Northwest Native: Bookworm Wednesday [December 2015]

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Bookworm Wednesday [December 2015]

So I was just sitting at work minding my own business yesterday afternoon when I heard something. It sounded like something fell from the ceiling. Turns out, it was a spider and it narrowly missed landing right on top of me. Do you recall my moth story? Yeah, I don't think I had a single problem with bugs in the Seattle office...but now they're everywhere and they're out to get me.

In good non-bug-related news, Michael got a job yesterday! He was messaging me at work and he was so discouraged and said he'd never find a job. And then later that day out of the blue he goes, "So I got a job." Woohoo! Now I don't have to worry that buying Christmas presents for our families will leave us homeless or scavenging for food.

Now, on to what I've been reading! I'm linking up with Katie and Molly for Bookworm Wednesday! (It's the first Wednesday of every month, if you needed a reminder!)





The Matchmaker by Elin Hilderbrand
This was my first ever Hilderbrand book! Can you believe it? Everyone is always talking about her so I finally just checked out the library because all the books I had requested had lots of holds on them. This one was available so I snatched it! It was good, kind of predictable. It wasn't my favorite book ever but it did keep my attention and I enjoyed it. And now I already forgot a certain detail about it and need to Google it or something to remember before it drives me crazy!







The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
I am so glad I read this! It really freaked me out though. This was written in the 80s and it's a sort of futuristic tale. Basically they took away pretty much everyone's rights...but especially women's rights. There was a religious war and one religion created this new oppressive society. Well with all of this religious extremism going on (it isn't only Muslims, you guys--no, I am not trying to start some debate and yes I very much believe in religious freedom...but extremists in any religion are scary) it didn't seem like a complete impossibility. I'm not saying that tomorrow we'll all be living like this, but it's worrisome that I could see this being a thing in the future if some crazy religious wars break out.





The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty
This is my fourth Moriarty book! This one I think might be my second favorite. I feel like I need to read What Alice Forgot (which currently holds the title of favorite) again because I can't remember all of it. I thought it was kind of all over the place. Tons of details that either weren't necessary in the end or ended up somehow actually being sort of important to the story. It sounds like a bad thing, but I liked that about it. It kept me guessing. And it was like 78392 story lines (okay, not that many) in one. I don't feel like I'm describing it right but whatever, I enjoyed it!





Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

19 comments:

  1. I love this series because I get crazy with my books. I love reading and want to make sure I get the right book. It sounds funny but I can't not finish so what if I start and its not what I thought. Weird or normal :). I read Big Little Lies and liked it and now I'm reading Lunch in Paris. I think that's the name. It's ok so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elin Hilderbrand is one of my favorite authors. Don't give up on her just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just got Big Little Lies from the library yesterday! which is the only Moriarty book I have left to read, so far i'd agree that What Alice Forgot is my favorite. I liked the Hypnotist's Love Story, but parts of it were very random and weird to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Elin's books. I'm going to Nantucket this weekend and I'm hoping I run into her. Her books are all great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never realized that's the same author that wrote What Alice Forgot...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! Since Liane Moriarty and Elin Hilderbrand are constantly talked about I put them on my Christmas list as well. Predictable books are no fun so I don't know about that...but i'll give them a try! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, The Handmaid's Tale! One of my friend's did her MA thesis on Atwood... and I still haven't read anything by her, haha. I feel like I'm incapable of reading fiction these days, but I also need a break from self-help... Know any good biographies/memoirs?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking at reading The Handmaid's Tale... you have me even more intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm The Handmaid's Tale sounds really interesting. I actually started Hypnotist's Love Story on Monday and am liking it so far!!! It is my 4th of hers as well. What Alice Forgot has been my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read Elin Hilderbrand but everyone raves about it so I guess I should get one that! And I need more Liane Moriarty in my life- I only read Big, Little Lies but I loved it. What Alice Forgot and The Husband's Secret are on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on Michael getting a job! That's definitely a huge relief before the Christmas! Hopefully the bugs won't bother you now that it's getting colder but I would have freaked if a spider fell on me! I enjoy your book reviews because I get some new ideas! I picked up a book you talked about last month and still need to start reading it. I'll have to check into Liane Moriarty too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what Alice forgot is such a great book, I really enjoyed it. I'll put this LM book on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Hypnotist's Love Story is actually one of her books that I haven't read yet. I need to read it! Especially if it's your second fav after What Alice Forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I have read every book Elin read. If I missed one, it's because I can't find it. She is a good writer. I read What Alice Forgot and equally good. From the Bookworm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for Michael's job!! I'm actually staring at The Matchmaker on my nightstand right now because I can't get into it...like you said, good but kind of predictable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man, that spider story is exactly the nightmare that occurs on a monthly basis for me! So scary! Yay for Michael getting a job! That must feel amazing, and just in time for the holidays too! The Handmaid's Tale sounds quite frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats to Michael on the new job! What a huge relief!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am currently reading what alice forgot and am loving it. might check out that hypnotist one next. i felt the same way about the handmaid's tale!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have read all of Liane Moriarty books and loved them all. She's such a great author!

    Amy @ http://befilledwithj0y.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete