Northwest Native: The List: Spending my 2016 Budget

Monday, January 18, 2016

The List: Spending my 2016 Budget

Since I imposed a specific budget for the year (and made it part of my 2016 resolution), I've been thinking about the things I would like to add to my closet that would be practical and a good use of my money. I don't want to buy anything that wouldn't be a good addition to my closet, even if it's just ten dollars, because of my strict budget.
2016 wish list
I've mentioned a few times that I own a lot of sweaters, and I still always gravitate towards them anyway. I have two of the roll tab sleeve tops and one of the tunics and I really love them. It's kind of hard for me to find blouses that I like and tops to wear with leggings that aren't sweaters, so I think that investing in a few of these (some solids, some patterns) would be a wise budgeting decision. I haven't tried the cuff sleeve top before, but I like flowy tops, I like the brand, and I think the white one would look great with gold jewelry, dark/black jeans, and cognac booties. I know I've mentioned this bag before, but I feel like I have to explain. I like to buy tops and sweaters from the juniors section at Nordstrom or from Target or Old Navy, and they're pretty reasonably priced. In 2015, I bought my first two Kate Spade bags (during major sales). I carried the first bag for about four months until I bought the second one, which I have been carrying since September. With cheaper handbags, I either get sick of them quickly and have to rotate them pretty often (or after I get tired of them I never end up using them later) or they fall apart. I still love both of my Kate Spade bags, and I definitely will go back to the first one I bought in summer when the color is appropriate. Basically, I think it's a better use of my money to buy fewer more expensive bags than to just buy a cute bag I like because it's only $25 and then see another in a month and do the same thing again and again. I also am going to consider a pair of designer denim. I've had luck with the fit of Paige jeans in the past, and I was in Nordstrom Rack recently and they had some nice pairs for $80-$90. I'm not going to buy any new jeans (at any price point) until I get myself into a steady workout routine though--I want to make sure my budget money is spent on jeans that are a great fit (and stay that way).

What are you hoping to add to your closet in 2016?

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

19 comments:

  1. A purse is a good investment. I would love a nice new purse and have my eye on one. And I am doing to same thing. Adding things that I LOVE and need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I l-o-v-e Paige jeans! And for that price at Nordstrom Rack?! yes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love those flowy shirts and tunics!! I would wear those to work everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try Paige jeans, I've heard so many wonderful things about them! I love that person on your list as well! I hope you end up with every single one of these beautiful! Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with buying things that are practical & not just because they are cheap. As much as I love the cheap stuff, sometimes they just don't last very long. All of these are great items, especially that purse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you~ I'm trying to spend way less this year and I've already managed to cut my clothes spending a lot since being conscience of it. And so right for practicality vs. cheap. It makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of those tops are great for jeans or leggings. I'm thinking of adding some of those to my wardrobe. My usual go to is a dress with a cardigan. But it'd be nice to switch up some things.

    liz @ j for joiner

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on such a spending budget with my dental bills costing me $4000 but I want so many things. its going to be a test of will power, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really liking that tribal print! I bought my first Kate Spade bag with a coupon last year and I absolutely LOVE it!

    <3 Have Ashley, Will Travel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whenever I think about a specific clothing item I'd like to own (cough*black riding boots*cough) it takes me FOREVER to find the right pair/shirt/pants. Honestly, I'm such a horrible, impatient shopper! Good for you and your tactical planning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I 100% agree with you about buying more expensive handbags instead of cheap ones. I also find that not only do they last longer, but I tend to take better care of my bags if they're designer and a little bit more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel the same way about expensive handbags! I have actually never bought one because my sweet mother-in-law has given me several for Christmas over the years (and this year my Mama surprised me with a Kate Spade!), but I love rotating them throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree with you about buying fewer more expensive bags that will last longer and that i genuinely like more. in high school and even in college i was all about quantity of clothes, as i get older i realize quality is much more the way to go for me personally. so often i would buy something because "it's only $____". it was such an easy way to kiss away money i'd rather use somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your selections, especially that satchel! I've only just recently gotten into more expensive handbags (thanks to hubby!), but I definitely see the appeal. This year I'd like to pick up some long term pieces - cognac boots, a hip length wool coat and possibly a small cross body.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too have been focusing on just adding pieces that I will actually wear and be useful in my wardrobe to cut down on spending. I love the tops that you chose and that purse is super cute! I wear a lot of sweaters as well. They just make things easier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That bag...no words! So gorgeous! I love this resolution! It's so smart and while I'm not sure it would work for me while I'm pregnant, I do need a stricter clothing buget for myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh I totally need to get a Kate Spade bag!! What a great resolution for the year too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I only buy designer bags now for the same reason - they last much longer because they are good quality. I rotate out through the seasons but right now I don't have a good one for Spring - I'm on the lookout though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think those are all wonderful picks. I especially love the bag!

    Tif
    www.brightonabudget.com

    ReplyDelete