Northwest Native: The Worst Thing That Could Ever Happen

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Worst Thing That Could Ever Happen

Do you know what can ruin my day? Break my spirits? Make me simultaneously totally distraught and really really really want to throw or hit something? Scuffs, scratches, snags, and tears.

I know, I know, those things are hardly the worst thing that could ever happen, as my title suggests. So before everyone comments and says 'how dare you say that blah blah blah' please know that I am being facetious (and also super intellectual because I just used the word facetious for the first time ever). I am being serious about it upsetting me, and in some cases, putting a damper on my whole day, but I do realize that there are much worse things.

I take very good care of my clothes. I don't immediately hang up every item of clothing I have. Sometimes I just can't bear to take those thirty seconds and put something away properly. But if I'm not hanging something up, I'm surely not just throwing it on the floor to get stepped on, chewed on by dogs, or lost under the bed or in a black hole.

Last week, I was wearing my very favorite booties--that I missed out on in 2014 and had to wait a whole year to buy--when there was an uneven portion of sidewalk (right outside my apartment! that I've walked tons of times with no problem!) and it left a huge scuff mark on the left toe. I seriously wanted to cry. And find some gloves and a punching bag. And my stomach dropped.

I got to work and immediately Google'd ways to fix it. There was something on Lauren Conrad's site so I thought I struck gold. Except all of the tips were for buffing scuffs out of patent leather. Or if the boots are black, fill the scratch in with a Sharpie! My boots are not black. And I don't think they make cognac Sharpies, Lauren Conrad!

But this isn't just about the booties. Anything I own with a relatively open weave I guard with my life. My dogs like to jump on us when we get home. (I know everyone will say, "Just train them not to" so I'm going to cut you off right there--I love that they do it because it shows how excited they are...but I hate the result.) One of my dogs also likes to scratch your feet when she's excited. She once did that when I was wearing a pair of my boots for one of the very first times. After that experience, I keep my feet far from her paws when she's excited (whether they're bare--ouch--or in pretty shoes).

The other day I was wearing a shirt I love and got oil on it cooking in the kitchen (note to self: always change into pajamas or a Hazmat suit before cooking). Except maybe not just any pajamas...because I was wearing a white nightshirt I got for Christmas the other day and got dirt on the sleeves when I was wiping my dogs' muddy paws with a towel. (I'll admit, wearing brand new white anything does not go hand-in-hand with wiping muddy paws...that was totally my fault--but it doesn't make it hurt any less!)

I could go on and on. I've known a lot of people who don't treat their clothes with care. I'll look at Michael's laundry sometimes and see random stains or holes at the seams or snags and if I show him he shrugs it off.

Basically, I'm writing this to see if this happens to anyone else. I'm not asking for a psychological analysis or for you to tell me there are much more important things in life (because as I said, I know). I'm just curious.

Lastly, if you take a shoe to a shoe repair place (honestly I'm just thinking Nordstrom) can they fix a scratch on leather? I've had them replace heel taps in boots before but I don't know if they do things like scratches.

I'm linking up with Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

28 comments:

  1. i feel you on this!!!! lauren conrad's clothes are so delicate - a lot of thin knit sweaters that snag easily and stuff, and i literally want to break down and cry whenever they snag or like one of the shirts got a run in it (is that how you'd even say it? it's weird)... and i was heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soon not alone my friend. Our dog ruined my favorite pair of shoes and my husband put a hole in his new Eddie Bauer shirt while ironing it, had no even worn it!! And the list could go on and on, I even got finger nail polish on a sweater!! It's ok to be upset as when you take pride in your items and pay good money for them, well, it's only natural!!! I hope you have a great day today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are not alone! My dog very rarely chews on anything, but a couple years ago, he did grab a pair of my favorite heels that I wear to work and completely destroyed them. And I had just bought them a couple days before!! It was a sad day. I hope you're able to get them repaired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness yes!! You are not the only one. I always spill something on white for sure. And my favorites. Rodney and I laugh because I will find a hole or stain on my shirt and I have no idea how it got there and we will both say Cocoa. She sometimes runs through the house and will randomly pick up a shirt to bury her bones!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This always puts a damper on my day, too. Getting a new pair of pointy toe shoes and then hitting the pointy toe and messing it up. Or getting a spot on a shirt. I specifically don't buy things, like sweaters that can snag, because I am way to clumsy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya, Mattie - and you are not alone. Having dogs for years and now a 6 year old at home, I have to be very careful, and I've had many mishaps happen (well, they still do!). Here's hoping Nordies can help you out! I understand your frustration!!
    The Busy Brunette
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm one of those people that just shrug it off... Unless the article of clothing is A) super duper expensive or B) irreplaceable and extremely sentimental, it just doesn't bother me very much. But my brother is just like you- he ruined shoes with some cooking oil and was depressed for a week. I feel for you guys! Sorry about your boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think this is why i'm scared to have nice things--i'm kinda klutzy and i would ruin things left and right. i hope you are able to get those boots fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are definitely not alone. I try so hard to take care of my clothes but I am a klutz who spills and has 3 dogs who love nothing more than pretty much being on top of me all the time haha. Luckily I can usually get all the stains out of my clothes (btw nothing ever gets on my ratty clothes, it's always on nicer clothes of course, Murphy's law). I have a small stain on one of my booties too and it makes me so sad I could never get it out. Oh and facetious is one of my favorite words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, that's the worst!! I get the cooking stains all the time too and it's SO annoying. I also dripped grease from our prime rib onto my leather boots during the holidays. Ugh, I also need a hazmat suit or at least an apron.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can definitely relate - I get a lot of scuffs on my shoes and those sweaters with a looser/more open weave are really prone to trouble. I usually take it in stride though I do get very sad if anything is very seriously damaged.

