Northwest Native: Weekend Recap: Parents & blog friends!

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Weekend Recap: Parents & blog friends!

I had a great three-day weekend at my parents' house! I told you already that on Thursday night we hung out and talked, I tried on my Nordstrom purchases (I decided on three returns), and then I eventually wrote a super quick Friday Favorites post.

On Friday, my mom and I took my car to be serviced early in the morning. By early I mean before 8, but Tully woke me up at 5:30 a.m. every day this weekend like clockwork, so it didn't feel like it was that early since I'd been awake a couple hours already. It may be my favorite that the dogs love exploring here, but it's not my favorite that Tully wants to start exploring that early.

Michael and I had to take my parents' giant extended cab truck with a canopy to run errands, since my car was in the shop. Michael wanted to try driving it, and he fell in love. My parents don't really use the truck, so he said he wanted to buy it from them. (It's a 1997, so it would actually be affordable.) This is the same guy who never ever wants to drive my Honda Civic. I'm from a small town with lots of big trucks, high schoolers who drink on logging roads, and people who chew. I'm not really into country music or cowboy boots or big trucks. Michael is from a more urban suburb. He went to private Catholic school complete with uniforms. He seems even less likely than me to be into big trucks, so it was really funny to me how much he loved it.

Friday night we went to dinner at a restaurant in Longview that I had never been to. It was soooo good.
I had a lemon drop, which was pretty good. And Michael creeped/photobombed. There was bread with olive tapenade too.
We got tuna tartare as an appetizer. I'm usually not this adventurous, but I actually really liked it, especially with the avocado and the wonton chips. I had shrimp scampi pasta, but I didn't take a picture.
Okay, I'm in love with bread pudding. This was the best I have ever had. (No raisins or nuts, yay!) It was HUGE. I may have eaten the leftovers for breakfast the next day. I mean, it's practically french toast, right?

On Saturday we headed to downtown Portland to make some returns to Nordstrom. My mom also found the dress she may be wearing to my wedding! And...I got to meet Katie and her husband Justin! We just chatted for a while in Nordstrom, so it was brief but fun! I'm looking forward to being able to actually get coffee or drinks or lunch one day when I'm in Portland for longer.
I had to crop out my feet because I was wearing my gold sandals and they looked weird. I only brought shorts and my white jeans home with me, and I only brought my gold sandals and my running shoes. It ended up being rainy, so I wore my gray jeans from the Anniversary Sale. The outfit was fine...except the shoes really didn't go very well. Katie and I both have this top. I found it through her blog, she found it through Christina's. It was a blog chain reaction. :) Oh, and my mom gave me this Kendra Scott Rayne necklace that she bought me in the sale as a surprise. It's my only KS jewelry because I'm way too cheap to pay for it myself, but I love it!
Jeans - Top - Necklace - Jacket

Michael came over while I was writing this part of the post. He likes to tease me about blogging. He puts on this cheesy voice and commentates. This was his alternate caption for this picture: "Oh my gosh. This is when I got to meet my best blog friend, Katie. Her husband's name was Justin, they got there just in time to meet. Lol, that was such a good joke. I'm so proud of myself right now." It cracked me up.

After Nordstrom we went to lunch at Punch Bowl Social. I was OBSESSED with the decor, and the food was great too!
My mom and I both had blueberry lemonade.
So, bacon jam is my new favorite thing. We ordered the deviled eggs appetizer, and they're topped with bacon jam. My delicious burger also had bacon jam on it. After we got home on Saturday, we just sat around and my best friend happened to be in town so she came over for a while, which was really great!

On Sunday we just hung out. We watched St. Vincent but I slept a little bit because...5:30 a.m. wake-up calls every morning. There was crazy traffic on the way home, so we decided to take back roads. There was apparently an hour and fifteen minute delay through Olympia and another twenty five minute delay through Tacoma. Taking the back roads (through tiny towns and farm country) only saved us about five minutes over sitting in traffic on I5, but I'd much rather be moving the entire time than be sitting on the freeway forever. Plus, our route was much more scenic!

We were starving by the time we got home, so we just ordered pizza--a gluten free one for Michael, and a regular one for me.

I always love my weekends at home! And my pups loved their small town neighborhood walks every day. I hope everyone else had a great weekend. I'm linking up with Biana for Weekending and Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk!

-Mattie

25 comments:

  1. Love the mason jars as cups at Punch Bowl Social! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. That blueberry lemonade..yum!! And those Wit & Wisdom jeans....they look so comfy and I do need a pair :) Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the food! Just, all of it. I just finished having breakfast and now I'm hungry again!

    Bacon jam actually isn't too hard to make at home if you're in love with it :) Just be forewarned that it takes a lot of bacon to make a little jam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great trip - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your weekend sounds fabulous! Michael's joke cracked me up, my goodness! Haha, too funny! My mouth is watering at all your food pictures, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my the food!!!! That lemonade looks so refreshing and bacon jam???? I have never heard of such a thing but must search it out now. That burger and appetizer look fabulous too. You guys look like you are dressed for fall or winter, you would die down here wearing that this time of year. Cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only got to dress like fall for one day!! It has been so hot other than that .

      Delete
  7. My boyfriend teases me about blogging too :) Love that you and Katie met up, so fun! And that's so nice 'home' is so close to you! Mine always involves a 4+ hour flight or 20+ hour drive home! Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The burgers and deviled eggs look sooooo delicious! I've never heard of bacon jam! But it sounds amazing! I wish we had more eating options around my town. Your food pictures always get me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, poor husbands of bloggers. They love to tease :)
    I love you cut out your shoes because you didn't like them but then tell us all about them so we envision gold shoes then :) Bloggers always confess all :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, my husband does the same thing to me! And what fun meeting a blogger best friend! I just love that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO FUN!!!! I never thought of a blueberry lemonade, but seriously now I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michael is pretty funny. I think he should have his own blog. It could basically just be a blog making fun of us. He would get lots of readers :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG Mattie those blueberry lemonades look SO YUMMY. They're making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aghhh those dishes look absolutely delicious!

    http://scienceofadornment.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. whoa whoa WHOA Bacon jam is real!?!?! Like, this isn't a dream right? It sounds amazing haha and I bet your gold sandals looked cute! And that's so cool you got to meet Katie, her blog is sooo cute!!!
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is bacon jam?!? Okay, I just Googled it.. I've never heard of it or seen it anywhere around here. It sounds interesting though. Maybe trucks are just guy thing? My fiance had a truck for awhile but traded it in for a car (for better gas mileage) & now he keeps talking about getting a truck again. Sounds like a fun weekend! Blog meetings are fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it is hilarious that you felt the need to explain why your feet weren't in the picture. Ha! I also think that I am hilarious because when I read about the greatness of bacon jam, I thought "bacon jam is the....jam." Goodness, I'm an idiot. But, we discussed that you like weird, so I feel like I'm okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you had a lovely time,
    I love your outfit

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a great weekend! i'm the same---no nuts or raisins in my bread pudding! i had one from kripsy kreme donuts and it was crazy good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you had such a great time visiting your parents! Sounds like you guys got a lot in! And love that pretty floral top and the KS necklace your mom surprised you with. So sweet!

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with you about driving! I'd much rather be moving! All of your food looks delicious. You are a food photographer extraordinare :) I love Michael's commentary while you type hahaha

    ReplyDelete