Northwest Native: Friday Favorites: Back in the saddle.

Friday, September 4, 2015

Friday Favorites: Back in the saddle.

Happy Friday! I'm linking up with AndreaErika, and Narci for Friday Favorites and April for Five on Friday for the first time in a few weeks (hence the title--this post has nothing to do with horses)! I'm off work today and at my parents'...for the second weekend in a row! I have a bunch of happy mail that I sent here, plus my mom's freezer is stocked with ice cream...so that's how my weekend will be. :)

Number One: Fall is coming!

So here in Seattle it's been a cool week with rain off and on and I have been loving it! On Tuesday I posted my favorite fall activities (again, thanks to everyone who linked up with Julie and I!). That night I got fall decor out and lit my fall scented candles! This Spice Cake candle by Yankee Candle is one of my favorites! I bought two of them last season at Ross.
Something else I did on Tuesday night? Put on my flannel pajamas to lounge around the apartment. Michael looked at me and said, "I think you're taking this fall stuff a little too far." Hahaha! Too bad they're penguin pajamas and not something more fall-y like foxes or owls. I may have also worn these Wednesday night. (I didn't sleep in them...I get too hot when I sleep for that!)

Number Two: Protein bars...again.

I know I already posted my love of Odwalla bars in a previous Friday Favorites post...but then Molly did a review of protein bars on her blog. I checked the protein content of my Odwalla bars and it was only like three grams! So I decided to try out Simple Truth bars (she bought one but then couldn't eat it because it has gluten in it--but I'm not gluten free, and the price was right!). My favorites are the chocolate chip peanut butter, and peanut butter made with rolled oats (not pictured). The chocolate chip made with rolled oats is probably my favorite after those two. These only have like 7-10 grams of protein depending on the flavor, but it's better than three!

Number Three: A fallish outfit!

I already posted this top in two different posts (the list, August budget) but I wore it last Friday and took a work bathroom selfie (of course). I think the style of this top is my new favorite. I have this one and a coral one and the tunic version in olive, and I want them all! I finally figured out the half tuck (except it looks pretty rough in this picture--it looked better in real life, or I'm delusional) and love how this shirt looks! The olive green wedge booties, however, are being sold/donated. I learned that pretty much immediately after leaving the house in them. I've had them for years, but as I had the revelation that life is too short for ill-fitting jeans, I also had the revelation that life is too short for uncomfortable shoes!
Top - Necklace - Grey jeans - Old booties (similar - that I've heard are comfy, not feet killers like these!)
I'm also loving my jeans that fit right and this necklace! I can't really afford to spend $80 on a necklace (unless there are diamonds in it or something), or even $50 on a necklace (Anniversary Sale price)...but my mom bought it for me as a surprise and I was so excited! It's kind of iridescent, so it goes with a lot!

Number Four: Starting out strong!

If you read my September goals post on Wednesday, you'll know that though I include healthy eating and working out on my goals every month, I haven't made them much of a priority lately. This month I am putting a big emphasis on taking care of myself and my overall health, in part due to the wedding but I also want to make it a habit again (it has been in the past) so that I can keep it up for the long-term! I'm writing this on Thursday with a slight soreness in my abs, arms, thighs, and behind (TMI? sorry!). I love the feeling of soreness after a good workout. This week I have been eating much better. My run on Wednesday is the first good run I've had in a long time. I didn't have to stop to walk, I didn't cut it short (I like to run 3.1 miles each workout...I know that's weird, most people like a round number, but I just choose it since it's a 5K!), and I did my full stretch routine after. Plus I did planks later that night! I'm also back to drinking lots of water throughout the day, and I have cut back on my coffee consumption (or should I say my coffee creamer consumption...because I can't have coffee without it).

Number Five: Favorite songs!

I am apparently all about the girl power. In a previous Friday Favorites post, I mentioned Fight Song by Rachel Platten. Well now I'm all about Love Myself by Hailee Steinfeld. For one it's really catchy, but it also makes me feel super empowered! If I had a daughter, I would for sure make her listen to these songs.

I'm also apparently all about The Weeknd. My friend Allison made me download his first album when it came out a few years ago and I loved the whole thing. He has a cool sound, I don't know how to describe it. But it's there in all his music! I've never heard a song of his that I don't like. And I included Can't Feel My Face in another Friday Favorites post. I'm currently loving The Hills. I don't listen to much music except in the car, so when it comes on the radio I get really excited!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

28 comments:

  1. You are ready, arent you? Haha love the pj's
    i gotta go load up on fall yankee candles. My fav

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's still 90+ degrees here in Texas but I went to Bath & Body Works yesterday and stocked up on my favorite fall smells...at least it feels and smells like fall in my office/house! Flannel pajamas are my favorite but I can't sleep in them either, way too hot! Yay for getting back on track with eating and working out! Have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The necklace is really pretty :D That's awesome your mom surprised you with it.

    I have a pumpkin spice candle I think I'm going to start burning soon, but first I'm going to use up the one I have that smells like a fir tree. There's some scented candles I want at the book store but I can't justify buying another tree scented candle until I finish up my first one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm... I wish it was cold enough for me to justify wearing flannel pajamas....so jealous.

    And your title reminded me of "back in the saddle again, out where a friend is a friend...." or was that only me?

    Are you taking your pictures in your work bathroom? Because that's beautiful lighting I do that and I look sick (we have horrendous florescent lighting). And I tried doing it once and someone caught me and thought I was weird as all heck.

    liz jo @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you see the Jimmy Fallon/Tom Cruise "lip sync" of "I can't feel my face" ?? So funny ... I love the flannel PJs too but also couldn't sleep in them. I love Michael's comment on fall - haha!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. penguin jammies!!!!! <3 they are my favorite animal - so cute!! :)
    i am with you - i'm praying fall in!! it may be 90 degrees outside still but in my heart it's fall! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those jammies are too cute. It's still wait to hot to pull out my fall stuff but I cannot wait to do so!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the weeknd. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Especially the hills right now. I love that necklace from your mama, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you on eating healthier & exercising this week! Have a great weekend!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those penguins are too cute :)

    Sounds like a great weekend at your mom's!

    And yay for getting back on track with workouts and water consumption. I need to hop on that train too haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. That outfit is super cute! You look great! And I also can't sleep in heavy pjs, even though I'm cold all the time. The 25 blankets I add when I go to sleep probably is the source of the issue :D Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fall-ish look! And I agree- life's too short for ill fitting jeans, painful shoes, and (adding it in) uncomfortable underwear. Just sayin'. We're in the middle of a heat wave here on the East coast, and though I'm certainly not rushing the end of summer (it's my fave), I'm still a little jealous of your cooler temps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your outfit is so cute! I wish I could pull out some flannel pjs, but we have a crazy warm front here right now. I'm like what is this?! I want fall! Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl, your penguins are the cutest!! I wear those all day every day!! :) Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Jammie's!!!! You are such a cutie patootie!! Bring on the candles and PJ weather!!! I hope your long weekend is glorious!!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love feeling sore after a workout too. It means you did good work! I waddled from Tues-Thurs this week after a killer workout Monday. Happy long weekend girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to pull out all my fall clothes but it is TOO HOT!!! Hahaha! I am feeling super sore in my legs today after my run. I had a leg day Wednesday and so I always feel my Friday runs from it! haha! Yay for hurting so good, right?!?! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK, that's hysterial. I NEED to run 3.1 miles at least when I go out, It's a 5k dangit! I am so ready for fall. We still have at least a month to go but I have on a sweater today even if I'm going to sweat the minute I walk out of my office.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate Fight Song (too overplayed) but I love Love Myself! It is SO catchy! You are so strange for running 3.1;) That would make me crazy!! I'll stop at a whole number or at x.5!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are ROCKING the half tuck. Something which I have not yet mastered.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woohoo for jeans that fit right! I only recently found the jeans of my dreams and I'm so in love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm ready for some fall-ish scents around here too & definitely need to get some candles! I love that necklace! There is a similar one on Groopdealz right now that I'm really thinking about ordering. Have you tried Quest bars before? They are my absolute favorite but wish they were a bit cheaper. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your new necklace is beautiful!
    I love that, "Life's too short for ill-fitting jeans" :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. cute pj's
    love the Fight Song.. my son sings along whenever it plays on the radio

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope you had a good weekend at your parents!!! I just learned how to do the half tuck recently, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. so sad about those booties because they're so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok, those pajamas are so cute!! I am a little excited for sweaters and jeans--easier dressing for me! haha

    ReplyDelete