Northwest Native: Weekend Recap: Ducks & Moving Trucks

Monday, November 16, 2015

Weekend Recap: Ducks & Moving Trucks

First of all, thanks to everyone who has signed up for the Blogger Christmas Cheer Exchange that Olya and I are hosting! This wasn't mentioned in my original post, but it IS open to Canada as well as the US!

We're in our new place in Portland! We aren't fully unpacked, but it is so much bigger and the layout is so much better...and it's still waaaay cheaper than our place in Seattle was! The dogs are also loving how much room they have to explore outside. Luckily, the ducks in the duck pond are actually pretty intimidating (they quack like crazy at the dogs every time they go by) so I don't think we'll have problems with the dogs chasing them. They're normally reeeally into chasing all birds...but I think these ducks can hold their own.

Moving is obviously a chore, I don't have to tell anyone that. And I know I was feeling sad about leaving Seattle (it's still weird to think that we aren't there anymore) but now that we're here the sadness of leaving is mostly replaced by the excitement of the new beginning.

I got to drive a 16-foot moving truck from Seattle to Portland on the freeway in a downpour. We had reserved a 12-foot truck, but wanted to pick it up early, and when we got their the 12-foot truck wasn't ready, so he gave us the 16-footer for the same price. I did fine, minus the four times I drove over the curb when turning right and also the time when I was trying to park it at the new apartment where I *may* have backed it into a tree... Luckily there was no damage to the tree or the truck.

Also, I am ashamed to admit this, but...I lost my Fitbit. Yes, the new one. At least I have the old one somewhere (if you recall, I lost it, bought a new one, and then found the old one in my laundry basket recently). Well...I lost the new one while we were moving things. I think the mattress or box spring, since my wrist was pressed up against them while carrying them inside. We had to do all of our moving in in the dark (thanks, Daylight Savings!) but I tried looking around with a flashlight and didn't see it. I was hoping I lost it somewhere inside the apartment and would find it during unpacking. Then I took the dogs out and found this.
Womp, womp. I'm sorry that you got ran over, Fitbit. R.I.P. :(

But it's okay, because our new apartment is four minutes from a Fred Meyer (which is a superstore like Target or Wal Mart--it's a PNW chain), four minutes from a Safeway, and there's one other grocery store even closer, but I think it's a fancy expensive one that we probably won't frequent. Also we live insanely close to a Burgerville which I realize probably means nothing to most of you...but it's an amazing PNW fast food restaurant that uses local ingredients and they make the most amazing milkshakes. And we got Portland Cider and Portland chocolate so life is good.
Cider, sleeping pup, and a husband showing some thigh.

Today I'm going to attempt to change my name! I'm actually super nervous that I won't be able to. I have crazy anxiety about it. I'm going to the Social Security office first...but I don't even know if I have mail addressed to me here. I should probably go check that. After that, I'll go to the DMV to get an Oregon license with my new name on it! But...I only got one copy of our marriage license. So if the Social Security office takes it...I'm screwed. Also, there's still the whole mail issue. So maybe I won't be going to change my name. I took the day off work to do it, so I really hope I can. Someone tell me it's going to be okay because I'm so nervous! I get anxiety about the weirdest stuff, I'm telling you.

Hope everyone had a great weekend that didn't include backing a moving truck into a tree and having your Fitbit run over, but maybe included chocolate or a delicious milkshake!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

25 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear moving went well-- and totally impressed you drove such a huge truck! And sooo sad about your fitbit, hopefully you can at least still use your old one since you found it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. bummer about the fitbit again! I'm sure that's expensive to keep replacing, but at least you're moved into a new place. And good luck changing your name! I found it easy for me, but I was also in the same state I was when I got married. So it may be different across state lines, but I'm sure it will be great :)

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely impressed that you drove that moving truck. If I drive my Dad's duely truck I feel like I'm driving a bus and taking over the entire road and I hate it and only do it when absolutely possible so I can't even imagine driving a huge moving truck on the freeway!

    Good luck on changing your name! My sister in law had hers changed within a week after her wedding (she had to get it done asap for work) but its still SO weird to see her name with the same last name as me haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been researching FitBits and I have to ask, do they fall off often? I've been operating under the assumption that they're pretty secure once they're clipped on. If I end up spending the money I don't want to be nervous about it falling off and losing it because I know I wouldn't replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad it went well!! And good luck with the name change!!!! Hope all goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that moving went well. Best of luck with the name change, I know it's not the easiest thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to hear that moving went well! It can be so exciting starting in a new place...especially once you are actually there and starting! Good luck with your changing your name...it really can be such a hassle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless your heart - so many big changes.
    Yes - its totally ok to have anxiety over any & all of the new changes happening.
    I have been married for 20 years & went to the bank last week & they said, "we have you down as (maid name)"... what??!?! & its not like I havent been to the bank in 20 years... dont stress. Just know you're married & you'll run into issues with the name thing for ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea how the name change process goes, but I would totally be anxious over it too, so best of luck with that! Also, I love that the Universe gave you back your original Fitbit right before you lost the new one. It's like it KNEW. CRAZY. And lastly, it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out what "PNW" meant, haha! #eastcoast

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many fun things going on. I'm sure everything will go good today. Keep smiling and maybe treat yourself to a fun thing after you are all done. How exciting to change your name :) Make it a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, my coworker just got married and she said the name change process is crazy and takes forever. Not trying to get you down! Hahaha good luck with that!! Also excited that you're all settled in, that's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay glad moving went okay! And you go girl about driving that truck! I would CRY lol. So funny story, when I went to SS office to change my name, they asked me like 5 Questions and I couldn't look at my phone or anything, and they asked me what city I was born in...and I answered what I had thought my whole life, and she was like "nope wrong answer, we're going to need your birth certificate." And I had no idea where mine was. So I had to call my parents and have them dig around to see if they had it, and they didn't do I had to order a new one from the hospital which was a pain in the butt. But, the next time I went back everything was good and they got it changed for me that day. So just FYI be prepared!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am crazy impressed with you driving a 16 foot truck! I would be a nervous wreck doing that!!! So sorry to hear about your fitbit. Boo!!! Changing your name is such a hassle, but I cant imagine doing it right after a move too. Added stress! Best wishes on that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry about your fitbit, but yay for being in Oregon and yessssss to Burgerville. My mom is weirdly obsessed with Burgerville and since there isn't one where she lives she always always stops by the one here when she visits. Their berry milkshake is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im sad you lost your fitbit!! Iknow what it feels like, I have no idea where half of my things are after our move. Glad everything went well and I give you major props for driving that huge truck!!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've missed so much being gone a week! You're moved and a fun Christmas exchange, woo! Well, a) congrats on this new chapter and b) Already signed up for the Christmas exchange ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha I get anxiety about those types of things too! Mainly going to a new place and interacting with people... I'm glad the move went well and you're liking Portland so far!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad that the move went well! I commend you for driving the moving truck too! I'm not sure I could drive a big truck if my life depended on it so I think you did way better than I ever would. But, I'm glad that you are enjoying Portland so far! I've heard good & bad stories about the name changing thing. People make it sound like it's super easy around here but then I've heard that it can be a crazy process! So, hopefully you were able to get it done today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ian introduced me to Burgerville when we went to Vancouver, WA and it's THE best! I'm so jealous that you live so close to one! Glad you guys are getting settled!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, there's so much to do in Portland! And you're still in the PNW. I'm sure it's gonna be a blast. A blast without sales tax, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh, I hope the name change went well! That must be so stressful, especially directly after moving in! I'm so happy that you found so much stuff near to your new place- sounds like you're already starting to settle in nicely. Also, sorry about your FitBit, but hey- good hing you found the older one while packing!! Silver lining, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad to hear that moving went well, and that you are excited about being there! So sorry about your FitBit, but thankfully you had just found your old one! :) Hope your name change went well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you made it safely to Portland! Sounds like our trip up here with all the rain. Good luck with the name change! hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awhhh poor fitbit!!! Is it under warranty at all? Maybe if you throw in a wink the sales guy will exchange it for you haha :) That is SO nice rent is cheaper and the place is bigger, so awesome and exciting for you guys!! Changing your name isn't as bad as you might think! It is like one day of driving a few places and then it's over and you have your new last name. I changed mine asap, too, just to get the new last name flowing and so legal stuff wouldn't get weird, like taxes for instance! haha good luck and welcome to your new home!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is awesome the ducks can hold their own against your dogs- haha! :) Congrats on moving to a new place! That has to be exciting and it will just get better as you get settled in. I'm new here so congrats on getting married. Your blog is so cute!!

    -Andrea
    Pics O Andrea

    ReplyDelete