Northwest Native: Weekend Things

Monday, September 21, 2015

Weekend Things

On Friday, Michael and I headed to our reception location, Golden Gardens, to see where we wanted to take pictures on the big day. We found an area we had never seen before with a wooden walkway from the grassy side to the beach side, and it goes over this pond that is covered in green (pictured below). Doesn't it look like grass or carpet? I couldn't believe how covered it was! We also drove from the townhouse where my family is staying (which is where the bridesmaids and I will be getting ready) to the church to see if there was a place in between those points where we could do our first look. We found a couple of parks, so hopefully it will work out!

After that, we went to Gordito's for dinner. Their slogan is 'healthy Mexican food' because they have no trans fat...but their grande burritos are also known as 'baby burritos.' They have a whole wall of pictures with babies laying next to their grande burritos...and they're the same size. I got the regular sized burrito and it was two meals. I can't even imagine the baby burrito.

So, my appointment with the beauty stylist at Nordstrom on Saturday didn't go so well. The makeup was a little too intense for me. I still felt pressured to buy something though, so I did... But I returned it to a different Nordstrom later that day. Insert see no evil monkey emoji here.
This is the picture the stylist took when she finished. I mean, for some people this is an everyday makeup look. But because I hardly wear any eye makeup, this was way too much for me, even for a wedding look. I also feel like my face is a very noticeably different color than my neck. She also said something about blush being overwhelming on pale skin...and then she put on way more blush than I ever wear. Basically makeup artists and hair stylists scare me because 1. I always feel like they're judging my lack of expertise (and lack of caring) and 2. I never know how to tell them that I'm not into what they did.

I ended up returning this top that I mentioned in Friday's post. I realized right after writing the post that if I was questioning it that much, I should just return it. I think it's so cute, but like I've said in the past, some things just don't work for your body, no matter how much you love them. (And that's not a reason to beat yourself up--it's just how the clothing is made!)

Before my appointment on Saturday, I made my Old Navy returns and still had some time to kill. First, I browsed Nordstrom. I tried on the faux leather leggings and they just didn't fit right. They were really tight on my knees and loose in the waist, so sizing up or down wouldn't work. I also saw the suede skirt from Friday's post and didn't even have to try it on because holy short! But I did try on this dress in both the pink and olive and loved them both. I think I may buy the olive one some day (you're not imagining things--there is a white spot/stain on the olive dress; it was also ripped in the back, and I was wearing a small in the olive and medium in the pink and prefer the fit of the medium). I also tried on this dress which I thought I wouldn't like on because of the bell sleeves, but I loved it too. You can't really tell, but I have the tassels hanging long in the front, which I prefer over tied like they are on the model.
I also checked out the wallets at Nordstrom even though I can't really afford one. I found this one in gold and loved it, but like I said, I don't have $100 to spend on a wallet right now. So I headed to Nordstrom Rack and found the exact same wallet but with a different inside color for $50! I went back on Sunday to buy another one as a Christmas gift--my first one yet this year!

After my first shopping excursion on Saturday, I came home and Michael and I headed to Nordstrom at Northgate so he could get his wedding outfit tailored. With a Nordstrom card, you get $100 worth of free alterations. Although, they aren't quite free. You pay up front, and in a few weeks you get a Nordsrom note in that amount added to your account. So of course I offered to pay for his alterations with my card because then I have an excuse to spend that much at Nordstrom later. ;)

We got some groceries too, and I decided to get something to drink that night and also during the Packers-Seahawks game on Sunday night. I poured it into a glass to try and pretend I'm classy, but let's be real, when is Mike's Hard ever classy?

On Sunday I went back to Nordstrom at Northgate to get matched for foundation for the wedding. I got that done, and the lady who did it basically told me I suck at beauty (you are correct, ma'am) and that I need to exfoliate 2-3 times a week because I have tons of dry skin apparently, and I need to buy something other than the Mineral Veil I use because something about corn starch.

I came home and went to Target because I figured I'd humor the Nordstrom lady and buy an exfoliating cleanser for my face. I also found these because I'm obsessed with M&M's and pumpkin spice that is not in actual latte form.

And that's the story of how 50% of my weekend was spent in stores buying and returning and being afraid of ladies at the beauty counter. Phew. I'll leave you with this picture of Flora licking her nose in a Packers jersey.

