Northwest Native: Summer Reading Challenge Wrap-Up

Monday, September 21, 2015

Summer Reading Challenge Wrap-Up

My first ever reading challenge has come to an end! If you want to see my introductory post to the challenge and the two updates, the links are below.
Summer Reading Challenge - Reading List
Summer Reading Challenge - Update #1
Summer Reading Challenge - Update #2
Hosts: KariKrystalKristen

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Category: Non-US Author
Pages: 477
Date Started: August 21st
Date Completed: September 14th
This took me a while to get through, not because it wasn't good, but because it was complex. Most of the other books I read for the challenge were pretty easy reads. It was really interesting to learn the differences between life in Nigeria and life in the United States, as well as differences between American blacks and non-American blacks (the main character actually has a blog where she writes about those differences). I find it so strange how some people overcompensate in order to not come across as racist...but they end up being racist in the process. She mentions a character in the book who always refers to her black friends or acquaintances as, 'my beautiful friend ____' but simply refers to her white friends as, 'my friend ____.' Like, you realize this is treating one race differently than the other, right? Part of the ending kind of rubbed me the wrong way... I don't think it should have, but it's a personal issue I have. I don't want to say what it was that bothered me, because I don't want to give it away (it's not anything about race/nationality/etc.). And it's something that happens in tons of books, movies, and TV shows, not just this one. This was not a true story, but I believe much of it was based on experiences that the author or friends/family/acquaintances of the author had.

You can check out the other books I read below. I have also linked to the post where each book was reviewed if you're interested!

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
Category: Young Adult
Pages: 466
Date Started: June 21st
Date Completed: July 2nd
Review here.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed
Category: Kickass Female Character
Pages: 336
Date Started: June 21st
Date Completed: July 4th
Review here.

 The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
Category: Recommended by a blogger
Pages: 394
Date Started: July 4th
Date Completed: July 6th
Review here.

 Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Category: A suspenseful book
Pages: 254
Date Started: July 6th
Date Completed: July 8th
Review here.

Category: On my TBR list for a year or more
Pages: 321
Date Started: July 9th
Date Completed: July 13th
Review here.

Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
Category: Written by a comedian or celebrity
Pages: 344
Date Started: July 14th
Date Completed: July 18th
Review here.

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Category: A book about summer
Pages: 227
Date Started: July 19th
Date Completed: July 25th
Review here.

The Martian by Andy Weir
Category: A book that is or will be a movie
Pages: 369
Date Started: July 26th
Date Completed: August 10th
Review here.

Flight by Sherman Alexie
Category: Book with a one word title
Pages: 208
Date Started: August 11th
Date Completed: August 16th
Review here.

I can't believe I actually did it. When I started the challenge, I wasn't sure I'd actually finish. But starting the challenge was a great thing for me, because it made me rediscover my love of reading! Since I finished Americanah, I've read one whole book and started another. I also read The Weight of Feathers before I finished the challenge.

Have you ever participated in a reading challenge? I don't think I'll be starting another one for a few months at least...mostly because of the wedding, but also because since I've rekindled my love of reading I don't need a challenge to motivate me to do it!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

17 comments:

  1. Awesome! So glad you finished. I did too, which for me was definitely being pulled out of a rut! :) I really want to start Someday, Someday Maybe Again, I started it, but didn't have any time to read when I did. Maybe I will read it this winter! :) XO -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally don't think I finished mine, I sort of gave up and just read books as I got them. Good job on yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a library card recently and it has been the best! So many books...

    I loved Art of Racing in the Rain when I read it a few years back. I've been meaning to read it again actually but there are just so many other books I want to read at the same time!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY Congrats on finishing!! I love that you were able to finish even though you didnt think you could. I look forward to you joining us on future challenges - maybe we made you a book challenger for life haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you getting in all that reading! & I think you're right - let the reading just be fun without any challenges until after the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh I wish I read. I still have to finish The Walking Dead novels. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finishing the challenge! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finishing the challenge! Yay for rekindling your love for reading, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on completing the challenge! I've been trying to get back into reading & it's been nice to just unplug for awhile. Your last book sounds very interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couldn't read nearly as much as you did! That's amazing.

    liz jo @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  11. yayy congrats on finishing and thanks so much for joining us! i love doing challenges every now and again but especially when i'm in kind of a rut and it helps rekindle my love like it did for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. girlll you are my inspiration!! I love reading and I NEED TO MAKE TIME FOR IT! That is awesome you finished the challenge! Omg I can't wait for you to be married so I can see all of you pictures and read allllll about it! :)
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on finishing. I really liked Wild but it did drag in parts. The Art of Racing In The Rain was one of my favorites, I need to re-read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you, that's an impressive accomplishment! I have a lot of those books on my list so I look forward to reading all of your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I picked up Americanah at a secondhand bookstore not too long ago. Look forward to reading it. I'll keep in mind to sandwich it between some lighter choices, since it is a complex read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I try to do my own reading challenge every year! 52 books...but I've never achieved the goal;) Props to you for making it through the "challenging" read! The ones that have challenged me or kind of bored me lately I have just abandoned instead of persevering haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy that the reading challenge was beneficial to you!

    Also, Americanah was a book I had never really been interested in, but your description of it is making me reconsider. It is interesting how people feel the need to overcompensate. And although the description of friends like that is strange, I kinda do understand where it's coming from. I experience things like that a lot and I choose to understand that it's coming from a good place, ya know? And no doubt, I've probably done it to others indifferent circumstances as well.
    Anyways, congratulations on finishing the reading challenge!

    ReplyDelete