Northwest Native: Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award!

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award!

Liz from Sundays With Sophie nominated me for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award and I was so excited! Thanks, Liz!
I love a good Q&A/list/survey type post. I think it's partially my nostalgia for the MySpace days (R.I.P. MySpace) and also that you can't really have writer's block with specific prompts like these!

Here are the rules:
Provide a link and thank the blogger who nominated you for this award.
Answer a few questions about yourself.
Nominate 5-10 blogs that you love.
Include the award logo with your blog post.

Here are my nominations! You can answer the same questions I did, change a few, or change them all! Up to you. And ladies--if you don't want to do this post/answer the questions, I won't be offended, promise. :) I know not everyone is a crazy Q&A lady like I am.
Natalie @ That Natalie
The Busy Brunette
Katie @ Better Off Benedict

Without further ado, here are the questions that Liz asked of her nominees!

Why did you start blogging? The first blog I started reading daily was Shaeffer's (Pinterest Told Me To) in January 2014 at the recommendation of my mom. I then added Shay's blog (Mix & Match Family) after Shaeffer mentioned her so much. At some point, I started thinking how fun it would be to blog, but I just never thought I'd be any good at it. I eventually added three more blogs that I was reading daily: Astleigh's (Hill Collection), Katie's (Style On Target), and then another Katie's (Better Off Benedict). I was really excited to find Katie from Better Off Benedict's blog because she was the first PNW blog I found (at least that I really identified with). I became a regular commenter. One day she replied to my comment and asked why I don't blog, and that she thought I'd be good at it! I was so flattered and told her I had thought about it but had reservations, like what do I write about?! She assured me it wasn't so hard to come up with topics. I kept thinking about it for a few days and then took the plunge! Katie has helped me in sooo many ways since I started blogging and I was so happy to meet her the weekend before last! (I initially didn't nominate Katie for this because I had nominated her for loves & hates and was trying not to overload people with nominations, but after I wrote a giant paragraph about her greatness I just had to add her to the list!) :)
 Katie & I!

How do you think blogging has changed your life? It's made me more positive and appreciative, I'd like to think. There are so many uplifting posts out there about being comfortable in your own skin, remaining positive, not sweating the small stuff... Reading so many posts like this has really stuck with me and honestly I think it is making me a better person. Blogging also lets me see from new perspectives, which is always great.

Has blogging created friendships for you? It absolutely has! My answer for the above question was going to be how many blog friends I've made, but when I saw that this was a question, I changed the previous answer. Michael has a bunch of Twitter friends, mostly fellow Packers fans. He's met a couple of them in person and become really close with them, but there are others he hasn't actually met too. I used to tease him a lot about this...and now I have to put my foot in my mouth for that!

What is your number one tip for blogging? Blog about whatever you want! You don't have to take outfit pictures, or do surveys, or post recipes just because that's what you see other bloggers do. If you want to start a blog devoted to pictures of your cat, do it! Just write in your own voice and be yourself. And if you want to gain readers, the quickest way is to find other blogs you love and comment! (Sincere comments only--if you don't connect with the post, don't force a comment. And especially don't go around to tons of blogs pasting the same generic 'Great post!' comment.) The blogging community is really supportive and loves to shout out fellow bloggers.

What is your favorite kind of blog post to write and read? Personal ones. I know, I sound creepy. But like I said, I love these Q&A's, I love surveys, I love learning facts and quirks about other people. Day in the life posts are really interesting, weekend recaps, what's in your bag, and Friday Favorites! I also love reading people's budgeting posts.
 A picture from one of my weekend recaps--because the best weekends include ice cream.

Is it hard to keep up with blogging and your regular every day life? Sometimes it is really tough! I have really loved finding more and more great blogs to read...but the number of blogs I follow has become almost overwhelming! There are a few blogs I read every single day no matter what, but now I don't force myself to read every post on Bloglovin'. If something doesn't sound that relevant to me, I mark as read (or quickly skim) and move on. Writing posts hasn't been too hard yet because of link-ups and trying to schedule topics for posts in advance...but there are some days I have to just throw something together quickly. (Like this post I almost skipped writing completely.)

Have you met any bloggers you met through here? Yep! Two Katies. The ladies behind Style On Target and Better Off Benedict!

