Northwest Native: January Budget [2016]

Thursday, January 28, 2016

January Budget [2016]

It's the first budget post of 2016! I mentioned this before in my 2016 resolution post, but last year when I started this blog, I started posting my shopping budget monthly. I didn't have a set amount for a clothing budget at that point, because I had never tracked it, so I didn't even know what range it should be in. After reviewing my 2015 posts, I settled on $1,200 over the year for my 2016 budget. I'm going to go with the annual budget rather than quarterly or monthly, because maybe one month out of the year I spend $300 and three months out of the year I spend nothing. It just makes the most sense in my mind to do it this way. Any money I make via eBates, Splender, and ThredUp will be added to my budget. Purchases made with gift cards also will not count toward the $1,200 total.

I thought I'd start the post by laying out what I have right now in terms of my $1,200 budget, gift cards, and any eBates/Splender/ThredUp money.

$1,200 - Annual budget
$308.69 - Nordstrom gift cards
$100 - JCPenney gift card (this may be spent on something other than clothes for me; if I end up using it for something else that will be reflected in a later budget post)
$22.18 - Old Navy gift card
$20 - Old Navy credit card rewards
$5.90 - ThredUp
$1,656.77 - Maximum budget amount available

january 2016 budget
Mesh Panel Compression Leggings // $32.94 - 30% off = $23.06

High-Rise Patterned Compression Leggings // $34.94 - 30% off = $24.46
Go-Warm High-Rise Compression Leggings // $32.94, on sale for $26 - 30% off = $18.20
So clearly I went on a leggings binge! I absolutely love Old Navy's compression leggings. I have a pair of cropped ones and I wanted some full-length leggings to workout and hike in (my Zella leggings are reserved for everyday wear). I've never tried their high-rise leggings, but I think I'll like it. I'm not a low-rise kind of girl. I am, however, hoping to return at least one pair if not two--three pairs seems kind of excessive. I was going to wait until February to place an Old Navy order because I have $5 super cash for then, but I couldn't pass up 18% cash back through eBates!

Loose-Fit X Back Tank // $16.94, on sale for $7
I don't have many workout tops and this one was cheap, a tank, and had a fun back, so I grabbed it. If it's just 'meh' I won't be too upset about returning it.

Sleeveless Turtleneck Sweater Dress // $48, on sale for $28.80 returning

Stripe Ribbed Body-Con Dress // $48, on sale for $28.80 returning
I found both of the above dresses about a week ago and loved the look of them. I'd love to wear the first one with my cognac booties. The second one has a cutout in the back that is really fun--but I wouldn't be able to wear it to work without wearing something over it, and I'm not sure if I have anything that works. We'll see if I even like them in person! I will definitely be returning at least one of these because while they're not the exact same, they're too similar for me to have both in my closet. I didn't expect to receive these before this post went up! I wasn't a fan of the turtleneck dress. I feel like it wasn't flattering on my stomach, the lining was way shorter than the overlay and it felt awkward, plus it just seems too wintery and I'm ready for warmer weather. I absolutely loved the look of the striped dress, and I would keep it if I could wear it to work. I just know I wouldn't wear it enough on weekends to justify it. If the back wasn't open (which is, ironically, the thing that drew me to it in the first place) I would absolutely be keeping it.

Ruched Cami Sports Bra // $14.94, on sale for $8
The sports bra was a great deal and I just need to get rid of some of my old ones. A perk of being a member of the IBTC (see this post by Dani for an explanation if you're confused) is that I can wear light support sports bras.

Portland Trailblazers Hoodie // $53.39 - paid with gift card = $0
I didn't include this in the collage because I figured most of you aren't Blazers fans, but they do have other teams. I've wanted this for a while and it retails for $65, so when I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and saw that this was cheaper on Amazon, I jumped on it. (I didn't include my Amazon gift card in my budget calculation above because I don't normally buy clothing from Amazon.)

Adidas Diablo Small Duffel // $17.99 + $5.95 shipping - paid with gift card = $0
I pretty much do everything in my power not to pay shipping...but most other duffel bags with Prime shipping started at $25, so it was cheaper anyway. I don't know if I would've included this in my budget had I not used a gift card since it's a necessity. I may or may not have. Anyway, it sounds like a pretty small bag, but from the reviews it should be sufficient for gym clothes and shoes. Also it is adorable! I know it's just a gym bag, but you know what Marie Kondo says (I haven't read the book, but I've read it on a ton of blogs)...it should spark joy. And navy blue with mint green polka dots definitely sparks joy for me!

I used my $20 Old Navy credit card rewards (and somehow totally forgot to use my gift card...) so my grand total this month before any returns comes to $118.32. After the return of the two dresses, my total is $60.72. That brings my annual budget amount remaining to $1,139.28.

I also just found this beautiful rose gold Kate Spade bag on crazy sale...so don't be surprised if I jump on that before the month is over and it shows up in my budget next month. If I have to return everything but one pair of leggings (and my Amazon purchases since I used a gift card) to get this purse I would. (I was eyeballing this gold one, and it's the same shape, plus I think the rose gold is more unique--not to mention $140 cheaper!) [Edit: I'm just going to admit that after I found this bag on Wednesday I couldn't stop thinking about it and knew I'd regret it if it sold out so I ordered it. But I'm too lazy to update the post so it'll be included in February's budget.]

