Northwest Native: Coat Hunting Season

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Coat Hunting Season

It seems like every year I need a new coat. I just sent a few to ThredUp that no longer fit and I also have a few more from years past that fit okay but I don't have the heart to get rid of. I scoured the Internet for good coat options, but I'm overwhelmed! I'm thinking I want something wool or wool-blend, but I found a few trenches and one quilted jacket. All of my options are around $100 or less, and I'm so torn! I still have some money left on a gift card to Old Navy, some left on a gift card to Nordstrom, and I got an email that I won a $100 gift card to JcPenney from Elle's blog, but haven't received it yet. But then there's H&M and Target...
You can't really go wrong with a classic pea coat, and I'm a huge fan of olive and burgundy, plus black is classic. They're also currently on sale for $38, which is $20 less than Old Navy's. This quilted coat is fun, but I think if I were getting a puffy coat, I'd want a hood. I like fun patterns on coats. I'm not sure if this wrap coat is practical or not. Do wrap coats work as a regular warm coat? Or are they just a fashion statement? This red and black plaid coat is by Coffee Shop...and I realized while writing this post that Target also carries Coffee Shop coats, but at a slightly lower price point. For example, this one is $82 and later in the post I showcase a wrap coat by Coffee Shop from Target in a very similar print for $70. I do like that this one has a hood, though! The trenches are classy, but I currently have a black trench-style rain jacket. It's waaay too big now...the sleeves are so long I look like a little girl wearing her dad's clothes. But I think I want a warm wool coat and also a trench coat...but the trench would need to be waterproof with a hood.
Like I said, I'm a fan of the pea coat. The Nordstrom one above is on sale for cheaper than this one from Old Navy, but I haven't picked yet so that sale may be over before I make my selection. I love navy as a neutral, and I think these two plaid options are fun and stylish.
I love stripes, I love navy, and I love emerald green, so this striped coat is right up my alley (and reminds me of Blair Waldorf...anyone?). I love that option two is neutral but has details like tweed and color-blocking. Option three is navy, which I love, and I also love asymmetrical zippers (as you will see below...) and that the hardware appears to be gold instead of silver or brass.
Oh, H&M. You got me with your asymmetrical zippers and jewel tones. I love the purple-y color of the first coat, but I love the black version because of the faux leather collar. I think the color of option three is gorgeous and again, gold hardware (and another coat that reminds me of Blair Waldorf--can you tell I'm currently binge watching Gossip Girl?).
One - Two - Three - Four - Five
Another basic pea coat. It's about the same price point as Old Navy's. I included this wrap coat because it's another fun pattern in a wrap coat as compared to the Steve Madden one from Nordstrom, but it's much easier on the wallet. I love the pattern of this black and white coat (another Coffee Shop brand with a pretty much exact copy at Nordstrom...) but the rating on Target's website is one star...then I click on reviews and there's nothing there! Option four is the Coffee Shop coat that's very similar to the one I included from Nordstrom. Option five is super similar to option four, but it's wool-blend as opposed to faux wool and it's cheaper.

So help me out! I've owned coats from Target and Nordstrom, but not from the other stores. I can look at online reviews, but not all of them have much feedback.

Have you had good/bad experiences with coats from any of these stores? What do you think about patterned vs. solid? What about wrap coats, yes or no? Wool vs. wool blend vs. faux wool?

Linking up with Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk and Astleigh for The Pick!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

19 comments:

  1. So many good options! I've wanted a burgundy coat or jacket this year and think I might give that first one you posted a try- you can't beat the price! I'll be honest, I've also had Blair's coats on my mind as we go into winter, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some fabulous options here, lady! Love all the plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many fun ones! I got a new "warm" one during the Nordstrom sale this summer, but am really liking some of your H&M options ... may have to get another!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gotten a few coats from Old Navy - I just hate it because all the ones I've gotten aren't very thick or warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of wrap coats in general because they just don't seem warm enough- and they can unwrap! I have a few wool blend ones from Old Navy that have gotten the job done nicely and are quite durable. Great options- good luck picking one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the navy belted coat with the asymmetric zipper! That's my pick for you, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh i love the ones from H&M! super cute. i always 'need' a new coat each year as well lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You picked some super cute coats!! I am a sucker for the classic pea coat. I feel like when you chose a coat, you want it to be warm and of good quality. So I would take that in consideration. Some of the ones I have tried on at ON, H&M, etc didn't feel super thick or warm. But its been a few years, things could have changed. I really love that first one from Nordstrom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm CaLea. Just from your little intro-thing on the side of your blog I can tell we'd get along. I, too, married my best friend. And I too have a major weakness for mexican food! So I just thought I'd say hello since I stopped by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Out of all these, I love the plaid belted coat from Target (and Norstrom). My mom got that same pea coat from Old Navy last year around this time & it was on major sale! I think $20 maybe?! So it might go on sale again if you hold out for it, haha. Not sure if you're a fan of Gordmans but I've gotten a few coats from there & really like them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been looking for a good coat too. I like the pea coats but it has to be long enough. But not too long. And I am not super tall :) I like the burgundy one in the first picture best!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first JC Penney one is the closest that I have for comparision and I love it. I hate coat shopping it's one of the hardest things to do because you want one for warmth and comfort, but you don't want to look like you're wearing a 6000 layers either in one coat.

    I also love pockets in my jackets, so I would go for one with pockets :)
    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Okay, thank you for letting me in on all the secret cute coats because I hate winter. But at least if I look good, I feel a little better about the freezing cold weather :)

    Also, I found your blog because you commented on CaLea's blog. I had to laugh because I got married August 29th of this year and although I have my bridals back, I haven't seen a single picture from my wedding day and the videographer was supposed to get my video to me on Friday, but hasn't yet. It's driving me crazy! I just hope they are all beautiful and perfect like I'm picturing them so that the wait is worth it.

    xoxo,
    Kayla @ watsonwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love number 3 from Nordstrom! I think I am going to go tomorrow morning to get a scarf and a coat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coats make me happy. It reminds me of cozy weather and being warm. Ahh now I need hot chocolate. I allllways get my coats from Old Navy. They rock!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You have so many great options! I have a coat from Target that I think is wool-blend & I love it, but it's not "keep you toasty" on a -4 degree kind of coat. I did receive a gorgeous camel colored peacoat from LL bean that keeps me extra warm and has held up for three years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness - so many options!! The first Nordstrom Peacoat is my favorite - classic and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not super useful because I've never been real coat shopping haha if you wear a big coat in AZ, you look like a weirdo because it doesn't really get lower than 50! But if I were a coat shopping person I would have to say I like the JC Penny set best! PLUS if you won a gift card (LUCKY!!) That makes shopping even easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't own a coat, I do have a couple of light weight jackets but don't live in an area where coats are really needed

    ReplyDelete