Northwest Native: Bookworm Wednesday [October 2015]

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Bookworm Wednesday [October 2015]

I know I haven't posted in a few days...and that's because I've been frantically running around trying to get everything done before people start getting to town for the wedding weekend! I haven't been able to read many blogs and definitely no time for commenting...but I am still alive, just very busy! I'm excited to be linking up with Katie and Molly today for Bookworm Wednesday! Since completing the Literary Ladies Summer Reading Challenge I've read some great books!



Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
I devoured this book. I love a good young love story, and this one was sooo much more realistic, which was perfect. High school can be a confusing time and love at that age isn't supposed to be all grand gestures and Romeo & Juliet-esque. I could totally relate to Eleanor's insecurities. I'm much more confident now, and I don't wonder why Michael would ever want to marry me or anything like that, but I do still have insecurities. They were just much worse in high school. Kudos to Rainbow for creating a more realistic, awkward young love between two outcasts. This was my first Rainbow Rowell book but it most certainly will not be my last!




I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson
The character development in this book is great. The relationships between characters were also very developed. It made me care about all the characters, which is what made me not want to put this book down! I also like books with more unusual or quirky characters, and this book provided that. There was a twist that I figured out pretty early on, and I'm not sure if that was intentional, but it didn't bother me like it normally would. I still loved the book just as much, and even though I knew the twist was coming, I wanted to keep reading to see how it unfolded when the characters realized.





Left Neglected by Lisa Genova
I loved Still Alice so much that I would've written anything else by Lisa Genova, regardless of what it was about. This book did not disappoint. I can't wait to read everything else she's written. Seriously. If you like obscure/mysterious medical conditions (I'm looking at you, Grey's Anatomy watchers), this book may interest you. I love some of the episodes of Grey's with the strange medical conditions, and this was just like a longer version of one of those. I loved it because you got a glimpse of her life before the condition, in the early stages, and as she began to adjust to it.







Room by Emma Donoghue
This book is heartbreaking, disturbing, uplifting...you feel so many things for the characters as you're reading. There are parts where you're curious, which makes you want to read on, and other parts where you're on the edge of your seat and just have to keep reading. Either way, it was hard to stop reading this for too long! It was also extremely detailed. Donoghue adds in so many things that as I read I realize I never would've thought of it on my own. You can tell a lot went into this book.





Four can't-put-it-down books in a row?! I hit the jackpot. I seriously can't believe I didn't get a library card until this summer. Also, my hold schedule was really working in my favor. The timing of all of these becoming available to me was perfect. Also, thank goodness for Kindle rentals. It's so much easier than having to get to the library to pick up and return. I also can't get any fines because it just gets removed from my Kindle automatically when my time is up (although I try to remember to return them myself so someone else on the hold list can read it!).

Have you read any great books lately? I currently have The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth on my shelf after winning it from a Goodreads giveaway! I also have The Book Thief by Markus Zusak that my mom gave me when she finished reading it. I'll probably read one of those next unless one of my seven seventeen books on hold at the library come up first!
Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

25 comments:

  1. You always have a great list of books to read! The library in my town is so small. I haven't been to it in ages so maybe I should check it out!
    I'm still wishing that I could read books on the kindle. My husband officially took my kindle and claimed it as his this last month since I never use it! Lol.

    Good luck with all the wedding prep! I know it'll all work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Eleanor & Park (which I LOVED) and I'm adding these other 3 to my to read list. Thanks Mattie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to read Eleanor and Park for a while so I may have to pick that next. I love reading and sometimes I forget because I get busy but then I remember how much I love books :). You must be SO excited!! Enjoy every second!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eleanor & Park is now on my list!

    p.s.--UM, Happy Wedding Week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to read Eleanor and Park for some time how... I am totally going to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adored Eleanor & Park & love the following its gotten... much deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been eyeing Eleanor & Park, I think I'm going to pick it up!

    Brooke
    Pumps and Push-Ups

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm adding Eleanor and Park to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've heard so many good things about Eleanor & Park but just haven't gotten to read it yet....maybe this is the inspiration i need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Eleanor and Park but haven't read it yet. Now I will!! Girl, the fact that you're even doing any posts is amazing!!! Sending you smooth sailing and happy happy wedding vibes you cutie patootie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't read any of these! I'm going to add them to my book list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been meaning to get around to Eleanor and Park. The other books sound interesting too! I can't even imagine how busy you are right now! Eeeeh!!!!! You are so close!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a few days away! So excited for you! I have Eleanor & Park on my Kindle and haven't gotten to it yet. It sounds good though. I LOVED Room. Such a powerful book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read Eleanor and Park too and absolutely adored it! I've read Attachments by her too and enjoyed it, but this one was a different level love. I think I'll have to add I'll Give You the Sun to my TBR list. Good luck with your wedding prep!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun list! :) I'll definitely have to check these out. Pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll have to check some of these out! I'm trying to be more open to reading, and reading non-self help books especially, so all of these could fit the bill! I'm also terrible about finishing books, so you had me at "can't put down"! haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh! Room has been on my list but I've been worried it wouldn't keep me interested. Maybe I'll try it. We miss you in blog land! So excited for you and the wedding! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. You seriously did hit the jackpot with 4 must-reads. I love that! Totally random...but I really like the way that you formatted this post. :) Happy 3 days until your wedding!!! Thanks for linking up with us on your crazy week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great group of books! I've read two and agree with your assessment of them; guess that means I need to read the other two :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your wedding is so close! I bet this week is crazy but it will all be worth it by Saturday! Good list of books too. I just read Still Alice so I definitely want to check out her other books. Room also sounds really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WEDDING WEEK!!! I am so so so so excited for you!!! How are you? Completely overwhelmed? At ease? I cannot wait for post-wedding posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am currently reading Book Thief too!! And Room looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved Eleanor and Park so much. I need to buy it like now. And I own Room and haven't read it. That needs to change. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've had my eye on Eleanor and Park but it's always checked out at the library. I just started the book Landline by the same author though. :)

    Penn&Quill || Robin

    ReplyDelete