I'm linking up with Biana for Weekending and Ashley for Monday Madness!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

27 comments:

  1. I feel the same exact way about the ladies at beauty counters. I always feel judged because I don't use 5(exaggerating..ha) products on my skin prior to applying foundation and the foundation I'm currently using isn't good for my sometimes oily/sometimes dry, pale skin. I avoid them at all costs!
    So funny that you returned what you bought at a different Nordstrom because I could see myself doing the same exact thing! If only there was at least one Nordstrom closer than 2 1/2 hours from me!
    I'm LOVING that black dress!! I love the bell sleeves. I have two shirts like that currently in my closet and wear them way too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha the makeup counters are the worst! Trust me! I used to work for Clinique and the majority of everyone doesn't know what they're doing/shouldn't be doing makeup to be honest. I am the worst at makeup and I got a job there. (I just really love skincare though.) Whenever someone would call to schedule an appointment I would run. I remember once a Mother of the bride came to get her makeup done, no practice, just right before the wedding and I didn't do do, someone else did, but she left crying. She hated it. Those people are not experts by any means. And they put so much makeup on you because that's what they're taught. Put everything on them and more chances they will buy more! So that part made me laugh. Sometimes you can find someone you really like though, so I have faith you will! I love that little tassel dress you tried on!!! The closest Nordstrom to me is like 30 mins away...so luckily no just stopping in. Plus I mostly shop online, because I cannot be trusted in a store. Too dangerous lol. (And yes to exfoliation. It's my best friend.) xo

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like almost 100% of the weekend was spent in Nordstrom! Jealous. Except not jealous of judgey makeup people. I always hate that, too. I suck at beauty, but calm down, people!

    (even though I think you look beautiful in the makeup picture)! It's all about YOU feeling comfortable and beautiful on your wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wedding beauty is a finicky bugger because you end up wearing more makeup than you normally would. I was supposed to have someone doing my makeup, but I ended up just doing it myself after hair/before the ceremony. When I thought I was done my photographer advised me to go a bit heavier on the blush and eye makeup because it tends to get lost in the pictures if you don't. I took her advice and went heavier (but not makeup artist heavy), and she was right. It still came out looking really subtle in the photos. That being said, you really want to make sure you look like you. If you're uncomfortable you probably don't look enough like you, and the last thing you want is to be uncomfortable on your wedding day. Follow your intuition, and then bump up the intensity on the features a bit past what you would normally do. You'll be fine.

    Also, you totally classyed up that Mike's Hard Lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Cassie in regards to make up and pictures. I think you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate pushing makeup artists!! Is there another store you could try? Finding a good makeup artist is hard. I will say that for a wedding though, it's a little difficult. You do need more makeup on than usual for the pictures. I would recommend trying Trish McEvoy makeup, she does alot of natural looking makeup that looks great. My friend is a makeup artist for them and she is always doing weddings. Too bad you don't live in near me, I could send you to a few different people to see who you liked best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again with my wedding photographer advise (are you tired of it yet) - watch the makeup around the eyes. As you can see, when you smile, people naturally squint - if makeup is too dark around the eyes, you loose your eyes completely & just see dark. Not what you want :) Just a tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh!! People who judge on makeup/hair drive me insane!! It just gets under my skin. I do love your lip color in your make up trial. I laughed out loud at the mike's hard in a glass. I always think that when I'm drinking them, like is there a way to dress this up?? Your big day is getting so close! Woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, sounds like quite the weekend! Such a bummer the beauty trial didn't go as you had hoped! Sounds like a lot of running around, but your venue looks gorgeous! I bet you will have some GREAT pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am never really a fan of them make up artists do something totally different than what look I go for every day. I will say that on your wedding day you do have to wear heavier make up than you would any other day....but that doesn't mean you have to go for a look that isn't natural for you. I hate when you feel obligated to buy something and I don't blame you for returning it!!! I love that dress with those sleeves! SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally relate to this. I hardly wear any make up either (no foundation or face powder or blush) and was really concerned about it looking too heavy on my wedding day. At my trial they totally contoured my cheeks and laid on the foundation and covered up all my freckles (what's wrong with freckles?) and I just did not look like myself. So on my wedding day I basically said, little to no face stuff please and ignored whatever they said lol. I also did a hair trial and she did about 5 different updos. I hated them all and left so discouraged and basically wanted to cry. On my wedding day I decided to leave it half up/half down and was so much happier. You just got to ask for what you want and not worry about hurting the stylist's feelings. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay I have so many things to say about this makeup issue. I love the pic after you got your make up done :) I think it is super pretty. BUT! You should look like your best self on your wedding day. You want to think you look great! So make sure to do what makes you the happiest. Like I have told you before, I did my own makeup and just picked out what I wanted at the Mac counter. I balled my eyes out after my makeup trial. So I totally get not liking it! You gotta do you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm dying to know - are the pumpkin spice M&Ms good? I mean worth it? It's one of those things that could be really good or really gross so I'm very interested. Also I feel you on the make up counter ladies. I don't think I could ever have my makeup done professionally and like it (after prom 1 I never did again).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I miss not being able to pop into Nordstrom and Rack regularly! I love finding a good deal at Rack :) And most of the ladies above have said it, but thought I'd add you look gorgeous in the picture post-makeup session ... but do what is comfortable to you! My makeup artist/hairdresser urged me to wear more than I was used to for pictures, and she was right. Though, after my trial and bridal portraits I had to race off to work after and it was so over-the-top for taking care of infant twins, their mom kept cracking up with my "wedding whore" makeup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bummer your beauty stylist appointment didn't go well. I hate when they don't really listen to what yo uwant! I have always had a good experience at sephora! I like that they have the camera-skin match function so I know my foundation really is a perfect fit!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, I've never experienced having my makeup done by someone (other than Mary Kay) but I can definitely imagine that they might make you feel a little pressured. I think your makeup looks great though! But I agree with some other comments, you have to be comfortable with it since it's your day! If you end up doing it yourself, I definitely recommend using a setting spray (like Urban Decay All Nighter) as it works wonders! I love love that olive dress! You have such great style-- I might have to borrow your expertise on finding an outfit for an event I have next month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I WANT THOSE M&Ms SO BADLY!!! but i'm doing whole30 and i can't for like A MONTH wahhhhhh. are they good???

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm the same way with makeup counter ladies/hair dressers...I can't tell them how much I hate what they're doing! Anyway, I know you thought that makeup was too much, but you totally rocked it...and I think I may need to make an investment in those dresses you tried on. Too cute.

    Can't wait to see wedding pictures, keep us all updated (:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you considered Bobbi brown or Clinique makeup counters at nordies? They are a little more natural as it seems you were at Estée Lauder wh h usually is a little more heavy handed. I don't wear a ton of make up either and I felt like those two brands didn't quite layer it on so heavy as other brands!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, I so agree with you on makeup artists. I don't know how to tell them that I am not liking what they're doing on your face. And also, you should definitely get the dress. Olive is a great color, but both are great really!

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mattie you are too cute, but don't be afraid to tell your stylist that you want to change something bc your wedding photos are forever. Plus, chances are you will never have to see them again anyway so there's that

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhh what a weekend. One, ew to makeup counters. I agree, they're so overwhelming and it's just not a fun time. Every time I've had makeup done there it's cakey and dark and just... wrong. I'm pale too, maybe that's why...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohhh and I also, because I just thought of this hours later...how were those m&ms?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Some of those makeup counters are the worst. I've hated the looks every time they've given me one (which has been a total of 3 times). I've joked before that they've made me look like (the very pc term) a baby prostitute. I actually really like the makeup on you. It's really well done. But I also can see it bein a lot for an every day look. And don't feel bad about not knowing everything regarding beauty. It took me until last year to be able to do my eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some of those makeup counters are the worst. I've hated the looks every time they've given me one (which has been a total of 3 times). I've joked before that they've made me look like (the very pc term) a baby prostitute. I actually really like the makeup on you. It's really well done. But I also can see it bein a lot for an every day look. And don't feel bad about not knowing everything regarding beauty. It took me until last year to be able to do my eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There's so much for planning a wedding! It sounds like you have a handle on everything tho. I'm sure it will be amazing! Sounds like fun filled weekend! Thanks for linking up this week!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a good and productive weekend! That shift dress looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete