Northwest Native: Creamy Pumpkin & Italian Sausage Soup

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Creamy Pumpkin & Italian Sausage Soup

This is totally out of the ordinary for me. I am not a recipe person, and neither is Michael. (Except for baking--I've always known this but Michael learned the hard way that baking is actually a lot of chemistry and you can't just make stuff up as you go unless you know what you're doing.) Michael is like a chef. He will have an idea for a dish, and he can just start out with the base and just taste along the way to see what it's lacking. For me, I'm just too lazy to use recipes. They usually call for more ingredients than I like to use, and there's all these steps...I usually cook boring stuff so I don't need a recipe.

Michael made this creamy pumpkin Italian sausage soup the first time for my birthday in 2013. I requested the exact same meal (which included a delicious pasta he made too) last year. He then made the soup for our Friendsgiving celebration last year and it was a hit. Around Thanksgiving last year, Michael made the soup and pasta meal of my birthdays for his parents and grandparents, and everyone loved it. His grandma asked him to send the recipe, so Michael had to actually figure out how to write it down as a recipe, instead of just throwing everything together. I made the soup on Sunday, so I'm glad he had this recipe for me to follow. (I may have overcooked the Italian sausage by breaking it up into too small of pieces...oops! But it's still delicious!)

I didn't really think about blogging this until I had started making it, so I didn't take a picture of all of my ingredients together. I took a few pictures of the process though.


Ingredients
1 package mild Italian sausage (19 ounces)
1 white onion
1/2 cup chopped leek
2 handfuls sage (chopped or ripped into small pieces)
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree
32 ounces chicken broth
1 cup cream or half and half

First, chop the onion and leek. (Michael told me to use the stalk of the leek towards the bottom, as opposed to the leafy part. There are some outer layers that are papery, and I tried to remove those as I chopped.)
I cried so much chopping this dang onion. Then I cried through the leek too because the bowl of onion was still sitting there.

Then, brown your sausage in a large pot over medium heat. We use avocado oil for all of our cooking, so that's what I used. I always eyeball oil, I don't measure. Our pot was not nonstick though, so some sausage was sticking to the bottom and I had to put a little bit of the chicken broth in at that point to stop the sticking.
I used Johnsonville sweet Italian sausage. I do not like handling raw meat, so having to get the sausage out of the casing was so gross...but the end product was worth it.

When sausage is fully cooked, add onions and leek and cook until the onions are translucent.

Next, add the sage and cook another 3-4 minutes.
I took a picture at this stage for some reason. I made the sage pieces a little bigger than I should have. But see, that's why I don't cook complex meals that need recipes. ;)

Add canned pumpkin puree and chicken broth. Lower heat to low-medium. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. I let the soup simmer for longer than 10-15 minutes because we weren't ready to eat yet. I also forgot salt and pepper until later, but I did do it eventually. ;)
I used Safeway brand chicken broth and Libby's canned pumpkin.

To avoid curdling of the cream, heat cream in a small saucepan. Ladle a small amount of soup into the warm cream. Add mixture back into the soup and stir.
We used half and half in an attempt to make it a tiny bit lighter. Not that it makes that big of a difference.

And there you have it!


I'm linking up with Mary for Delicious Dish Tuesday and Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk!

What are your favorite soup recipes? We've made this one from Kaitlin's blog and it was delicious, and it's perfect because it's gluten free for Michael!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

12 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds super good!! You had me a sausage! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this because I have almost everything to make it! woo hoo!! it has been so cold and rainy here in atlanta (not our usual weather, so not used to it) so this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of pumpkin but this has me salivating! I LOVE the Pioneer Woman's Potato Soup and Chicken Tortilla soups - they're my go to's on a chilly day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many ingredients and lots of steps :). Yes!! This is so funny because it is exactly what I think when I see a recipe but I was thinking of making chicken noodle soup because it sounded like I could do it, lol. This one sounds really good with the pumpkin and its going to be cold and rainy so maybe dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh that looks so good and I LOVE anything you can sneak pumpkin into this time of year. And thanks for the little shout out!! I do love that cauliflower soup too ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo!! Italian sausage and pumpkin...I am soooo in!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks good! Does it really taste like pumpkin? I would have never thought of pairing it with Italian sausage & veggies. I can see how this would be something easy to bring to a party or holiday event! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a meat person but the idea of pumpkin in soup intrigues me - I'll have to look on Pinterest for vegetarian ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fun and festive!!! Plus I bet the sausage added a little kick to it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha i am the same way with cooking.. i throw everything in, and go by taste. i suck at following recipes. which is why i am a horrible baker, like you said - you can't do that with baking! this looks delish though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about you and Michael come over for thanksgiving this year and cook some of this yummy soup for us :)

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make the most boring meals. This sounds so good and not that hard!! I hate long ingredient lists ha!

    ReplyDelete