Northwest Native: An announcement.

Monday, October 19, 2015

An announcement.

So I realized my post on Wednesday wasn't exactly clear. I hadn't planned on doing a wedding post that day, I was going to post Thursday's post. I just threw in the wedding picture for fun. The main point of the post was to let you know I won't be back to posting regularly yet because my computer is the devil. But even if/when I get my computer stuff sorted out...there's another reason why I won't be posting as much in the next few weeks.

I am NOT pregnant, by the way. I feel like every time I say I have an announcement now, that's what people will assume. So I just wanted to get that out of the way.

My big news is...we are moving to Portland. We came up with the idea about a year ago, and I asked my office if it would be possible for me to transfer to the office in Portland (although Seattle is the corporate headquarters, so I will be the only accounting employee there!). My manager had to talk to upper management, and they approved it about six months ago.
Of course we're moving to Portland right as Katie and Julie are moving to Seattle...which is horrible timing! Our lease was actually supposed to be up mid-October, so we asked if they could extend it because I don't know a single person who would want to move within four days after their wedding. The longest they could do is eleven months so...here we are! I thought after the wedding was over I could relax...but then I remembered how stressful moving is, especially when you're trying to find an apartment from afar. We also have to keep in mind that Michael will be finding a new job, so we're trying to find a place close to my office in Beaverton, but also close enough to downtown Portland, since a lot of jobs are there. And we only have one car...so that's also a factor.

We have multiple reasons for the move. We really reeeeally want to buy a house, but the market in Seattle is crazy. Currently, Portland area homes are much more affordable. For the most part, rent is also cheaper in the Portland area, so we'll be able to save more money to eventually buy a house. My parents are also about 45 minutes from Portland, so when we have kids (in a few years!) they will be close to their grandparents. Michael's family is in the Bay Area, so it's still a flight...but normally we drive from Seattle to my parents' to drop off the dogs with them, then fly out of Portland. So it will actually be more convenient to go see them too!

We actually took a last minute trip down to Portland over the weekend because we found a few apartments to look at. Traffic was awful from Seattle down to my parents' so the drive down was extra long, and we left Sunday at nine in the morning. Saturday was mostly spent driving to and from Portland and looking at apartments. We did end up applying for one though, and it's got a lot of grass and is in a pretty quiet neighborhood, plus it's on the ground floor with a sliding glass door right outside, so I think the dogs will love it. Hopefully that will take some of the stress out of my life now, but I had to cancel my Saturday appointment at the Genius bar and won't have another until the weekend. So I still don't know how frequently I will be posting! Also if my computer is toast, I'll probably wait a while to buy a new one.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

33 comments:

  1. Mattie that is so exciting! But yes very stressful after a wedding :) Happy moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stressful and exciting!! It will all work out and we will all see you when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's awesome! I love living in Houston, but I definitely want to live somewhere else for at least a few years. Good luck on your house search!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everything goes well with moving and job hunting for Michael! I know both can be pretty stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so exciting!! That's so great your job was OK with making the move!! Seattle will miss you though but I hear you on the houses and traffic. We live way in the burbs now, which is great for a bigger house, but not great for terrible traffic getting into the city :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting is that! Hope the move and house hunting go well!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such exciting news girl! I heard Portland is amazing and I think you'll really love it there, good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know that being newly married, anything with the word "Announcement" on it is immediately going to have people thinking baby :)
    Congrats on the move news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SOOO exciting! You guys will love it there, I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO exciting!!! Congrats! It will definitely be nicer to be closer to your family. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yayayay! So much fun! Moving is a pain, but it sounds super exciting as a newlywed!! Boo about your computer though. I hope it's a simple fix!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is exciting news!!! I hate when I say I have some news and people assume baby. There are more exciting things in life than kids. I mean, that is exciting too but dang! Haha! Best wishes on your move! Sounds like it will be a great fit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is big news!! I hear nothing but good things about Portland. Plus, this seems like you'll both be closer to your families which is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so great!! I'm so happy for you and Michael! (Although the actual act of moving and unpacking is legitimately the worst.) I've been contemplating a move myself (not that I've come up with any sort of plan on that front), so it's very exciting and heartening to hear of other people doing what I hope to do one day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely get used to any time you have news, or feel sick, or basically breath people will assume it's a baby ;)

    Also, congrats!!!!!!! So exciting! And starting your married life in a new place, so even more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so exciting! And so awesome about your job too, that really saves a lot of stress right there! Good luck with everything, and the computer issues too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so so exciting! I can't wait to read post about you exploring Portland-I've always wanted to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE Portland and I'm so excited for you! I can totally understand how much more affordable it is, plus I feel like Portland is so much more down to earth than Seattle. Plus breweries. That wins above all. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This move sounds wonderful, especially if it's going to put you guys in a good place to buy a home and closer to family

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so exciting! Good luck in your apartment search and this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey you're going to have so much fun on a new adventure with your hubs in Portland. But seriously that does suck that you're moving right as Julie and Katie are getting to Seattle hahah

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh lucky! I've never been but I hear it is GORGEOUS there! Like soooo green and lush!! That is sooo exciting! ahh moving is stressful but once everything is in place it's like the best thing ever. That's so perfect that they let you transfer, too! meant to be!! :)
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  23. Portland is a wonderful city! Good luck with finding a place!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome!! How far is Portland from Seattle? That's so exciting though! I love being close to my parents and know that even if I move away I want to be near them when I start having kids. Hope your computer can be fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. yeah but what about that part about how katie and susannah left stephanie with a big empty blogger dates hole in her heart and now you'll get to help fill that??? haha. we can road trip to see katie together or steal her when she comes down to visit. i'm excited for you to move down here! first blogging date is at lionhearted, i'm already claiming it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG congratulations girl! What an exciting time! I've heard wonderful things about Portland so I hope you love it! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  27. i'm not married yet but my boyfriend and i have been together for a while now. we're both in the 22-24 year old range so of course any time i tell any of my friends and family i have something to tell them they all scream in my face "omg you're engaged!!", and i sit there awkwardly like, "ummm no i'm not... moving on now". and of course once we do get married i'll be in the same boat as you where everyone thinks every "announcement" is us saying "we're pregnant". i'm such a stubborn person that i feel like when i finally do get engaged i'm just going to be casual about it and wait for people to notice the ring and then be like "oh yeah that happened". haha. congrats on the move!! that's so exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's awesome! Congrats on the move!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well as long as you are happy to be moving then I am happy for you although moving is a big ass task but I am sure you know that

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so behind in blogging world lately, but you're sweet to mention katie and I moving up there. We will miss you but hope you will be back and forth! SO happy for you and excited for your move though. Portland is great! And it will be so nice to be closer to your parents! Enjoy moving :) haha we are in the thick of it now and it's a lot o work lol

    ReplyDelete
  31. congrats on your big news!! i have always wanted to visit there! i was there for a quick visit years ago, but not a full trip out if it.

    ReplyDelete