Northwest Native: The List: Trending

Thursday, September 10, 2015

The List: Trending


I'm back to update 'the list'! If you're new around here, this is a series I've started, mostly to hold myself accountable and keep myself from making a ton of frivolous clothing, shoe, and accessory purchases. I keep track of the 'holes' in my closet and try to fill them. I also include some trends that I want to get in on.

Speaking of trends...

faux leather leggings
I'm really wanting a pair of faux leather leggings! (Or if we're going to do what most of the fashion world has been doing and trying to trick people into thinking they're buying something fancier...'vegan leather' leggings.)

The pair on the left is by Hue from Nordstrom. The other two are from Target. I'm thinking the Hue pair is my best bet, quality-wise. Or I could buy one of the cheaper pairs just to see if I even like them/wear them enough, and if I do, spring for the Hue ones later. My favorites are the left two, but I think that's mostly because of styling (I'm not sure there's even a difference between the two Target pairs...they're the same brand and price, but listed separately).

I put together a few ways I would wear them (or attempt to wear them--who knows if these would work in real life or if I can even pull off faux leather leggings?).
faux leather leggings look 1
I'm super into burgundy this year. I love neutrals with a pop of color, so this outfit (with either of the booties) would be perfect! I have also envisioned another outfit with the burgundy booties and faux leather leggings.
faux leather leggings look 2
I've seen outfits like this on Pinterest. I'm not quite sure I'm cool enough to pull off the leggings or the sneakers, so put them together and I'm really not sure. But I love stripes, leopard and neutrals,
I got this sweater at Target over the weekend (of course it's not on their website because that's how Target rolls). I think it would look cute with the leggings and the booties pictured below (that I will be receiving as a birthday gift next month!). The sweater also apparently comes in black (we ran into my mom's coworker and she was buying it) but they didn't have any more left, and of course, it's not online. I'd love to wear the black sweater, black faux leather leggings, and one of the pairs of burgundy booties above! Maybe with a leopard scarf?
faux leather leggings look 3
Apparently I'm on a pleather kick--can we bring back saying 'pleather'? It reminds me of my childhood--because when I was walking in downtown Seattle the other day (and then again walking in downtown Portland) I saw this pleated skirt in the window of J. Crew and fell in love. Unfortunately for me, J. Crew is a little bit out of my price range. But I was in Target last night and happened to stumble upon one there! It hits below the knee, which means I could only wear it with heels...I wish it hit right above the knee. It was only $25 as compared to $128 for the J. Crew skirt below, but of course, it isn't online.

I know I started this series to fill closet holes and to stop myself from making frivolous purchases, so you might be confused as to why this post is filled with pleather and burgundy booties, which don't seem like the most practical purchases. All I can say is that every once in a while, I like to try out a trend. I've liked the faux leather legging trend since at least last year now, but I didn't ever consider wearing them. I'm getting to the point where I'm branching out and feeling more adventurous in my style.

I also have made all my September purchases already and...I'm doing a no-buy October. I know, that's never worked out for me in the past. But we're getting married in October, so I have a feeling a lot of my time will be occupied with that and not shopping. Plus it's my birthday month, so hopefully any clothes I get as gifts will tide me over. Or I'll get some gift cards that I can use to shop (I'm allowing that, just not allowing spending my money on clothes).

I'm linking up with Amanda for Thinking Out Loud Thursday!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

18 comments:

  1. I love those booties, but mic nervous to pull the trigger on a pair because I don't know how to style them for work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of loving all of the booties! I'd like a pair in a similar style, I just don't know what colour yet. I haven't jumped on the faux leather legging bandwagon trend yet. I tried a couple years ago with a pair from H&M, but that pair did nothing for my figure so I returned them. I think at this stage I'd have to wear leggings more before I could justify buying a faux leather pair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cute! I love the leather leggings, so cute, but always makes me think of the episode of Friends where Ross can't get his leather pants back on at a party (did you ever see that?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still looking for the perfect pair of faux leather leggings to add to my closet this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to the leggings! I love the legging/sneaker combo for more casual days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of those leggings! My friend rocked them in college like no other. However, the one time I tried them, my legs looked like stumpy, stuffed sausages...it could have been the fit. Definitely perfect for fall and winter though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see if you get those leggings! I could never rock the legging look, but I've seen your legs, and they'd look great :)

    And I love chunky sweaters, that brown one needs to be added to my closet yesterday.

    liz jo @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those leggings are cute and I think they'd look perfect with those super cute booties that you are getting for your birthday! I really want some new booties for this fall but I can't decide which ones I like best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh - that top will look PERFECT with those leggings. I actually want to go to Target now just for that top! That color is gorgs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the leather leggings would be an awesome piece for dressing up a sweater or tunic top! I've only seen hem worn with heels but I'm sure they'd also look great with booties. I have a pair of pleather jeans I have yet to wear since it's been warm since buying them or haven't had an excuse to wear them yet. I think with a big cozy sweater will work quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love the leather leggings!!! I wanted a pair so bad last year but I just cant pull off full leather so I got a pair that just have a leather strip down the sides. Maybe I can use a pair as motivation to really tone up some more this year LOL.I would go for quality on those, I have a feeling they will be a wardrobe staple for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you can totally say pleather again! Haha.. I mean, that's basically what it is... I've actually never wore leggings other than workout ones but I really like those! They look dressy but super comfortable too. I have some similar booties (like the burgundy ones) in taupe & I never actually wear them because I just can't make them look decent with any outfits. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see what you do with the Leather. I agree that the Hue may be a better quality, but Target's is still probably good too! & I love the idea of pairing them with booties :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the way leather leggings look (esp with heels!) but I definitely don't think I could pull them off. The leather skirt is adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got a pair of faux leather leggings this winter and chose the cheap option. Big mistake. After two wears, they started kinda peeling or cracking. I don't even know how to describe it, but let's say that they didn't last. Go for the Nordstrom pair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the booties oh my gosh....the maroon ones?? YES!! I love your list. When I saw your other post about it I meant to make one!! Now I have to!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Burgundy is so popular lately and I'm a fan! Also a fan of the fact that your wedding is next month!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have both of those burgundy booties that you posted in other colors. I like the one with the fringe zipper best :) and they both look so good in burgundy in person. Seriously I want them too. But don't forget they run so small. I had to get a full size bigger :(

    ReplyDelete