lately...so fun! :) Also, I really love JCPenney lately-their prices are great and the quality has been nice too! I think you would be perfectly fine with a tall! Good luck on getting the bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the award! I love your blog and obviously everyone else does too!

    Hopefully you'll get that bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could probably live with an entire wardrobe of just stripes. (I am wearing stripes right now lol.) They're just my go to. And I love your hiking outfit!! We watched Wild last night and I was telling John how hip hiking boots are now. (I think they are at least lol.) I don't think I've ever technically "hiked"...but there are mountains around here so maybe I'll need some ;) OH and CONGRATS on your blog award! Your blog is one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's hoping for that bonus!

    I'm kind of still stuck on that chocolate banana cream pie part....WHAT?! SO delicious sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the best new blog award! That hike sounds like so much fun and looks gorgeous! That's great that y'all were able to improvise when the trail was partially closed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wore smart wool socks with my hiking boots. Congrats on the new blogging award. This weekend I didn't do anything outside.,. Just laid around and updated my blog. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the blog award! That's so awesome! And I agree with some other comments, you must have needed the rest! I don't know about you but I always feel more tired in the winter too. :( I love JC Penney right now! I think Stylus clothes run kind of big.. I have one basic t-shirt that is Stylus brand and feels huge (it's a small). If that gives you an idea. Hopefully you end up getting that bonus! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay!! Congrats on the award! Hope your trip to Seattle was for some good news!! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woo hoo! Congrats on winning! The blogging company I work for picked the winners, so I had no idea! YAYYYY! I liked what you picked out from the collage. congrats on the blogaward too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for the award!! I am happy I found your blog. Naps are awesome. And it is so nice to be in a place that is so beautiful and has all the hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am absolutely freezing and I remember now that I only own two sweaters. EVERY YEAR I'm like, I'm going to totally get sweaters on clearance and be totally not freezing next year! And here we are. Even better? My winter jacket very much does not fit and I'm walking around in below zero temperatures with no jacket like a MORON.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really hope you got the bonus! I love that dog sweater. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. congrats on the award girl! and yay for hiking again. i don't hike, so no socks recommendations, but i think i have the same target socks haha.
    no idea about jc penney sizing! i have to try things on there because they have so many different brands and sizing.. good luck! i love neutrals and stripes too, who doesn't?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a great weekend, and like those before me I want to say congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aw, this makes me miss NW hikes! I love the hair and the muddy earth, so cute. Was this in Forest Park?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on your win! I was very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete