Northwest Native: Tell Us About It: Favorite Thanksgiving Traditions

Monday, November 2, 2015

Tell Us About It: Favorite Thanksgiving Traditions

Julie and I are back with our monthly Tell Us About It link-up! This post is going to be a bit wordy because I have exactly zero Thanksgiving photos (well, I have some from last year when Michael held his cousin's baby for the first time which are adorable, but I'm not comfortable sharing photos of the babe without permission from her momma...and my blog is secret so no way am I asking!).

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: I'm not a big fan of Thanksgiving. I think being thankful for what you have is extremely important, so it's great that Thanksgiving is a reminder of that (though I generally reflect on things like that more often than once a year!). But...I don't like turkey (except on sandwiches), which is the main part of the meal in our household.

Another reason I'm not a huge fan of the holiday is I tend to be left out. My brothers are eight years and five years older than me, my stepsister is nine or ten years older. Everyone else that generally comes over is even older than them. My siblings have always tended to gravitate towards each other and the older people, but since I'm so much younger, I don't really have anyone to hang out with. Thankfully now Michael and I switch off holidays so he's there with me, but still, my siblings are all doing whatever (often watching movies that don't sound great or playing war board games) and my mom is cooking all day, so we hide out, just waiting. Hence the lack of photos.

That being said, there are some things I love about the holiday...even if some of the traditions aren't tradition anymore.

Flooring When I was little, I would pretty much only eat the rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, and the fruit salad with Cool Whip and marshmallows my mom used to make. (She stopped making that after my grandma passed away--it was my grandma's favorite and it was mine when I was little, but I outgrew it eventually.)

My oldest brother is a different story. He would eat plate after plate, and he eats everything, so obviously he would eat way more than I would, and more substance. We made up 'flooring' which is just laying on the floor after you eat a massive Thanksgiving dinner, so really, we just made up the word 'flooring,' obviously not the act itself. We would have 'eating contests' and his plates would be full and mine would be like two things and I'd say we ate the same number of plates or I ate more plates so I won. And then we would floor. One year after we ate an equal number of plates (I was probably like eight or nine) he was painfully full and moaning about it and I said, "I'M STILL PERKY!" Everyone cracked up and he still brings it up alllll the time. Flooring hasn't been a tradition for a few years, but it was fun when I was little!

Thankfulness As I said in the beginning of the post, I think it's a good reminder to be thankful for what you have. But I don't think it's the only time you should reflect on that!

FOOD I mentioned I'm not a fan of turkey, but I love mashed potatoes, stuffing, and rolls. We also usually have cinnamon rolls or something in the morning for breakfast, and appetizers like cheese, crackers, meat, salmon dip, and pickled green beans before the actual meal.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Obviously also food, but this is on its own level. I only have this at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I used to not like pumpkin pie, so my mom made pumpkin cheesecake. There's also always pecan pie but I hate everything about pecan pie. I despise pecans and I tried the filling once too and it just tasted like straight up sugar. Coming from someone who usually doesn't think anything is too sweet...pecan pie is too sweet. The past couple years my mom has made a new kind of pumpkin cheesecake--it has chocolate cookie crust and salted caramel sauce on top and it is amazing.

Mimosas Mimosas became a tradition every holiday morning some time in the past few years. I don't really remember my family doing it before I could partake (my family let me have a mimosa on holidays before I turned 21 since I was just at home with family and wouldn't be going anywhere--I was probably 19 or 20 when this tradition started).

What are your favorite Thanksgiving traditions? Grab our graphic, link back to one or both of us, and tell us about it! If you missed the link-up today, it'll be open through Friday! Or you can get in on the action on December 1st when we share our favorite holiday traditions!


Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

17 comments:

  1. Um, why are mimosas not part of my Thanksgiving? Changing that this year.

    Also, turkey is disgusting!! And so are most of the traditional casseroles. And Thanksgiving, ugh. I'd be okay skipping it...shhh, I'm a super grateful/thankful person. I promise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get it girl, but I am a very grateful person but Thanksgiving is one of my least favorite holidays! Shh, don't tell anyone but I could sure use a piece of pumpkin cheesecake right now, ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah!! The "flooring" thing is hilarious. And me too on the turkey!!! I've been trying to get rid of it from our celebration the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I'm sorry to hear about you feeling left out at Thanksgiving :( That is definitely no fun. My siblings and I all vary greatly in age too--two stepbrothers in their late 30s and my younger brother is 18. Most of my cousins are all my brothers' ages so they mainly hang out while I spend the day with a cousin a year younger than me and my younger brother. I haven't been home for Thanksgiving since I left for college but it's the same at Christmas. I'm glad you have your husband with you to keep you company! Mimosas sound like a wonderful way to start the day! Mashed potatoes and stuffing are my fave too. I could eat those all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of thanksgiving either but I do love the tradition of watching the Macy's Day parade on TV while knitting :) apparently I'm 95 years old

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that thanksgiving food sounds so good right about now! And your mom sounds like a baking master. Love that your fam still brings up you saying I'm still perky! Yay for another link up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Thanksgiving because it gives me a reason to pig out. But I'm an only child so I never really had any other family around except my parents so we didn't have too many traditions. The flooring thing is pretty funny! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your mimosa tradition! I have a small family, it was just my sister and I growing up. Both my parents were only children, so we have no aunts/uncles or cousins so when we went to eat Thanksgiving dinner with my grandma, it was just us and her. So I could understand how it would be not as fun if you didn't have people you could hang out with there.

    I love Thanksgiving because of the food and because every year my mom and I sit down with all the ads and plan out our Black Friday shopping! I hate over the years that it keeps creeping more and more on to actual Thanksgiving. I refuse to go shopping and miss dinner. My mom and I start at about 10pm Thursday night and stay out all night shopping until well in to the next afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe, I love the flooring. I'm not huge on turkey either, but I do love honey baked ham instead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love mashed potatoes and gravy. I would eat that all day if I could. I love the flooring. it's sad that your age difference between your siblings made you feel left out. While I don't have any siblings, I was certainly the youngest in my family for awhile.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make turkey and green beans and potatoes and that is it :) We watch football and will take Cocoa to the park if it isn't snowing too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can completely understand feeling left out during holidays. My family has since stopped celebrating holidays together but when I was younger, my stepsister would always want to hang out with the adults & I'd be stuck by myself! And it didn't help that I don't have any cousins on my mom's side of the family. I've kind of adopted my fiance's family as my own since they celebrate everything. The flooring thing is hilarious! I can totally see people just laying on the floor after eating. That's pretty much what I do, haha. And I love the mimosa tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  13. my mom's family is italian, so thanksgiving is turkey AND pasta. it is ridiculous how much food there is. i always dread it because i have to eat at my mom's and then at my paternal grandmother's. but i do love turkey, for about the first day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sides are definitely my favorite, too! I do like the turkey, but let's be real, I am there for everything else. That pumpkin cheesecake sounds SO good. Oh my goodness. Would your mom be willing to share the recipe?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mashed potatoes, stuffing, and rolls are my favorite as well! I could do without the Turkey and not even really miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. flooring - hahaha. love it!
    i feel you on thanksgiving... but for different reasons. i'm not american, so i feel so out of place, and my in-laws take it super seriously. they get offended when i don't eat all the food (blegh) or when i'm not as excited as they are. oh well lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. So, thanks to you, mimosas are going to be happening at my Thanksgiving this year. I don't love thanksgiving but I like it. It bothers me that people aren't more thankful year round. And I have issues with the holidays in general since my mom passed but it is my mission to make this year's holidays the best since 2008 :D

    ReplyDelete