Northwest Native: Bookworm Wednesday [November 2015]

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Bookworm Wednesday [November 2015]

Another month, another Bookworm Wednesday link-up with Katie and Molly! I read some more great ones since last month's post. I'd recommend all of them!




I've been wanting to read this for a long time. It was different than I thought it would be, but not in a bad way. I guess I didn't know what to expect. I was excited that it was set in Seattle and they kept mentioning all sorts of Seattle places, but I was sad that Bernadette absolutely hates Seattle. Though that didn't ruin the book for me! I liked Bernadette a lot--she was unintentionally funny because she always speaks her mind (and her thoughts are hardly politically correct). I'd say this is worth a read!




Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
I pretty much read this every free moment I had for two days until I finished it. I don't know why, but it just sucked me in and I constantly wanted to continue reading. I knew what the book was about before starting it, and I think a lot of people might, so I was surprised to be so into it. I guess the timeline of the book is why I liked it so much. Since I knew what the book was about, I thought it'd be mentioned right away, but it was drawn out. And then once we got there, I was hooked already.




Love Anthony by Lisa Genova
Yes, I loved the other two Lisa Genova books that I read (Still Alice & Left Neglected) so much that I had to read this one too. I found it to be much different than her other books, though. This reminded me of a Liane Moriarty or Jodi Picoult book because it was from two point of views. It was one of those where the two women didn't know each other but eventually their paths crossed. You know the type. I personally like those books, and I like Moriarty, Picoult, and Genova so I loved it! It was sweet at times and heart-wrenching at others.





Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
I juuust finished this one yesterday morning! I loved it. I realize that doesn't mean much because I say that about every book I read lately. Oops. Anyway, this story is about an old woman with Alzheimer's who is insistent that her friend Elizabeth is missing. But her present story kind of fades in and out and overlaps with a story from when she was a girl. So you're left wondering what's really happening and what's not. I thought that was really interesting and kept me coming back for more.
Now go link up a book-related post, or at least go see what everyone else is reading! I know I want to find some new recommendations to put on hold at the library!
Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

20 comments:

  1. glad you got around to Bernadette - she's someone I want to meet in real life :) Yes, I pretend my fictional charters in books are real haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soooo want to read...Bernadette!! Thank you for the great choices for my winter read list!! Have a great day!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, okay I guess I need to get back into Where'd You Go, Bernadette? and finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Speak! I inadvertently saw the Lifetime movie adaptation (starring Kristen Stewart!) and that prompted me to read the book a few years ago. It's so good--interestingly structured and heartbreaking. YA books are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i haven't read any of these, but Speak and Where'd You Go Bernadette are on my list. I had not heard of that Lisa Genova book, adding it to my list. I loved Still Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't heard of these. A tad excited about a couple for sure. I like to find a new book off my regular picks to try. From the Bookworm link up today,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for linking up with us! I love the way that you have this post formatted! The Bernadette book has now been on so many blogger's pages and I think that I need to go ahead and order it. Love talking books with my friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of these, but Elizabeth is Missing sounds really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep wanting to read Speak! Even more now that you said it only took you two days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these so will have to add them too my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked the first three books you mentioned! Never heard of Elizabeth is Missing but adding it to my TBR list now because it sounds interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth is missing sounds SO good and really interesting! Yay for finding new books to read :) I've heard of speak, too! It's good to know it's a great read and that it was good enough to make you want to keep reading it.
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read Speak years ago and would love to reread it again soon. I've never heard of Love Anthony but it definitely sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read Speak years ago and loved it and it was (strangely) a comfort to re-read after my own assault. I picked up Where'd You Go Bernadette at Goodwill but still haven't read it. This also needs to change. I can't believe anyone, even a fictional character, could hate Seattle. Wtf. Definitely adding the others to my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got Speak selected for a book challenge that I started this month. Looking forward to it! I'm on the wait list at the library for Inside the O'Briens (another Lisa Genova) book. I've only read Still Alice, but I've heard great things about the O'Briens. I guess I need to read Love Anthony too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bernadette has been on my to read list forever. I really need to get around to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting to read where'd you go Bernadette! I have heard so manygreat things.
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. i completely agree with you about where'd you go Bernadette. it was very different from what i was expecting. i just read still alice a month or so ago and really liked it, so i'm curious to read more by lisa genova. I really like Moriarty's books too so i'm glad to hear there's some similarities!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Speak sounds really familiar. I think I might have seen the movie that Jess was talking about in her comment. I would definitely want to check out the book! I think Elizabeth Is Missing sounds the most interesting out of all these! I think I am going to put that one on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have vague memories of reading Speak in high school-- if I remember it was quite a sad tale but a good read. Just from the cover where'd you go Bernadette sounds like a fun read :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete