Northwest Native: Weekend Recap: Hour by Hour [#1]

Monday, July 13, 2015

Weekend Recap: Hour by Hour [#1]

A few weeks ago, Astleigh did an hour-by-hour weekend recap. A lot of readers (including me!) commented that we loved it, and many people wanted to try it out on their own blogs. So she started a link-up to share our hour by hour weekends, and I'm excited to be joining in! I'm also linking up with Biana for Weekending!

I will let you know that I definitely didn't take a picture every hour...or even every two hours. Trust me, a picture every hour from my weekend would've been the most boring blog post ever written. And I didn't want you guys to suffer through that, because I'm a giver.

FRIDAY


1 P.M. Technically, my weekend hadn't quite started yet at this point, but my Friday Starbucks tradition is a favorite way to end the week. I got one of these frappuccino sugar cookies that I've always thought looked pretty delicious. I was intrigued that it was white chocolate and chocolate on top of the cookie instead of frosting (I'm kind of picky about frosting). It was good, but the cookie seemed to have a hint of lemon-y flavor which I thought was strange. From my office, there are two Starbucks in different directions about the same distance away. While I was walking to one, I saw a sign in the window in this building under construction with a giant Starbucks logo and 'coming soon.' I could see the green umbrella from the other Starbucks about a block and a half away. You know you're in Seattle when...









5 P.M. I got off work at 4:30 and made my way home. We had plans to meet up with friends for drinks in Capitol Hill. I threw on my camo jacket and was proud of myself for being so bold in my print mixing! Then we headed out on the half hour walk to the bar.












6 P.M. We got to the bar in time for happy hour that ended at six. My go-to drink is a vodka soda with muddled lime or a gin and tonic. I went with the vodka soda this time.









10 P.M. Seattle is a very tolerant and progressive city in general, but Capitol Hill is especially so. There are a lot more rainbow flags around throughout the city after the Supreme Court decision, but Capitol Hill regularly sported rainbows long before that. They recently rainbow-fied their crosswalks! This was my first time seeing it in person. We went to Linda's Tavern (a place Kurt Cobain frequented) and they had a sign in the window that said it was an LGBTQ safe place, and if anyone saw any violence or discrimination to call 911. I thought that was really cool. (A few weeks ago a gay man was assaulted walking in Capitol Hill. Even in this progressive neighborhood, stuff like this sadly still happens.)










12 A.M. Our last stop of the night was Rancho Bravo. It's a fast food Mexican restaurant, but it's actually authentic and uses real, fresh ingredients. It's open really late so it's perfect for when you have the drunchies. After this, Michael and I walked back home and passed out!









SATURDAY









 8 A.M. In bed with the pups (and a still sleeping Michael), reading The Art of Racing in the Rain. I am loving it so far!


















12:30 P.M. Free Slurpee Day at Seven Eleven!











1 P.M. We had actually stopped at Seven Eleven to use the ATM on our way to the Polish Festival in the Seattle Center. We headed there and got lunch. I got these cheese crepes, which were delicious! It was really cool how many Polish people were there, and not just working the event! There were tons of attendees and volunteers speaking Polish. Michael has Polish roots, right down to his last name that I will soon be taking on! Michael told me this joke that I thought was hilarious. What's long and hard that a Polish wife gets on her wedding night? A new last name! Thankfully, Michael's last name is short and easy to pronounce and spell!





5 P.M. I had a return to make at Nordstrom, so I browsed the Anniversary Sale a little bit (online shopping for the sale can get overwhelming). I LOVED this dress. It would be sooo cute with booties or tall boots, and with sandals or wedges before it cools down too much. Don't worry, I didn't buy it. ;) I did try on a few of the things that I ordered online and know that a $50 purchase is going back, and I also have a $20 Nordstrom note that should be on its way to me...so I may have to buy this beauty later! Oh, and I did make one purchase! I found a very pretty but simple white dress in the sale for $30 that I bought to wear to my rehearsal dinner!

On my way out of Nordstrom, a guy came up to me. He surprised me. My first thought was honestly that he was distracting me and some other guy was going to swoop in and steal my wallet out of my purse or something--I seriously put my hand on my purse and pulled it closer to me. After that my guess was he wanted me to sign a petition. But no, he proceeded to flirt with me. I was shocked. I told you last week that I often don't wear makeup on the weekends. This day was not an exception...and I also have a not-so-attractive pimple right between my eyes.  (Now you know why my first instinct was that I was being robbed! Ha!)





8:45 P.M. We decided to watch Barefoot on Netflix because the plot seemed interesting enough and it had a pretty high rating. It was cute and funny, I recommend it! I had picked up some snacks (not pictured: microwave popcorn) because every time I go downtown (or anywhere?) without Michael he tells me to bring him back a present. I usually go with something edible because it doesn't break the bank. We were also not hungry for dinner because of our indulgence at the Polish Festival, so this ended up being our dinner.





SUNDAY




12 P.M. We returned our books to the library and Michael picked up some new ones (I already have three Kindle books checked out, so I really didn't need any more!). I posted a picture of the outside of the library a while ago. It looks cool from the inside too! Are all libraries super high-tech now? To check books out here, you scan your library card and set up to four books on this flat surface and it detects which ones they are (even if they're stacked on top of each other). The book drop to return has a conveyor belt and it goes up and runs along the ceiling to wherever the returned books go. My college library was definitely not this fancy.














12:45 P.M. On our walk back, we stopped at Starbucks near our apartment so we could drink it in the car on our way to Costco!

















2 P.M. I desperately wanted one of Costco's swirl frozen yogurts (so good and so cheap!), but the line was really long and we didn't feel like waiting. I got a Burger King sundae instead.














3 P.M. I got all domestic and started meal prep and cleaned. While the quinoa for the week was simmering, I did dishes and cleaned the bathtub. Meal prep has been really convenient and I think it keeps us eating healthier, but it's expensive. At Costco we were able to stock up on a lot of stuff that we can use to meal prep for weeks, and it was a lot cheaper overall than buying the same amount of food at the grocery store would've been.













6:30 P.M. I went to the gym at 5 and had dinner made by 6:30. This stuff is so good and easy! We got it at Costco, but apparently they don't actually carry it. The vendor just goes around visiting places and selling it. So I don't know where to find it, but if you do, it's really good! One packet is five servings, so I made a whole packet (we added ground turkey to it) and used it for two of our lunches for the week and for dinner.







7:30 P.M. I set out to finish addressing wedding invitations! The world is a cruel place. A few weeks ago, we ran out of stamps. I bought more, and then ran out of postcard stamps. I ordered postcard stamps online because I was sick of going to the Post Office after work. They took forever to arrive. Tonight, I ran out of stamps. Again. With four invites left to send. Thankfully, they're all bridesmaids/groomsmen so it's not too dire to wait to send theirs. The picture is a little preview of our invites! Michael designed the invites, RSVP postcard, and a little business card with the reception location with Photoshop, and we ordered them from Staples! I think they look awesome and we saved so much money!






8 P.M. I was waaay past overdue for a pedicure. One of my bridesmaids gifted me two pretty purple OPI polishes (our wedding colors are plum and orange with gold accents) and that Seche Vite top coat (which I've heard great things about!). I know the color is a little dark for summer, but it's kind of a bright dark purple. And I was dying to try it out! The other purple is even deeper. The wine was another shower gift...and was much needed after this busy and productive Sunday.







Phew, that was loooong! Sorry guys. This was a busier weekend for us than usual! Next hour by hour weekend I'll do less. ;)

-Mattie

32 comments:

  1. You're making me thirsty for some Starbucks!! Costco has the BEST little cafe. We can't leave there without getting something. If you have the mocha freeze at yours you need to try that next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the mocha freeze! If we hadn't just had Starbucks I probably would've been craving that instead!

      Delete
  2. Looks like such a good weekend! I love your bold patterns mixed together, all the Starbucks, and dark nail polish for summer (I'm currently sporting some myself)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those nail polishes. I got so much stuff from the Nordie's sale, I need to go through it all and really decide what I should keep and what is going back. I thought this year's sale was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun, full and delicious weekend you had! I love the dark nail polish for summer - it's always fun to switch it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought that same quinoa at Sam's Club this weekend... it IS so expensive!!!
    I always eye those cookies at Starbucks - they are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't mixing prints so terrifying and satisfying?! Haha, but really.
    I am so hungry after reading this post. SO hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That starbucks cookie looks so good!

    Love the colorful rainbows in capitol hill now. #lovewins

    Can't wait to see your wedding invites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to see the crosswalks! I need to do a wedding post and show our invites/some of our decor!

      Delete
  8. Every Friday I have Starbucks, too!! Such a nice reward at the end of the week!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun weekend! I like the hour by hour recap style. I might have to try it out sometime. Love that dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun! It'd be tiring to do every weekend, but the link-up is monthly (next one on August 10th!) which is just enough I think!

      Delete
  10. Mmmm Starbucks! The Costco here is too far away from me to be a place to go grocery shopping on the weekend. Supposedly one is supposed to be opening only 15 minutes away from us in the near future, so I am holding out for that!!! I miss having one near me. Looks like you had a fun weekend! I like that dress you are spying at Nordstrom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having the same problem with all of my meal prep stuff being so expensive!! Blah. I think it might work out in the long run. Or since you aren't really eating out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you did this too! Mine was definitely WAYYY longer so I am the one who needs to do less next time;) Ha! That Nordstrom floral dress is SO pretty! You must get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh don't tempt me! Honestly, people telling me to buy the dress/that they like it justifies purchasing it for me...which it shouldn't! Ha! I haven't gotten to your recap yet but I'm excited for it! I'm sure yours isn't too long. I just tend to feel like I'm boring people!

      Delete
  13. I wish we had Starbucks in my town! That dress from Nordstrom is super cute, you should get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Kylie are such enablers! ;) I seriously might need to buy it now! Haha!

      Delete
  14. I would probably get depressed if I did this, since my weekends involve 10+ hours of studying each day so I'm not going to join in but I loved this post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. THAT DRESS!!!! And your camo jacket....adorable. Love the hour by hour layout too!! Sounds like a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh everyone is pushing me towards purchasing that dress! I looove my camo jacket. Whenever I need a jacket, it's that or my denim one!

      Delete
  16. Wow... you had a pretty busy weekend. But it looks like you made lots of time for two of my favorite hobbies: eating and Starbucks! :-)
    Oh, and that dress is adorable... you NEED it. I can't wait to start buying stuff from the Nordstrom sale. I'm not a cardholder, so I'm patiently waiting.
    I hate meal prep, too, but it really is worth it. I am always looking for new ideas, though! Do you ever do food posts?
    Have a great week!
    BB
    http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com
    PS - That polish joke from Michael cracks me up, by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weekends often include lots of eating (one of our favorite hobbies too!). :) Oh my gosh I think everyone has convinced me to take the plunge and buy that dress!

      I haven't done any food posts, but maybe I should try it out! My cooking is generally really simple stuff, but I need more ideas for posts anyway. I thought that joke was so funny!

      Delete
  17. This is a good idea for a post! I really laughed at the joke about the Polish wife-- my fiance's last name is Czech (and it's long & hard, haha). Costco is a dangerous place sometimes. I have a hard time shopping there because I hate dropping so much money in one place yet it does save money in the long run. My brain just can't grasp that concept yet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay seeing that I started my diet today… this post was hard to read… crepes are one of my favorite foods! So jealous! haha Also love that nail polish.. what's it called?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, sorry! We tend to do our cheat eating on weekends...probably too much so. The polish is called 'Skating on Thin Ice-Land'!

      Delete
  19. Fun post! I love the print mixing plus read shoes that you wore out for drinks. Very cute! Isn't it sad that bars/shops need to post whether they are LGBT friendly? But, it's nice that they do. I want to faceplant into those cheese crepes. I'm in a bad way when it comes to needing a mani/pedi. I'm terrible at doing it myself, but I keep telling myself that I'm going to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahh I can't believe I missed free slurpee day!! What a bummer! Glad you had a good weekend. All of your food pics make me hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm straight up DYYYING to try that starbucks cookie. ONE DAY I WILL… but SO WEIRD about the lemony cookie part!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you had a great weekend! That Starbucks cookies looks delicious...minus the lemon flavor. Oh and those Cheetos are pretty much my favorite thing ever! Love that nail polish color too!

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great weekend! Those cheese crepes look and sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a fun post! Your Mexican food looks AMAZING...and your library is so awesome. Definitely seems super high tech than what I am used to!

    ReplyDelete