Northwest Native: Multnomah Falls Hike

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Multnomah Falls Hike

On New Years Day, Michael and I drove about forty-five minutes to check out Multnomah Falls, which is a very popular photo op and hiking destination in Oregon. It was in the low thirties, but we braved the temps anyway.

We started at the bottom of the falls, then made our way to the bridge pictured above.

This small waterfall between the bottom of the falls and the bridge was mostly frozen over.

Watching the water was so cool. It was all water at the top, but by the time it reached the bottom it had frozen--it looked like snow. Not sure if you can tell from the picture or not.

Just some random pictures.

Look at that coating of ice on the fence and branches. This was right by the bride viewpoint. The mist from the waterfall was freezing on everything around it. The path up the trail from this point was covered in ice from the mist too. Walking up was so scary. But we headed up--it was a mile from the bridge to the top of the falls.

Just some random pictures from the hike up.

At the top! This was just a smaller waterfall that fed into the big waterfall you can see from above.

Here's a view from the top. You can see how windy it is by the whitecaps on the river.

There were two long stretches on the trail that were straight up ice. We powered through them going up (and by that I mean Michael finished and waited like three minutes for me to finish each one). The ice was seriously a quarter inch to an inch thick. The platform at the top of the falls was coated too, but since it was flat and not on a slope I took a picture to try and capture how much ice there was.

On our way back down, Michael asked if I wanted to hike any more or just head straight down. I hesitated, but semi-reluctantly agreed to go on down this snowy offshoot of the trail, just to the point where I took these pictures from...and I slipped and fell. I immediately started crying and complaining that I had wanted to hike back down like a three-year-old. Hahaha. But I took these pictures and we turned around to head back down the trail.

The hike down was horrible! Those icy patches I mentioned? When we were going up, no one, ourselves included, was falling down. On the way down, it must've warmed up a bit, because pretty much every single person, going up or down, fell at some point. On the first icy stretch I seriously just sat down and slid because there was no way I wouldn't fall if I tried to stand and walk down.

It was a great start to 2016, and we decided we're going to become true Oregonians and make hiking a thing we do. I have a nice pair of hiking boots that my father bought me a few years ago (tags still on!). He is outdoorsy and has tried multiple times to get me on board...but it just never worked. Now I finally have a use for those boots.

Linking up with Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

27 comments:

  1. what a breathtaking view!! wow! a nice tradition to kick off the new year. i am horrible at walking around icy, snowing things, but it would be worth it to see the icy branches--so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely looks like a refreshing way to start the new year! So beautiful. Glad you didn't get too hurt walking down!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I'm sorry you fell! I would've cried, too. I cry out of frustration, haha. Those pictures are great- I'm so intrigued by the rain-to-snow waterfall! I don't think I could EVER get my husband to hike on ice in 30 degree temperatures, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so beautiful! What a great way to start off the new year. (except for falling... I probably would have cried too lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for braving the ice so we could enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a disaster for me - me & ice? We're mortal enemies

    ReplyDelete
  8. how beautiful! I love me a good waterfall, and kudos to you for trekking there in the winter. I'm not sure if i would be that brave. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a beautiful area! The ice makes it look pretty & I imagine it's really nice during the summer too! That sucks about all the icy paths though. I would have slid down on my butt too, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness Mattie that sight is beautiful!! But boo to you falling :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow the views there are amazing. You live in a beautiful place. I'm sorry you fell. Please please wear hiking boots if you do something like this again. They will give you more traction. Hopefully the views hiking up were better then the ones hiking down because its beautiful there. pretty good way to start out the year

    ReplyDelete
  12. Slipping on ice is no joke! Talk about painful! This is part of the reason we haven't hiked since the first snow--I'm worried about slipping! The pictures are beautiful though. I hope you're able to explore more once all the snow and ice melts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The falls are just beautiful!!!! That stinks about the ice though! Worth it for the pics? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always wanted to see these falls! They look so beautiful, especially in the winter! :) Slipping on ice hurts so much-I actually fell this weekend in someone's driveway because I couldn't see a huge patch of ice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful hike. I want to go more places around us instead of always running the same routes. There are so many beautiful places to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that's so pretty! How lucky are you to have such views nearby :) I hope you don't have any battle wounds haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful pictures you took! I've hiked up to the bridge at Multnomah in the snow but was too scared to continue the steep hike to the top! Sorry you fell, good thing you didn't break anything!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl gorgeous hike! But golly gosh I would die hiking. I live in such a flat place that we have no mountains. I would love to hike one day, but not in the winter. Is it safe to be hiking with tennis shoes and snow? So unfamiliar with hiking and snow.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  19. These pictures are GORGEOUS! Props for you guys braving the ice...I would have say no way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw I love Multnomah! It's such a 'touristy' hike, but who cares! I took Ry here for his birthday because he'd never been and when his friends visit from Hawaii he wants to take them. Also, not ashamed to admit that when we hiked this we made it like 3/4 of the way up and quit. We were short on time, but also lazy. And I feel like ice would've made me ten million times less motivated haha

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my goodness, gorgeous photos! but totally scary haha. i would have fallen on the way up and the way down! i would have been with you with the crying ;) but seriously, what a fun time and a great way to start the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these falls. I used to hike there every summer since my grandmother lived near Portland. I loved it and have some very similar photos. Thanks for sharing and making me remember my times there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. There's nothing like Multnomah Falls in the winter. It's so stunningly gorgeous. good on you for starting the year with that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hiking down does not sound like fun and has never gone particularly well for me.

    That is absolutely gorgeous. Where I live, it gets cold but we don't really get snow or ice, so we don't have the pretty photo ops like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love multnomah falls so pretty! It's cool to see it frozen. Scary about the hike going down. Katie and I tried to hike in the snow and it was so slippery and made me so nervous!

    ReplyDelete