    I actually don't know what the correct terms are for what the shoe repair places help me with, but when I take my boots in for routine heel replacement, they usually polish them (or something) nicely in a way that really minimizes the appearance of any scuffs, though that fix is not permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get super stabby when that happens! A pair of pants that I've worn ONCE have stiching coming out of them and I almost cried when I saw it. Super irrational but I can't help it! I have a pair of boots with a small scuff mark on one too and though I doubt anyone else notices it I'm super self conscious about it. So silly!

    Even though I work in my office 75% of the time I still have to be super aware of what I wear to work because expensive clothes have gotten ruined by bleach/paint, etc before. So most days I wear yoga pants and my good clothes never see the light of day hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! Those booties are so cute!! I hope Nordstrom can help you! The worst thing I can think of (in recent history) that has happened to my clothes is ketchup dripping on them. Hahaha #ketchupforpresident #Heinzonly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get like that when something snags the things I've made :) Anything else, not really. But my husband is so crazy about his clothes getting pulled, tugged, all of the above. He has a pair of pants that have those 'rips' in them - I literally just ran my finger over the frays of the pants during church. You would have thought I took scissors & cut them all in two. He FREAKED out. :) haha... everyone has their thing they worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely understand. I feel like we work hard for the money to pay for the clothes. And some of the items aren't replaceable because they are from previous seasons and no longer available. One time Mac jumped on my sweater and snagged it. I tripped going up cement steps and scuffed my beautiful leather pumps, my pretty sparkly pink sweater I wore last Thanksgiving got caught on a piece of furniture when I was walking by and ripped. So I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are SO ENTITLED to this feeling. Hey, your clothes are the result of your hard work and you have every right to be upset if they are ruined. Especially shoes. I get so mad that moment I scuff them. NOOOOOO. Ugh!~

    ReplyDelete
  17. 100% agree with you about not training your dogs to not get excited when your home. It make me so happy to see Dart bouncing around because he's basically showing both of our excitement! And it does make me upset when I get holes or whatever in my clothes. We take the bulk of my clothes to the cleaners because I don't want to chance washing my clothes and ruining them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh i feel ya girl! and i agree with you on the dog thing, the first thing i do when i go home and see my puppy (not often obviously) is encourage her to jump on me. she's getting older and its harder for her, but i love it.

    and you are totally entitled to this feeling. i get super upset when something gets ruined as well, or just when normal wear and tear drives them into the ground, you know? makes me want to buy 2 of everything i love so i always have a backup (lets not talk about what happens when i have to use the backup and there is no backup to the backup).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, man. One day, I was walking into an office building and the bottom of my shirt got caught on the door handle and tore a giant hole! What the heck??

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate that my shoes get worn out so easily! I wear them a lot, but they should last longer! I need a good shoe repair place too/ Is it expensive to have them re-soled or the heels changed out?? I know nothing about this haha...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I had some tips for getting scuffs out of leather but I have no idea! Hopefully Nordstrom can help you out or maybe some type of leather/shoe repair store! But, I totally feel ya on this -- I get nervous if I'm wearing something that was a little more expensive because I can be such a klutz! I mostly end up spilling things on myself which is why I keep a Tide pen with me at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no, that's the worst feeling ever! I hope you can get the scuff fixed. I agree with you on the dogs jumping. My dog has gotten one of her toes caught in several of my favorite sweaters before, and it's so sad because it hurts her and ruins my sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I get upset at stuff like this too. Especially when I get food on it while cooking!!! I always think "Why did I not wear my apron?!?!?!" I did find that using blue Dawn dish soap can get oil out of clothes (most of the time). So try that! I don't have any ideas for how to fix a scuff though. I'm sorry!!! I hope you figure it out. Jessica, Sweet Little Ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for linking up with us for Tuesday Talk too! :)

      Delete
  25. I can so relate to this!! I seem to immediately get grease stains on new clothing somehow, and it makes me irate! I don't have answers for you on the shoe thing, but I'm a little less picky about my shoes getting banged up. I guess I always just assume they will in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I feel the same way as you do. I get upset when my clothes snag, shoes get scuffed, the heel gets stuck in the sidewalk cracks or the clothes get a big hole in them. And it is worse when your dog does it. Breaks my heart since I worked hard to get those things and sometimes you don't get enough wear out of them. This definitely struck a chord with me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not too sure how to fix the scratch in leather but it might be less noticeable with a little leather polish. It may help fill it in at least. I take very good care of my clothes too. While mine do go on the floor as I get into bed and they are put away on the morning, I don't have to worry about dogs. I'm very cautious about leaning against things, getting out of my car, etc. Snags are SO sad! I tend to snag my earrings on knit scarves and it drives me crazy. I am very careful with where I step in shoes too. I jump over any little bit of water and I condition and clean my leather boots at the start and finish of the colder seasons. Hardly anything goes in the dryer and I try to wash things as little as possible. I'm so sorry to hear about your clothing blunders lately!

    ReplyDelete