Northwest Native: How to Dress for Your Body Type

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

How to Dress for Your Body Type

Today I'm going to talk about dressing for your body type! We all have areas of our body that we like and areas that we don't like (well, hopefully we all have areas that we like--and if you have no areas that you don't like...teach me your ways!).

First and foremost, you need to determine what our body type/shape is. Are you...
Petite?
Athletic?
Long and lean?
Pear?
Apple?
Hour glass?
Fire truck?
Pickle jar?
Taco shell?

Next, determine your problem areas, or areas that you want to avoid highlighting. Maybe yours are...
Eyelashes?
Elbows?
Big toe?
Pinky toe?
Any of the other toes?
Fingernails?

Okay, what about your favorite areas? The parts of your body that you love and want to flaunt.
Waist?
Hips?
Thighs?
Butt?
Arms?
Back?
Stomach?
Calves?
Eyes?

One more step. Go into a dressing room (or your closet, or somewhere that has clothes you can put on). Now, put on an outfit. Do you feel fierce in it? Do you love how you look? Does it make you happy? If you answered yes to any of these, you are dressing for your body type! If you didn't answer yes to any of these, just keep trying until you find something that makes you feel good. Remember, I once cried in the middle of the mall because I couldn't find anything I thought looked good on me. Some things you might not like. And that's okay.


Here's the thing...I hate that we are put into boxes. There are serious articles about dressing for your body type. And if women find ideas on how to dress from these articles that make them comfortable and feel good, that's awesome! But if any women are feeling like they're being put down for what they're wearing or like there are certain things they can't wear, that's not so awesome.

Not all of us can even identify with one of the standard body types. I'd say I'm basically pear-shaped, but there are other things about my body that make it what it is. As a basically pear-shaped woman, I probably 'should' be wearing flare/trouser jeans to balance the width at my thighs with the width of the flares. I should also of course be wearing a fitted shirt. No flowy shirts if your upper body is the smaller part of you! But skinny jeans and leggings are my favorite. Especially paired with flowy shirts. So fashion rules can suck it. I'll be over here in my white jeans after Labor Day and mixing navy blue and black, thankyouverymuch.

I'm linking up with Holly for Waiting on Wednesday.

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

22 comments:

  1. This is awesome!! :) I have found lately that I have no idea if I like how I look in something until I see it in pictures. No wonder Cher Horowitz didn't trust mirrors and took polaroids instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha taco shell, I literally laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, love the bikini body how to - very true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never put myself into one category of body shapes so I know not every thing is going to look good on me. It makes it even better when you find the thing that fits feel like you hit the lottery :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. too true! I just did yours, and fit into so many different categories. I choose to ignore the traditional body types, (pear, apple, hourglass, etc) and focus on the fact that I have a body. Honestly there are parts of my body I don't like, but I've learned to stop focusing on them because of the fact that Kyle loves me regardless. So I just remember I have a body that's intact without any serious ailments, not everyone can say that.

    liz jo @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I wear what I want to wear and I know what looks good one me. I always mix navy and black. I follow my own fashion rules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I 100% agree! I was reading a magazine the other day and the options were something like: petite, curvy, pear shaped, athletic. I remember thinking UM how about ALL of the above? Or how about stop trying to categorize because everyone is different. Like you I have trouble identifying so I just wear what I like!

    Tara
    http://hcheart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was even the option of "boyish figure"! How is that supposed to make me feel good about myself! lol.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm pickle jars and taco shells. LOL! I love this though, dress with what you feel comfortable in and get excited about. Don't worry about what magazines tell you that you should be wearing. My favorite piece of fashion advice I ever got? Wear what the designer is wearing not what they are selling to you. Chances are it is simple and black lol. Not some of these crazy trends that look good on no one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! As long as you are comfortable with yourself and what you have on, that is what is important!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fashion "rules" are stupid, and sometimes contradictory. Like "no white after Labor Day" but then there's "buy this gorgeous 'winter' white dress!" Say what?! I'll wear white whenever i want and pair my tan and black too! Haha, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. "Firetruck? Pickle Jar? Taco Shell?" seriously girl you nailed this one. Especially for us ladies who don't fit any of these boxes. Seriously I'm like that weird breed of a shape that doesn't exist. A banana maybe. So how the hell should anyone else know how to dress my body?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahahahahah I love this post!! There are a few items all the bloggers had that I thought I needed, the latest being a denim vest. I've tried it over a few different dresses and I feel like it just hides my curves and makes me look boxy. You're right about not all rules working for everyone. Feeling good in what you wear is what's important!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is spot on! Fashion "rules" are stressful sometimes. Currently sitting at my desk wearing a white cardigan... we can wear what we want, when we want! Finding the perfect outfit is always the best feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha I love this! Sometimes I hate trying on clothes in a fitting room because I feel like the lighting is never flattering. And girl, rock that white after Labor Day! That's a stupid rule to begin with!
    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  16. You rock!! Fashion rules do suck!! Our bodies. No rules!!! Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome post & very witty! I had to laugh about the taco shell, fire truck & pickle jar too... especially trying to think what body type that would look like, haha. Shopping for new clothes is so frustrating because stores have ridiculous sizing. I wish they could all just come to one consensus so that people can shop anywhere! I'm pear-shaped also but I only wear skinny jeans too! Depending on the brand, they usually feel more comfortable than anything else-- so who cares that we aren't "supposed" to wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG love this post! And I love your bikini body rules too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I laughed out loud at fire truck :) Hahaha! My favorite thing to remember is there is nothing wrong with my body, there is something wrong with the clothes. So instead of hating myself, I try to hate the store;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally laughed at fire truck and pickle jar! :) This is great! If it makes you feel good, wear it! Love the bikini body how to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Taco shell (insert cry laughing emoji here) Yes I love this :) I do whatever I want to! Love when you put this stuff out there. I just love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete