Northwest Native: Blogging in a Winter Wonderland!

Monday, January 4, 2016

Blogging in a Winter Wonderland!

Yes, I know Christmas is over for most of you (we're celebrating with my family over MLK weekend) but really, Winter Wonderland is a winter song...does it even mention Christmas? The answer is no. I'll get to the post title later, though.

The only time I ever feel like a real adult is when I bust out this cheese board. But then in the same weekend I took my laundry to my parents' and fell down and cried...so...not quite an adult yet.

We both fell asleep before midnight because Michael picked up Ant Man at Redbox and it was just horrible. Luckily that was only temporary and once the movie was done we stayed awake until 2016 arrived. You know how they say how you spend New Year's is how your year will go? Well, wearing pajamas, hanging out with my husband and dogs, eating charcuterie and drinking my favorite prosecco sounds like a pretty fantastic year to me.

We hiked Multnomah Falls on Friday (post on that tomorrow) and stopped at Shirley's Tippy Canoe on the way back. I got the Reuben which was gigantic and probably one of the top five sandwiches I've ever eaten. I brought at least half of it home as leftovers and while the container was balancing precariously on my arm...my dog knocked it off and all over the carpet. #blessed

Michael discovered this restaurant while watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives videos on places in our area. We saw the owner who was in the videos and I was starstruck. Ha!

After our adventure, we went down to my parents' to hang out, go out to dinner, and spend the night. I always love the Christmas tree there. It's definitely what I aspire to.

Michael and I had Dutch Bros for the first time. (Okay, I've had it once but it was years ago and I hardly remember it.) Dutch Bros is the largest privately owned drive-through coffee chain and people in Oregon (and now SW Washington) are obsessed with it. Their medium is twenty-four ounces and two of them cost $7.50 so that was pretty insane.

We donated some stuff to Goodwill and Michael suggested we go in and look around. We found a Threshold by Target chair with the tags still on it for one third of the price, but I thought Michael wouldn't want it because it was armless and not a big cushy chair. (We've been looking around for a chair for the living room.) So we drove back to my parents' and then somehow the chair came up and we had a, "I thought YOU didn't want it" moment so we went back for it. We had to leave it at my parents' and we'll have to take two cars down on MLK weekend so we can bring it back, but I'm so happy we a) got a chair b) spent only $60 on it and c) didn't have to use a big chunk of wedding gift cards on it like we thought we would!

On Saturday night we had planned to go ice skating since it was our date for November...but at the last minute we realized it was outdoor. We went anyway, but got there and were so freezing that we thought we'd stay for like fifteen minutes and it'd be a waste. So...we saw Star Wars. Again. Definitely not what I would choose, but our January date card was a date of Michael's choice, since it's his birthday month. #thethingswedoforlove

Since I first saw these boots the other day, I haven't been able to get them out of my head. It didn't help that of the three sizes available, mine was one of them. I was torn because I really wanted to use my Nordstrom gift cards for a nice purse, but I figured the boots my MIL bought me cost more than these, and she kind of expected I would buy other boots (even though these aren't similar at all)...plus, I may receive them and they don't fit or I don't like them, and I'll have that gift card money back. I was going to ask for everyone's opinion today, but the half-yearly sale ended yesterday, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

On Sunday, we woke up to this. Hence the post title. It snowed a little bit last weekend but didn't stick, but Saturday night/Sunday morning it was triumphant. I had big plans of going to Nordstrom to make a return and maybe doing some browsing at JCPenney since I won a gift card in a giveaway...but I wasn't upset that my shopping trip got snowed in. I know some of you get snow all winter so you hate it...but we don't even get it every year so when it happens it's really exciting.

The water features around our apartment community are mostly frozen over. Not sure if you can tell, but two of those three ducks are sleeping (their heads are tucked) in the last little bit of water.

P.S. When I said I took laundry to my parents', I mean I did it. I promise I don't make my mom do my laundry still. But our new apartment has shared laundry and I'm just not a huge fan of that situation so I avoid it at all costs.

How was your New Year's weekend?

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

23 comments:

  1. i love the idea of still having christmas!! my decorations are still up as i speak! i'm jealous of the snow! i wish we had just a little. y'all have been busy and knocking out some things in the new year! i need to do another goodwill donation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think scooping up those boots was a really good decision! They are ADORABLE!! I'm so jealous of your snow!! We have usually gotten some by this time in Southern Indiana and nada :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time!!!! I want one of those coffees!!!! And nice work on your chair find - I love that you both realized you wanted it and went back for it. We got a lot of snow here too but it doesn't seem like it stuck ... which I'm actually glad about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome to just wake up to the a winter wonderland one day! We really don't see much snow in Houston, and I would love to see some, especially around the holidays. There really isn't anything better than charcuterie night with your husband! If I could, I think that I would eat charcuterie all day everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't had Christmas with my husband's family yet either, my surgery has slowed everything down this year but I love that we still have all of our decorations and tree up! If I have to lay on the couch all day I wana look at a pretty tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your #blessed hashtag in relation to the sandwich fail has me cracking up :) Ohio FINALLY has some snow on the ground today- first time all year for me!! I'm so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chair find from Goodwill is amazing!! So glad you went back for it! I love trying Triple D places in real life, too - they're always sooo good. That Reuben looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you...nothing makes me feel like a grown up quite like making up a charcuterie platter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cheese tray looks simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldnt care for shared laundry either...
    My hubs just watched Antman & liked it - but I dont think its in him to ever say anything bad about a superhero movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. bahahaha at doing your own laundry. i got ya! how cute are those ducks? we haven't seen ant man, not gonna lie, the trailer didn't look the best. your new years looked super fun, i wouldn't mind if my 2016 looked like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had the first snowflakes of the season today! That cheese plate looks so grownup! :) & 48oz of coffee for $7.50? Geez, maybe they'll open a store in NC ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cheese board looks delicious! Meats and cheeses are my favorite food groups haha. I could eat them ANYTIME. You know in Sweden, all kinds of cheeses and meats are served at breakfast. That's my kind of place. Also, laughed about taking your laundry to mom's and falling down. Haha! (hope you didn't hurt yourself)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cheeseboards. They do make you feel like an adult.

    We have a Dutch Bros in Carson and Reno (Nevada) and I love them!

    So glad you had an easy New Years (just like us).

    Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always want to visit somewhere on Diner Drive Ins and Dives. Those boots are nice. I want a pair like that because I know I would wear them all the time. It is super cold here today. Like 10. Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for snow! For some reason I always assumed you guys always got a lot of snow, I guess because you seem so far north. I love Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and actually have the app on my phone lol. That meal looks delish! And YAY for the couch find! Boots seem to be the bane of your existence this year- I hope these fit and are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice score on the chair! Love the cheeseboard pic. Nothing better than a little wine and cheese. Definitely sounds like a great year ahead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Uh, SCORE on the chair! ALso, really shocking to me that you've had Dutch once... since literally everyone with hands totes around two of these at a time everywhere you go, I swear. And your laundry comments made me laugh. Proud of you for doing it yourself! :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the cheeseboard...I'd feel like an adult with that too! It's so nice, was it a wedding gift?

    Your NYE sounds as calm as ours was. We just spent time at home and kicked back eating Chinese food. Did the dog get to eat the sandwich? Can't waste it haha.

    I can't believe how cheap that coffee I need that. Love that chair! And what a steal too! I like the boots did you get to wear them? I see pictures of snow but not with you and your boots

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your meat/cheese plate looks SO good. I can eat that stuff all day, everyday! Sounds like a great weekend. I am wishing we would have some snow soon, but it doesn't look like that is in the forecast for us anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It amazes me that you guys don't get any/much snow?! I will send you some of ours because it doesn't want to melt at all! Our NYE was spent doing the same thing haha, pajamas and movies! And I love those boots! I hope they work out for you. I've seen them around here and they look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok after all that talk about the chair, I'd expect to see a picture!! Please post once you pick it up. You've got me curious haha. Goodwill is the best for home decor. That's how we've decorated/furnished our whole place! Nothing is very cohesive but since we haven't settled yet, it doesn't matter. Hopefully we'll be in a longer-term place soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah it's good when we find a bargain like the chair, my Christmas decorations come down on the first of January

    ReplyDelete