How much time do you spend blogging? I don't know, I'm sure it adds up. Between writing posts, taking pictures, replying to comments, reading other blogs and commenting...probably way too much time! Ha!

What is your most popular blog post? This one has the most views. I totally get why. I'm always looking for great hair products. But it's funny to me because I'm the farthest thing from a beauty expert. Of course, people were clicking over from the link-up and wouldn't have known that!
 From my aforementioned most-viewed post. I'm using a few different products now, so an update is in order!

What is your favorite post on your blog? I don't think I can pick just one! I like this one & this one because they were really fun to write, this one because I can go back and relive my bridal shower whenever I want, and this one because it's a topic that's important to me. These aren't necessarily readers' favorites, but that's okay!

Once again, thanks to Liz for nominating me! I had a lot of fun answering the questions. :)

Want more? Follow on Bloglovin' - Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - Pinterest

21 comments:

  1. Love getting to know you better, Mattie, and I totally agree about writing about whatever you want! You don't have to be a fashion blogger to have your voice heard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think back on how much time I spend thinking/writing/commenting and think it's ridiculous...BUT it's all worth it and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for nominating me Mattie!!! I'm so excited to do this! I loved yours and how much you love blogging! I have loved getting to know you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep folders/files on Bloglovin' on the ones I MUST read every day & the ones that I just can take or leave. SO MANY BLOGS!!! So LITTLE TIME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with that number one tip - blog about whatever you want!! So important!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I haven't heard of this award before, but I think it's great way to meet different bloggers. Plus, I also love a good Q&A. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I read your body shaming post before and LOVED you even more for writing it!! And thanks so much for nominating me!!! You are the sweetest! I love reading your blog every morning Mattie!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post! I am such a fan of all the friendships and relationships that can be formed just through blogging!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love me a good Q&A post, too! It is super fun to see how others got started blogging...which blogs they started reading first, how they decided to actually start one themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post Mattie! I am always interested to hear how and why people starting blogging. You gave a lot of really good advice!

    Thanks so much for nominating me! I'll be sure to do this one day next week.

    I found your blog through one of the link ups and I'm so glad I did! :) Yay for blogging friends becoming possibly real life friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love posts like this! Thank you for nominating me. You are so very sweet. I'm so grateful that I have found your blog. I love blogging, this community we have is so wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a big fan of personal posts too! You just get so much from them and are able to connect better because of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness this just made me SO SO happy :) You are too sweet. You teach me lots of things too. And I love that we can be PNW blog friends! Of course I will do this, thanks for nominating me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Question posts are so fun because you get to learn more about the writer!! I started reading running blogs first but felt like I couldn't blog then because I wasn't "legit" enough...then I started to find other healthy living blogs and even that felt like it would be hard to keep up with. The term lifestyle blog SOUNDS so generic, but it really is the best category in my opinion ;) I searched Mix and Match Mama after Sean was on the Bachelor and fell in love with her and her friends' blogs! And now I love to blog and connect with friends like you :) I totally get why you used to make fun of Michael -- I made fun of one of my friends in college who had a Twitter dedicated to the Philadelphia Eagles hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Mattie!!!! I am just getting to my blog reading now (waaaaaaay later than usual), and I saw you nominated me. THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is so exciting. I'm getting to work now on my post!
    By the way, I loved reading yours and learning more about you. Seriously, I wish we lived closer!!
    The Busy Brunette
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I spend far tooo much time blogging: writing, reading, commenting and replying. And I love reading personal ones, I think I'm creepy too (we can be creepy together) haha, really seriously know I probably sound like a weirdo.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun post! I like surveys because you really get to know the person. I'm finding it so hard to write about things that I want to write about. Mainly because I don't know who is all reading my blog so I'm afraid to really divulge into some things. But you're right, a person should post about whatever they want!
    BTW-- I had to catch up from yesterday's post too! I usually read blogs while I'm at work but my phone makes it impossible to try to comment so then I have to use my laptop to post comments!

    ReplyDelete
  18. congrats on the award! that's awesome. loved learning more about you. oh i remember those good ole myspace surveys!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’m with you, I love the positive, uplifting posts that are out there! I love the what’s in your bag posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great Q&A!!! As someone that just started blogging, I found it encouraging and informative!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think this blog is just your new version of myspace ;)

    ReplyDelete