$1,139.28 - Annual budget remaining
$308.69 - Nordstrom gift cards
$100 - JCPenney gift card
$22.18 - Old Navy gift card
$0 - Old Navy credit card rewards
$5.90 - ThredUp
$1,576.05 - Maximum budget amount available

As usual, I'm linking up with Franish's Budgeting Bloggers! I'm also linking up with Stephanie for Final Friday Finance and Astleigh for The Pick!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

26 comments:

  1. that kate spade purse is SO FREAKING CUTE!!!
    this whole idea is just amazing and fascinating to me and if i ever get out of debt i'm 100% going to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really awesome. I don't spend a lot on clothes, but maybe I can set something like this up for other areas like home decor...haha. Good plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good at sticking to the budget, you find some really good deals! And that purse is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job girl! i started tracking my budgeting a year or so ago and including the prices but then i got ashamed haha so i stopped, i think i am going to start including prices again, i don't have a set annual or monthly budget right now, i just try and keep it much lower than i used to spend. sucks about the dresses, but you got some great deals elsewhere! i'm the same with you with shipping, i avoid it at all costs but sometimes it works out better to just pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mesh leggings are AWESOME. My husband and I are going to get gym memberships and start going together before work... so once we start doing that I'm going to reward with myself with new workout leggings and shirts :D I love how organized you are with your shopping budget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Kate Spade bag is all the heart eye emojis <3 <3 <3 I've never tried Old Navy's leggings. I've tried Gap's and they kept falling down on me but maybe ON will be a win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to keep yourself accountable! I really need to do this. I do so many "Old Navy" sprees thinking "oh it's cheap" but then I'm sure it adds up to a lot over the course of a year. I've been loving Forever21's $3 leggings lately!! You can't beat the price, and even though I'm too old for that store, I feel like leggings are OK to buy there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Kate Spade purse is the same shape as that one. LOVE that its crossbody but it doesn't hold a lot so right now with going back and forth between two jobs I had to switch to my Michael Kors jet set tote to have more room. Its perfect for shopping though!!

    I so wish there was a Nordstroms anywhere close to me! I need to set a budget for myself for clothing/accesories for the last half of the year. The first half is paying off debts/saving so there won't be much room for shopping unfortunately :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so obsessed with those compression pants from Old Navy - I have like 4 pairs & almost just bought another pair this week!!! Cant get enough

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw those dresses and first thing I thought was you need to have no shoulders to wear them. Guess the fit in real life is as awkward as the photo suggests

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bag is definitely worth the splurge!! I love the Old Navy compression leggings too - I can't believe I missed out on 18 percent cash back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, you mapped out that budget really well!! Good job. And the compression leggings from Old Navy are so surprisingly good! I love mine and they're so affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some great deals this month! I love how you're showing exactly where your funds are going and how everything is being used!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're being very good about tracking your budget in a detailed way, which is great! I haven't been adding my Ebates and Thredup payouts to mine for now. Looks like you got a lot of activewear this month. I'm a big believer in Old Navy and Forever 21 activewear. It holds up just as well as the occasional more expensive Nike or Adidas-ish piece I've occasionally bought at Nordstrom Rack.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Kate spade bag is amazing! Love love love that turquoise color!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes to the Kate Spade bag!! So pretty. I love this because I think it really makes us think before purchasing something. Like do I really love it and will wear it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you set one budget for the whole year so you can be flexible! I have a few coach purses that I want to sell, can you sell things like that on thread up? I love that rose gold Kate Spade purse!!! It is so pretty! I need to get some sports bras. I am the opposite of you and Dani in that category haha. I need something crazy supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have definitely been struggling with leggings too, now that it's cold and I'm going to yoga more (and so need legit work-out type leggings). Totally just added those mesh-panel ones to my ongoing Old Navy cart! They are so cute! Once they go on sale, I'm pouncing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have me wanting that rose gold purse. Gorgeous. I love these budget posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the idea of a budget for the year! Can't wait to see it in action :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeeeeah you needed that Kate Spade bag!! I love, love, love Old Navy's active wear - especially their compression leggings! I think I got that same purple tank, but the maternity fit, and I agree it's just...meh. Not super flattering but fine for the 3 more months I'll have to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that Kate Spade purse! I would done the exact same thing as you with getting it now before it sold out (and then regretting it later!). I've seen mesh leggings like those at Forever 21 & really thought about getting a pair! I just can't do Old Navy's compression leggings... they just fit me really weird. I'm kind of bummed that I missed the 18% ebates memo though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to ask, is this month's shopping part of a new year's resolution? Your purchases all seem very... healthy. Lol. That's a lot of stuff for fairly minimal money though, so nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, well, starting to work out again wasn't a resolution of mine, but I've been meaning to get back into working out regularly since we moved here...I just put it off for over two months. I also wanted long leggings for hiking. (And I'm hoping to keep only one or two of the leggings!) The workout top and sports bra were kind of impulse purchases, but I don't have many workout tops and my sports bras are all old-ish. And the gym bag I had to buy because for the first time I have to actually go to a gym that isn't a short walk away in my apartment complex or on my college campus!

      Delete
  24. I don't have a clothes budget but instead I am always checking out the clearance racks when I shop, in fact I bought a pair of lovely light weight long pants for my mum for her birthday today

    ReplyDelete
  25. 3 pairs of leggings is a lot but if you wear them for working out, you'll probably need a few. I keep my Zella leggings for everyday wear too. They're just too nice to get gross and need to be washed more often. I want those things to last for years!

    ReplyDelete