Northwest Native: Splurge vs. Save vs. Steal: Black Bell Sleeve Dress

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Splurge vs. Save vs. Steal: Black Bell Sleeve Dress

Bell sleeves are everywhere right now. I seriously thought they would look completely ridiculous on me, but I tried on a black bell sleeve dress at Nordstrom and fell in love. I found a few at different price points and the idea for a splurge/save/steal post was born!

Splurge: Free People

I think the lace sleeves on this Free People dress are really pretty. (I also think this color is really pretty, but it does come in black too!) I think Free People is kind of ridiculous sometimes, although I like a lot of their stuff. My main issue is that they're expensive but they give you hardly any fabric! I haven't tried this dress on, but I'm 99% sure I'd find it to be too short, because that seems to be how most of their dresses are made.

This is the dress I found at Nordstrom and tried on. I saw it in the store and I was mostly just curious. I honestly though it would look extremely ridiculous on me, but I loved it! The length is also reasonable. I'm not a fan of the tassels tied like they are above. This dress is currently on my wish list. (Below is when I tried it on, though you can't see it too well since it's just a mirror selfie.)

Steal: Xhilaration

This post was originally going to just be splurge vs. steal, but I was at Target over the weekend and stumbled across this. This is seriously an exact dupe for the 'save' dress. I was surprised, because most Target dupes I see are based on bigger brand names, not just the random brands in the BP department of Nordstrom. I didn't try it on, but I'm kind of tempted to order both this and the save dress. If I like the more expensive one a lot more/feel like it's significantly better quality, I'd return this one. But maybe this could be a contender and I could save twenty dollars!

I guess the moral of the story is that the most expensive option isn't always the best one, and Target always has spot-on dupes!

-----

I just found out yesterday that Rachel and Astleigh are hosting the Every Girl Link-Up today and the theme is outfits that go from day to date! Personally, I think one of the above dresses with a great pair of booties would be a perfect outfit! Really, I'm partial to dresses with booties for pretty much any occasion, and I think the outfits are usually more versatile than pairing a dress with flats or heels.
I wore this yesterday. I haven't worn this sweater dress (from Old Navy a year ago) yet this season and I forgot how much I love it! I also loved mixing patterns with my leopard scarf (similar) and mixing blacks/browns with the scarf and booties too! (Sorry about the mess behind me!)
I even rocked the dress/booties combo for my rehearsal dinner. And look how many other ladies are wearing dresses with booties?! I'm telling you, it's a perfect combo. My dress is crazy comfortable. I don't know how to describe it but basically it feels like pajamas. And it's long enough that I'm not worried about showing anything off on accident. (My dress is no longer available, but there is a very similar dress by the same maker here, here, and here.)

For my birthday dinner I wore this dress and (shocker!) these booties, but I didn't get a picture. It was a twenty minute walk to the restaurant and twenty minutes back and I was totally fine. The booties get my seal of approval for comfort for sure.

What do you think of the bell sleeve trend? What about dresses with booties?

Don't forget, Monday is Julie and I's monthly Tell Us About It link-up for November! The topic is favorite Thanksgiving traditions! Hope to see your post linked up. :)

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

19 comments:

  1. I like Free People style but they are very expensive and I bough a shirt once that basically fell apart. The sweater dress is so cute and I love dresses with booties!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am really surprised at howgorgeous the bell sleeves dress looked! i would not pass it but it looks gorgeous on you. i love the sweater dress you wore too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh i love that sweater dress! i am a huge fan of mixing stripes with other patterns. and i love that black dress from nordstrom, though the target one is definitely a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The black dress is so pretty, I honestly like the save better than the splurge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I've been living in sweater dresses, tights and booties lately too! So comfy but looks more put together than my other "uniform" - PJs or ratty leggings ... haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the black dress on you!!! It is so pretty!!! And I like the save better than the splurge option. Hands down. The sweater dress is super cute too!!! Target as some booties and a few sweaters that I want right now. I need them to do BOGO50% off or something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Free People. I swoon at all of their stuff but can never talk myself into spending that much money. The Bell sleeve dress looks really good on you! That Target dupe is spot on! I think that is my favorite one:)
    -Krissy
    www.allthedetailsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the save dress too! You look awesome as can be! And that sweater dress is adorable!!! Rockin it so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress looks really good on you! I'm not sure how I feel about the bell sleeves either, I would have to try something on. But Target has really had some awesome stuff lately & I like their version of that dress almost more! I love the dress + bootie style too and need to start wearing that more often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm loving that 70's style fashion is back in. i tried on a bell sleeved dress the other day and i couldn't help but feeling like Donna from that 70's show (when she had blonde hair of course).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Target dupe! Definitely checking it out now.
    Your striped sweater dress & leopard scarf are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl....go back and get that middle black dress...it looks adorable on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh that target dupe is like identical!!! I LOVE it!! I need it hahah and it looks SUPER cute on you even though it's a mirror picture. I love bell sleeves lately, I'm so glad they're back in style :)
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to try the booties with a dress trend! I love your pattern mixing with the stripes and cheetah :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It does look great on you!!!! I wonder how it would look on me? I have short arms...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the bell sleeves-they look so great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the black dress on you! You can totally rock the bell sleeves :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa, nice finds on both those saves!! I bet the Nordstrom one is a bit better but depending on how often you'll wear it, and how often Target has sales, it might be worth the savings to get the Target one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So totally not the point of this post, but somehow this came up on the top of my feed and I thought it was from today so when I was looking at the linkup I was like umm November 2nd was a long time ago... and it's not the beginning of December yet, and then I figured it out, haha. But I LOVE these posts and that is such a good save! I'm with you on loving FP, but their stuff often is crazy expensive for what you seem to get.

    ReplyDelete